Chicago Riot... Really?

Brian in Boston

The MISL (league officials assure us that it stands for Major Indoor Soccer League, not Most Insignificant Sports League) has announced that its newest member-franchise is...

the CHICAGO RIOT!!!

No word on whether the name is a reference to the Chicago Race Riots of 1919, the April of 1968 riots that roiled Chicago's West Side following the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr., or the riots that coincided with the August of 1968 Democratic National Convention. Maybe the name simply recognizes that it is laughable to believe that any (ostensibly) professional sports franchise that unveils its existence less than a month before playing its first game is going to enjoy success, either on or off the field... particularly in the niche enterprise of indoor soccer.

No matter how you cut it, if the name is a take-off on any of Chicago's historical riots, it is tremendously offensive. And that's in a municipality with an existing pro team named after a conflagration that killed hundreds, left over 100,000 homeless and destroyed in excess of $200-million in property.

Wow!

Will they play in Hoffman Estates? Just curious.

Yeah, head the league will have 5 teams, Philadelphia and Monterrey are sitting this season out.

Hey, the Kansas City Comets are back............................sort of. Same old 1980's logo, but now called the Missouri Comets (gag). They'll call the Independence Event Center (suburban KC) their home.

The name is odd, but I'm more surprised by the facts that (1) professional indoor soccer found yet another sucker to take a crack at the Chicago market, and (2) the team will be playing in 2010-11, essentially starting up FOUR WEEKS after being announced. I know the reason behind it, but it's still an incredibly odd move.

nav-logo.png

But Hurricanes, Earthquake, Pirates, Buccaneers, Vikings, Lightning, Sharks...and the list could go on for mascots that kill. And both the Earthquakes and Hurricanes are as location specific as the Riot. I think it is just a tad of a PC overkill.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Here is a logo Contest... Not sure if it's "Official".

Some are pretty cool. I like the "Sears" Tower used as the "I". I like (4) except for the "CHICAGO" font. Also like (5), (10) and (19)...

Chicago Riot Logo Contest

I know the red marks on some of the logos are stars from the Chicago flag, but when coupled with the name they remind me of bullet wounds/blood stains.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

That's along the lines of naming the Oklahoma City Thunder as the Oklahoma City Bombers(although it has a nice ring to it-no disrespect).

Bombers was kicked around for the NHL team OKC never got to tie in to Tinker AFB and the bomber wing there. Midwest City, immediately adjacent to Tinker, uses Bombers for their HS mascot. The Bombers concept was pretty much shelved after the Murrah blast.

Archived