The Future of the NFL

Drakonius26

If there's a lockout, the real loser's the city of Indianapolis. We're doing a lotta construction for SBXLVI (and built an airport terminal partly because of it) and it'd be a shame for the new hotels being built, and businesses if the lockout did occur.

If a city has to build new hotels and a new terminal just to host a Super Bowl, maybe said city shouldn't be the host. What's going to happen when the game is over and all of those hotels are empty because... well, it's Indianapolis?

Final Four's every other fu*king year...

In addition to the Final Four, when the RCA Dome was imploded, construction started on an expansion of the Convention Center, formerly one of the biggest in the nation, to get back some of the big conventions they've lost. The Super Bowl wasn't the only reason we did all that, but it was certainly a part of it.

FWIW, I can't wait to see the media rip Indianapolis to shreds come SBXLVI.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, there will be professional football in 2011.

UFL.jpg

So relax!

Yeah! The UFL is awesome. Even more so now that all the uniforms don't look the same.

The UFL's season is much shorter, so I'm sure it'll hold the short attention spans of Americans long enough for them to see the championship game.

Guys, there will be professional football in 2011.

UFL.jpg

So relax!

Yeah! The UFL is awesome. Even more so now that all the uniforms don't look the same.

The UFL's season is much shorter, so I'm sure it'll hold the short attention spans of Americans long enough for them to see the championship game.

Yup, because NFL fans would never choose watching college football to fill the void when they can watch the UFL. :D

BB52Big.jpg

I can do it for you now if you like. :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

If there's a lockout, the real loser's the city of Indianapolis. We're doing a lotta construction for SBXLVI (and built an airport terminal partly because of it) and it'd be a shame for the new hotels being built, and businesses if the lockout did occur.

If a city has to build new hotels and a new terminal just to host a Super Bowl, maybe said city shouldn't be the host. What's going to happen when the game is over and all of those hotels are empty because... well, it's Indianapolis?

In addition to the Final Four, when the RCA Dome was imploded, construction started on an expansion of the Convention Center, formerly one of the biggest in the nation, to get back some of the big conventions they've lost. The Super Bowl wasn't the only reason we did all that, but it was certainly a part of it.

I've only driven through Indianapolis, so I wouldn't know... but is Indy really THAT bad?

I ask because reporters and NBA players have bad-mouthed Milwaukee a number of times, but it becomes clear from their descriptions that (a.) their definition of "nightlife" is limited to high-end strip joints and clubs of the self-consciously pretentious "platinum" and "VIP" variety (and b.) they never bothered to venture more than a mile from their downtown hotel.

Besides, if sportswriters ever trash your city, it's best to remind yourself that they're sportswriters and if they had any semblance of value to society they'd have a job that required a pulse and a brain :D

Indianapolis is kind of like Milwaukee with about half the "Actually Kinda Cool When You Look Around" factor, at best. The best thing it has going for it is that if you have to gather a bunch of people from around the Midwest, it's relatively convenient to do so there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why do I have the feeling that a Super Bowl in Indianapolis will be like one in Jacksonville? Final Fours and Super Bowls are completely different, when it comes to holding events. Besides, I've driven though Indianapolis on quite a few occasions, and beyond the people, the city doesn't seem... "Super Bowl-quality."

I wonder though, if they do lose a season, would they automatically be given the Super Bowl following the one in New York/New Jersey?

I can do it for you now if you like. :D

Please do! :D

I've only driven through Indianapolis, so I wouldn't know... but is Indy really THAT bad?

I ask because reporters and NBA players have bad-mouthed Milwaukee a number of times, but it becomes clear from their descriptions that (a.) their definition of "nightlife" is limited to high-end strip joints and clubs of the self-consciously pretentious "platinum" and "VIP" variety (and b.) they never bothered to venture more than a mile from their downtown hotel.

Besides, if sportswriters ever trash your city, it's best to remind yourself that they're sportswriters and if they had any semblance of value to society they'd have a job that required a pulse and a brain :D

It's not THAT bad, but it's no South Beach, Tampa, Phoenix, San Diego, or Dallas. I mean, I don't really necessarily like Indiana and Indy, but it's a nice city all things considered...

Why do I have the feeling that a Super Bowl in Indianapolis will be like one in Jacksonville? Final Fours and Super Bowls are completely different, when it comes to holding events. Besides, I've driven though Indianapolis on quite a few occasions, and beyond the people, the city doesn't seem... "Super Bowl-quality."

I wonder though, if they do lose a season, would they automatically be given the Super Bowl following the one in New York/New Jersey?

That's exactly what I think'll happen. We'll have to see though.

6fQjS3M.png

Are there any outside (Non-NFL / Non-NFLPA) issues that could affect the labor dispute? For example, if the Owners lockout the players could the Owners/NFL face pressure from other companies they have contracts with? Do the TV networks (FOX/CBS/NBC/ESPN/DirecTV), EA or Reebok have a voice in the dispute? Due there contracts with the NFL address issue of a possible labor stoppage? Could any of those companies file lawsuits againist the owners for lost income as a result of the lockout?

Also, would the cities that own/operate the stadiums still be able to collect rent from the owners if a lockout occurs?

~~the dmr~~

Are there any outside (Non-NFL / Non-NFLPA) issues that could affect the labor dispute? For example, if the Owners lockout the players could the Owners/NFL face pressure from other companies they have contracts with? Do the TV networks (FOX/CBS/NBC/ESPN/DirecTV), EA or Reebok have a voice in the dispute? Due there contracts with the NFL address issue of a possible labor stoppage? Could any of those companies file lawsuits againist the owners for lost income as a result of the lockout?

Also, would the cities that own/operate the stadiums still be able to collect rent from the owners if a lockout occurs?

~~the dmr~~

Those are a lot of questions. We do not know the details of all the NFL's contracts with its partners, but we have access to the CBA and its wording.

All of the TV, NFL equipment, and game licensing revenue is pooled into what the CBA considers TR (Total Revenue). TR has ten different subsets from TV revenue, to club seat/suite revenue, to parking. The TV contracts, as currently written allow the team owners to receive this money but the NFLPA has filed suit to place 2011 TV revenue into esgrow.

Every lease is different. The Bills' lease has a strike clause, but not a lockout clause.

FYI, you can download the current CBA at nfllabor.com

In fairness, a lot of former players eat the way they did when training, but without the exercise.

And I have original comic book art on my wall. Meeting girls at bars has long been out of the question for me. :)

When you get that much money so early, there is the thought which you will earn the same amount of money for the next 20-35 years.

By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.

Archived