2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to say this Caps fans, but since you were the visiting team for this year's Winter Classic you are destined to make it to the Stanley Cup Final and lose. :P

At last! Someone else who has noticed that!

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'll take it! As Red looves to point out, any playoff series win for us is a huge victory.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Sorry to say this Caps fans, but since you were the visiting team for this year's Winter Classic you are destined to make it to the Stanley Cup Final and lose. :P

Dont get their hopes up, this would presume they make it past the first round.

Oh, snap!

Reminds me of a joke:

A guy walks into a bar and asks for the tender to make him a cocktail he's never had before. "Just make something up."

So the tender pours vodka, cream and sugar on the bar directly. He says "There you go. 5.50."

The guy says, "What do you call that?!"

The tender says "It's called an Ovechkin. It's a white Russian without a Cup."

In my opinion the weather was normally an advantage for the Pens, its well known that the Caps like to get fancy and the Pens are the keep it simple team...

:lol:

[theregoesmazwhiningagain]

That's one of the pens' problems - they don't keep it simple. Especially on the power play.

They made plays last night that might have worked, barely, inside. But last night all that blew up in their face. Granted, it was outside, and throwing staal in the lineup probably messed up their chemistry since it messed up the lines, including the recently-productive third line, but hopefully they learn from this and stop trying to make the perfect highlight reel play every time.

People other than Sid need to score. The powerplay is terrible.

[/theregoesmazwhiningagain]

Didn't they win a Cup and Crosby becoming master of all things hockey by keeping it simple? What happened? The way HBO portrays Bylsma is him being a great tactical genius. I'm honestly intrigued as to what made them switch from what made them successful in the playoffs. Maybe they dont feel the need to play that way till the playoffs?

Bylsma is a tactical genius, for the most part. The thing is, sometimes they try to much to be geniuses and make the right play when all they gotta do is to just, well, do it. This is mostly why the power play is so bad. Sometimes, they should just shoot. You're not always going to get the goalie out of position or make the defense look foolish. After they won the cup, the following major issues appeared the next season: Fleury was average at best, there wasn't secondary scoring, Malkin fell off the face of the earth, the powerplay was awful, they don't know how to play from behind anymore, and they try too hard to make the right play as opposed to the smart one. Only thing that has gotten better is Fleury, who is having a great season. Other than that, the power play still sucks, Malkin is still average, only Sidney is scoring (granted, at legendary pace), and as evidenced partly by last night, they can't play from behind. They get sloppy and frustrated and panic. Part of what won them the cup was being able to face the adversity and get it done, and to take advantage of the other team's mistakes. That's how they came back from three goals down vs. Philly, or from a 1 game to 3 deficit against Washington and Detroit.

I have faith in the pens. They have done great this year so far, despite all of that. But if some of those things don't get better, then they aren't going to win the cup, if they even make the finals. Looking at pens history, the dominant regular season teams have always been the disappointing ones in the playoffs.

It was really refreshing to see Pittsburgh's stadium get invaded for once, since you know, they invade everyone else's home stadiums.

Hell yeah. There were large swaths of red in the crowd. I was proud to be a Caps fan seeing us invade someone elses stadium.

This is only because the NHL designated tickets for Caps fans. If the NHL doesn't do this, it's all Pens fans. Guaranteed.

Also, your friends didn't do you guys any favors. Worst group of away fans I have ever seen. I usually give away fans the benefit of the doubt and focus on the good ones, but I don't think I saw a single tolerable caps fan last night. Worse than a Montreal, Toronto, or even Philly crowd.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

It was really refreshing to see Pittsburgh's stadium get invaded for once, since you know, they invade everyone else's home stadiums.

Hell yeah. There were large swaths of red in the crowd. I was proud to be a Caps fan seeing us invade someone elses stadium.

This is only because the NHL designated tickets for Caps fans. If the NHL doesn't do this, it's all Pens fans. Guaranteed.

Also, your friends didn't do you guys any favors. Worst group of away fans I have ever seen. I usually give away fans the benefit of the doubt and focus on the good ones, but I don't think I saw a single tolerable caps fan last night.

Thats pretty subjective TBH. You guys lost, our fans were happy, alot of Pens fans left early. Of course we were gonna cheer and be loud, it was a night game, on New Years weekend, most of the fans were I'm sure pretty well lubricated, theres gonna be obnoxious people on both sides. I heard it was a pretty good crowd on both sides with a few fights to be had but thats expected with all the hours of tailgating that was done.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Also, your friends didn't do you guys any favors. Worst group of away fans I have ever seen. I usually give away fans the benefit of the doubt and focus on the good ones, but I don't think I saw a single tolerable caps fan last night. Worse than a Montreal, Toronto, or even Philly crowd.

So now you know how everyone else feels about you guys! :P

6fQjS3M.png

Well, the Blue Jackets are just a few minutes away from making it 15 straight losses in Nashville. *sigh*

*smashes nearest lamp*

I could stomach it (or at least understand it) if it were against Detroit or against one of the better Eastern Conference teams of the last decade, but it's freaking Nashville. I really thought things were going to be different when we scored 37 seconds into the game.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It really wasn't a invasion, the Caps got a allotment of 30,000 tickets that they used around 26,000 of. It was like a bowl game ticket wise, but the NHL screwed up by not having the seating like a bowl game or neutral site college football game.

The NHL also screwed up with the Alumni Game, they could have had over 60,000 for that easily.

I love how ol Teddy demanded as many tickets being allocated to Washington as there were, but yet when Pens fans try and show up to a game in Washington he blocks ticket sales to anything outside of the DC Metro area.

The NHL also screwed up with the Alumni Game, they could have had over 60,000 for that easily.

The explanation I heard was that the NHL was still trying to prep the site for the Classic and couldnt have 60,000 running around for the alumni game, otherwise I agree completely. I was reading a number of people who were more excited to see Mario come back in that game then they were for the classic itself.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Mindless, in reference to the conditions concerning our bet, the Caps have earned you the right to choose what the loser of the bet uses as their signature.

The Penguin vs. The Capital. Seeing how the NHL Guardian Project by Marvel is shaping up to be quite the horrendous publicity stunt, the non-winner of this seasons bet must incorporate the oppositions mascot in a positive and supportive light in their signature, and as their only signature image, until the end of the NHL Playoffs or whenever the victor sees fit (e.g., to break a playoff jinx or start of the 2011-12 NHL Season).

I love how ol Teddy demanded as many tickets being allocated to Washington as there were, but yet when Pens fans try and show up to a game in Washington he blocks ticket sales to anything outside of the DC Metro area.

Considering this is a League event and not a "Penguins" event, he had the right. This was a "Hey Ted, would you like your team to play in this game?" type deal. He could've said no, but he said yes with such and such conditions and the League gave in.

Archived