2 LA Groups Show Interest in Vikings

RAIDERNATION

FYI, it doesn't matter who wins the recount (BTW, the democrat, Dayton's lead seems pretty safe at 8700 votes), both he and Emmer (the republican) support a Vikings stadium (independant Horner did too, but he finished a distant third):

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/6612098-minnesotas-next-governor-supports-vikings-stadium

The biggest problem Dayton will have is the problem he'll have for everything - he's a democrat and the legislature is republican controlled. Ah, gotta love politics...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TCF Stadium was built to be expandable to up to 80,000 seats, so the ideas been kicked around. But I think a lot of Gopher alums (who tend to make up a majority of the Minnesota state legislature) blame the lack of a good football program on their having played second banana to the Vikings all these years and aren't willing to let it happen again in their building.

The Gopher alumni can piss up a rope. If they want the loss of the Minnesota Vikings on their hands because they're buttsore about having shared the Metrodome, see where that takes you.

I'm sure Zygi Wilf has the money to fix the place up into an NFL stadium. He should be able to cover most or all of that. He's a billionaire.

As I understand it, location is the main reason why a permanently shared stadium was a non-starter. The Gophers specifically wanted their stadium on campus, while the Vikings wanted to remain in downtown Minneapolis (except for Zygi's short-lived proposal to put the stadium in a north metro suburb).

Also, doesn't the NFL still want two teams in LA (one per conference, so that future TV rights packages don't lose value by one conference having LA and the other not)? If so, the Jags, Bills and Chargers aren't exactly home free even if the Vikings move happens.

CCSLC signature.png

Maybe you cam move the Jaguars went to the NFC West, the Rams moved to the NFC South and the Panthers moved to the AFC South.

Well, that's easier for me on the fatwa issuing front. I don't want to have to hate a new Conference all of a sudden. Unfortunately, I don't really want to play New Orleans, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay twice a year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

FYI, it doesn't matter who wins the recount (BTW, the democrat, Dayton's lead seems pretty safe at 8700 votes), both he and Emmer (the republican) support a Vikings stadium (independant Horner did too, but he finished a distant third):

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/6612098-minnesotas-next-governor-supports-vikings-stadium

The biggest problem Dayton will have is the problem he'll have for everything - he's a democrat and the legislature is republican controlled. Ah, gotta love politics...

Oh yeah, I forgot about this too:

http://www.allvoices.com/s/event-7375185/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zdGFydHJpYnVuZS5jb20vcG9saXRpY3MvbG9jYWwvMTA4ODMwMDU0Lmh0bWw/cGFnZT0yJmM9eQ==

Not saying it's a slam dunk, but it at least looks like most at the legislature are willing to talk about it this year. Something that hasn't been the case lately...

Also, doesn't the NFL still want two teams in LA (one per conference, so that future TV rights packages don't lose value by one conference having LA and the other not)? If so, the Jags, Bills and Chargers aren't exactly home free even if the Vikings move happens.

The NFC has always had most of the bigger markets, so I doubt that would be a huge concern for them now. If it were the case, they'd probably want to limit LA to one team for the AFC. But I think the NFL really only wants one team in LA (regardless of conference) so the rest of the league can still use the possibility of a second LA team as leverage.

Well, just move the Vikes to LA to become the Condors, and let Minneapolis invoke the Browns Clause, and once Ralphie dies, send the Bills in there too to become the Dons, because they've never really liked "William" and always felt like more of a "Donald" or a "Donovan" than anything.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well, just move the Vikes to LA to become the Condors, and let Minneapolis invoke the Browns Clause, and once Ralphie dies, send the Bills in there too to become the Dons, because they've never really liked "William" and always felt like more of a "Donald" or a "Donovan" than anything.

But the Rams don't want to be renamed the Vikings.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

But the Rams don't want to be renamed the Vikings.

And this begins the cavalcade of "I recolored the Rams unis Purple and yellow, what do you guys think?" concepts.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

As I understand it, location is the main reason why a permanently shared stadium was a non-starter. The Gophers specifically wanted their stadium on campus, while the Vikings wanted to remain in downtown Minneapolis (except for Zygi's short-lived proposal to put the stadium in a north metro suburb).

That has never made much sense to me. The new Gophers football stadium is two miles from the Metrodome. Walking distance. It's not like the Gophers were moving to St. Cloud.

And now that the University has a stadium, and the Vikings do not, what's the difficulty? The Mississippi is hardly the Rubicon.

I sure hope that the Vikings won't be moving to LA; I'd much rather see the Rams, Chargers, Jaguars, or Raiders head there (my preferences are in that order). I'd have to wait until 2015 to hear about the Los Angeles Rams again. However, things are looking woefully dim for Minnesota right now if something isn't done...right now.

True enough, but the Twin Cities have shown themselves to be a good market. The same cannot be said for St. Louis.

The only thing keeping the Rams out of LA in 2015 would be another NFC team beating them there. Be a shame were it the Vikes.

Surely you either jest or are looking for the expected rise out of me.

St. Louis has proven to be a good market. I believe in 15 years they've had 4 blackouts, with 3 coming last year in a 1-15 season capping a 6-42 stretch of 3-seasons. Though it's gotten close, there have been no blackouts this year as interest and attendance are back on the rise now that the city is being treated to a competitive team. I doubt you can show me 5 markets that would resist blackouts in a stretch like the Rams had with ticket prices where they are, especially in this economy.

St. Louis as a market hasn't done a single thing wrong.

If the Rams move it will be 100% due to issues with the stadium, just as is the case with the Vikings. I'm entirely confident Stan Kroenke will have worked out a compromise with the city that will culminate in it helping him building a new stadium in the next decade but not necessarily by the lease's current 2015 clause. I'd suggest that your theory that if LA is open in 2015, the Rams are a sure thing is entirely on the wrong side of the odds.

I'd bet it's 80/20 Kroenke finds a way to keep the Rams in St. Louis and satisfy his desire's as a businessman.

Your intent or not, theres your rise outta me.

St. Louis has proven to be a good market. I believe in 15 years they've had 4 blackouts, with 3 coming last year in a 1-15 season capping a 6-42 stretch of 3-seasons. Though it's gotten close, there have been no blackouts this year as interest and attendance are back on the rise now that the city is being treated to a competitive team. I doubt you can show me 5 markets that would resist blackouts in a stretch like the Rams had with ticket prices where they are, especially in this economy.

I'm not going to dig up the links at the moment, but they've been blacked out a lot more than that, and have staved off many more blackouts through a combination of eating the loss on tickets or letting the stadium get taken over by thousands of road fans. (Or both)

Debatable, but the bottom line is tickets aren't being bought.

If the Rams move it will be 100% due to issues with the stadium, just as is the case with the Vikings. I'm entirely confident Stan Kroenke will have worked out a compromise with the city that will culminate in it helping him building a new stadium in the next decade but not necessarily by the lease's current 2015 clause. I'd suggest that your theory that if LA is open in 2015, the Rams are a sure thing is entirely on the wrong side of the odds.

Since the only way the Edward Jones Dome replacement is being built in St. Louis is through private funds, I suspect efforts at negotiations are so much whistling in the wind-people like Kroenke don't get rich by building stuff, but by having other people build things for them.

I'd bet it's 80/20 Kroenke finds a way to keep the Rams in St. Louis and satisfy his desire's as a businessman.

It's far closer to a coin flip, and every ticket that goes unsold, and every year that they just "talk" about replacing the Dome is another justification to move the team out of town. Whether to LA, San Antonio, Toronto, Orlando, or a Minnesota wrought with seller's remorse.

Today, we are all otaku.

There you have it.

The only reason the Rams don't have regular blackouts is that the team is buying up unsold tickets. See how long the new owner is willing to do that - rich people don't get and stay rich by spending money on literally nothing.

I'm sorry if you don't like hearing it, but there's no escaping the fact that the Rams have to be a part of any relocation discussion.

Let me just say, getting around on gamedays in the areas surrounding TCF Bank Stadium is already hell. Add 30,000 more people and alcohol, and well...

I guess TCF Bank Stadium is such a nice place that I don't want all the dirty, weird Vikings fans coming in and trashing the place.

I don't really see what the bfd is with the Metrodome. For baseball games it was a toilet, but I find it perfectly acceptable for football.

/ignorant young folk.

TCF Bank Stadium is such a nice place that I don't want all the dirty, weird Vikings fans coming in and trashing the place.

Haha, what constitutes a rude Minnesota sports fan? Someone who lets you buy him a beer without turning your offer down three times?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

TCF Bank Stadium is such a nice place that I don't want all the dirty, weird Vikings fans coming in and trashing the place.

Haha, what constitutes a rude Minnesota sports fan? Someone who lets you buy him a beer without turning your offer down three times?

Little early for a "post of the day," don't you think? ;)

I'm not going to dig up the links at the moment, but they've been blacked out a lot more than that, and have staved off many more blackouts through a combination of eating the loss on tickets or letting the stadium get taken over by thousands of road fans. (Or both)

Since the only way the Edward Jones Dome replacement is being built in St. Louis is through private funds, I suspect efforts at negotiations are so much whistling in the wind-people like Kroenke don't get rich by building stuff, but by having other people build things for them.

It's far closer to a coin flip, and every ticket that goes unsold, and every year that they just "talk" about replacing the Dome is another justification to move the team out of town. Whether to LA, San Antonio, Toronto, Orlando, or a Minnesota wrought with seller's remorse.

I seriously don't get this wet dream everybody has about the Rams moving back to LA. Yes, Kroenke is a businessman, but he's also a native Missourian who has stated he intends on keeping them in St. Louis. Even Kahn, the guy from Illinois who almost got the team, had no intentions of moving them. No, I'm not saying it's a 100% certainty they'll stay, but the odds are now greatly in favor of it.

I seriously don't get this wet dream everybody has about the Rams moving back to LA. Yes, Kroenke is a businessman, but he's also a native Missourian who has stated he intends on keeping them in St. Louis. Even Kahn, the guy from Illinois who almost got the team, had no intentions of moving them. No, I'm not saying it's a 100% certainty they'll stay, but the odds are now greatly in favor of it.

Kroenke married into Wal Mart money. He does not care what Missourians, or indeed, the general hoi polloi think of him.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived