MiLB Re-Brands: Tennessee Smokies

bohob

Ok, I've been working on this re-brand for a little while, on and off. I originally had a cougar mascot, but it didn't fit the rest of the package, so I tested it on K-State. For this concept, I kept the concept from the current logo, focusing on the Great Smoky Mountains. But where the current logo uses a serif font and thin outlines, I developed a custom script (and a Tennessee script to come) and bold lines. I didn't use the trees from the current logo, as I thought it would be too cluttered. I added a baseball to the sky because IMO the current logo doesn't look enough like a baseball logo. The three stars in the S represent the state of Tennessee (see: Tennessee flag), although it turns out the new Jackson Generals had the same idea. I have multiple options for color palettes and the solidity of the mountains. C&C please.

smokies_primary.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, when I think of smoke I think grey. The blue really seems counter-intuitive, as it represents water, which would counter smoke. Am I overthinking this, or?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I like your idea, but I think the script could use a lot of work. The "Sm" have a ton of character, then the rest just gradually drops into boring, and then illegible(just the "s"). If you can work on that a little bit you'll have a great concept here, because the rest is great. As for colors, each option you have there seems to fall short. I'd use the bottom variation of the logo and start with natural baseball colors, White ball, Red stitches. Then, I'd make the shading on the ball, mountains, and stitching offset/shadow Light Blue. What is currently Navy, around the script and ball, I would match to the same Red used for stitches. Then delete the script 3D effect. You'd be left with a simplified Red/Light Blue/White color scheme that is unique and matches the area IMO. Good work.

I really like this, and I'd say that the bottom right option is definitely the best. I like having the red as the accent color (it's more appropriate for the stitches and for flag stars), and the blue baseball scene better evokes that Smoky Mountain feeling. Along that same vein, the softer, more subdued mountains are definitely more appropriate than the strong dark ones.

I agree that some of the letters need some work. To me, both the I and the E look a bit thin; the E's general shape should be closer to that of the O; and the E also seems like it's stretching very far to reach out to the final S.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

@ aci: I don't think you're overthinking it. However, I had tried a grey, and it didn't look "Tennessee" enough at the time. I'll revisit it.

@ eray & dgn: I will work on the script. Unfortunately, that means redrafting by hand, so it might take a couple days.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

I like both versions of the mountains. What I don't think fits are the 3 stars on the "S". I understand the reason they're there...but they just look out of place. Sort of like someone decided that since "Tennessee" is in the name, then the logo should use a random bunch of 3 stars.

gYH2mW9.png

Having had a lot of vacations around the Blue Ridge and Smokies, the bottom two capture the look of the mountains the best.

I totally agree. The light blue mountain blending into the halftone gradient really captures the 'smokiness' of the Smoky Mountains. I would change it so that the mountain overlaps the lacing like in the top row. I would also try to find a way to make the 'Tennessee' a bit larger like those in the top row as well. Other than that, these are really well done.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

UPDATE:

? New color options including option with grey and burgundy.

? Updated type. I worked on kerning, thickness and the swoosh.

? dgn, I agree with the mountain needing to be subtle to get that hazy feel of the Great Smokies.

? The three stars are small and less prominent.

C&C please.

smokies_primary2.jpg

Top middle is definitely a winner in my books!

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived