2 LA Groups Show Interest in Vikings

RAIDERNATION

If any of these scenarios happen, Vikings must leave name and colors in Minnesota like the Browns did.

Name and identity, sure. But I think purple & gold would work for an LA team (for fairly obvious reasons).

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And without fan interest, there won't be one.

I agree that the Bills experimented with Toronto to test the relocation waters, but it proved those waters far too chilly.

Sorry, I disagree... the tickets were just far too expensive. Average ticket price for an NFL game in Toronto is US$144, which is double the NFL average ticket price of US$72.50 and US$30 higher than the most expensive team in the league (New England)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I think everyone's wise to the arena-on-spec scam. Unless any new stadia are being built in the Eastern time zone any time soon, I think the Bills are safe in Buffalo.

The franchise could make more money in a hypothetical better market, but that better market doesn't exist now and likely won't until the end of the decade (unless more stupid populaces tax themselves for billionaires' playthings, which hopefully won't happen any time soon).

It might be knight in shining armor dreaming, but hasn't Jim Kelly been putting together a group to buy the Bills when they're available? Tom Golisano may well be another local option.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I agree that the Bills experimented with Toronto to test the relocation waters, but it proved those waters far too chilly.

Sorry, I disagree... the tickets were just far too expensive. Average ticket price for an NFL game in Toronto is US$144, which is double the NFL average ticket price of US$72.50 and US$30 higher than the most expensive team in the league (New England)

This is all well and good, but regardless I don't want to see the NFL in Toronto. I like the CFL.

This is all well and good, but regardless I don't want to see the NFL in Toronto. I like the CFL.

+1

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I don't want to see it happen either, but I'm starting to wonder if the Bills in Toronto would really be the death knell to the CFL that everyone is predicting. As far as I can tell, most of the CFL's support comes from the western provinces anyway. Couldn't they just continue on without Toronto the way the NFL has done without LA for all these years?

I would HATE to see the Argos go, they have been in existence since 1873! They the oldest professional football team in North America, and the oldest team in North America to still retain its original name. Getting rid of that for the Bills would be an absolute tragedy. (Nothing against the Bills)

niagaraq.png

I think everyone's wise to the arena-on-spec scam. Unless any new stadia are being built in the Eastern time zone any time soon, I think the Bills are safe in Buffalo.

The franchise could make more money in a hypothetical better market, but that better market doesn't exist now and likely won't until the end of the decade (unless more stupid populaces tax themselves for billionaires' playthings, which hopefully won't happen any time soon).

It might be knight in shining armor dreaming, but hasn't Jim Kelly been putting together a group to buy the Bills when they're available? Tom Golisano may well be another local option.

He has, but the reality is that unless Ralph Wilson's will stipulates something other than what he's publicly stated would be the case, when he dies the team goes on the auction block to the highest bidder. Kelly & Co. will be able to bid for a franchise in Buffalo, while other groups will readily see the team's value in a larger market, and will bid up to that point - thereby ensuring that the team relocates.

nav-logo.png

I don't want to see it happen either, but I'm starting to wonder if the Bills in Toronto would really be the death knell to the CFL that everyone is predicting. As far as I can tell, most of the CFL's support comes from the western provinces anyway. Couldn't they just continue on without Toronto the way the NFL has done without LA for all these years?

It would kill the CFL. The league would be without teams in two of the four largest markets in the nation if the Argos disappeared (a big part of the reason the league didn't revoke the franchise when it went bankrupt a few years ago), and while the CFL already has a sort-of equivalent of being without a team in LA (Ottawa), losing the Argonauts would be akin to not having a team in Los Angeles and New York, which simply isn't going to permit the league to survive.

nav-logo.png

It would kill the CFL. The league would be without teams in two of the four largest markets in the nation if the Argos disappeared (a big part of the reason the league didn't revoke the franchise when it went bankrupt a few years ago), and while the CFL already has a sort-of equivalent of being without a team in LA (Ottawa), losing the Argonauts would be akin to not having a team in Los Angeles and New York, which simply isn't going to permit the league to survive.

Also, wouldn't the Toronto Bills also finish off the Ti-Cats as well as doing in the Argos?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The problem with that theory is, the advertising revenue comes from Toronto. If the Bills move in, where do you think that advertising dollar goes?

The CFL is experiencing the greatest popularity its ever known. Over 6 million people watched the Grey Cup, attendance is up, expansion into Ottawa and the Maritimes is a foregone conclusion. Let the NFL stay in the US.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I echo a lot of sentiment on the Bills not moving to Toronto. Besides if Toronto residents wanted to see NFL football, wouldn't it be cheaper to drive a decent hour and a half and spend less on tickets than it would to see the Bills play in the middle of downtown Toronto? If anything, I hope Jim Kelly and company can keep the Bills around and simply renovate the Ralph in the near future. That would be for the best.

FWIW, the Chargers just announced they are staying in San Diego in 2011 (not that I'd expected anything else, especially with lockout still looming).

I have my money on the Chargers exercising their out-clause in time to head to Los Angeles for either the 2012 or 2013 NFL season. I can see them playing a single season in either the Rose Bowl or Coliseum, then setting-up shop in the new downtown stadium in time for 2013 or 2014. Such an eventuality will require an aggressive construction schedule, but we're not exactly talking about building in Nome, Alaska.

2011 is a crucial year insofar as the future of the Chargers goes. If Bolts ownership/management sees AEG make significant headway with the government leaders regarding their proposed stadium development during the next year, I can't see the team staying in San Diego. I just don't envision San Diego political leaders acting unilaterally to commit significant public funds to a Chargers stadium project. So, in lieu of that, they'll put it out to a referendum vote. Chargers fans can talk all they want about their love for the team, but there's no way a stadium-financing referendum is going to pass in San Diego. Many San Diegans now openly question the wisdom of committing significant public funding to Petco Park, only to have the Padres fail to retain players like Adrian Gonzalez, let alone become involved in the free-agent market.

FWIW, the Chargers just announced they are staying in San Diego in 2011 (not that I'd expected anything else, especially with lockout still looming).

I have my money on the Chargers exercising their out-clause in time to head to Los Angeles for either the 2012 or 2013 NFL season.

Even being a Chargers fan from L.A., I would hate to see them leave America's Finest City. They've been there for so long it's hard to imagine them anywhere else at this point. Although their one year in L.A. in 1960 was quite productive and almost netted them an AFL title, it has been pretty much long forgotten given what followed.

Neither do I want to rip the Bills or the Vikings away from the only homes they've ever known. Why can't it just be the damn Jaguars, which (probably) most people want? Anybody know the latest on their situation?

I have my money on the Chargers exercising their out-clause in time to head to Los Angeles for either the 2012 or 2013 NFL season.

Even being a Chargers fan from L.A., I would hate to see them leave America's Finest City. They've been there for so long it's hard to imagine them anywhere else at this point. Although their one year in L.A. in 1960 was quite productive and almost netted them an AFL title, it has been pretty much long forgotten given what followed.

Neither do I want to rip the Bills or the Vikings away from the only homes they've ever known. Why can't it just be the damn Jaguars, which (probably) most people want? Anybody know the latest on their situation?

If you want to know more about a team's "situation", start a new tab and then search for that news. Some of those answers can even be found here on this site.

If you want to know more about a team's "situation", start a new tab and then search for that news. Some of those answers can even be found here on this site.

Hey man, just asking a simple question. No reason to be rude.

That being said, I took a quick look, and it seems like I've now read all there is to read, which is not much. I know the ownership group is trying to "resuscitate" local interest in the team with those promotional efforts, but I wonder whether any of it will really work long-term, and why the ownership group is trying this hard to make it work, when the team has been in trouble for years (that's my understanding, anyway).

Archived