Bohob's NCAA Football Concepts

bohob

Here's a recap of the teams already completed (link in my sig)

1. Nebraska Cornhuskers

2. Wisconsin Badgers

3. Iowa Hawkeyes

4. Michigan Wolverines

5. North Carolina Tar Heels

and now?

6. Miami Hurricanes

For the Canes, I drew some inspiration from the two Pro Combat uniforms. The all-white uniforms gave me insight in how to work with the split of the U logo. The 2010 Pro Combat unis helped me see what a green helmet would look like for The U. The U logo and the Miami wordmark are from the current set. Working within the current style, I updated Sebastian the Ibis (complete with alternate jersey look) to be consistent with the uniforms I designed and created a hybrid Sebastian-U logo. All Sebastian logos use a second, darker forest green for added contrast. The numbers are custom and based on the wordmark.

The uniforms play with the idea of the split in the U logo. with the U shape replicated around the backs of the jerseys and pants. The numbers on the home and alternate uniforms are all-white for legibility. The collar, however, maintains the split. The white helmet no longer has a stripe, as the traditional stripe doesn't work with the modern style of the uniforms, and it also features a green facemask. The green helmet has a metallic sheen like the Pro Combat edition. At this point, if you've kept with this, thanks for reading the write up.

canes_id.jpg

canes_fb_home.jpg

canes_fb_away.jpg

canes_fb_alt.jpg

C&C please.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like how this turned out, the sebastian "U" is fantastic, and this is the first split-U design I've seen that actually works and isn't too over the top. My only suggestion is that you might not need "Miami" on the back. I think it'd do just fine on the front chest, but that aside, this is great work!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

UPDATE

I accidentally left the talons off of Sebastian's foot, so those are back on. I also tweaked the Sebastian-U logo and made the facemask on the green helmet the darker shade of green for a little extra contrast. C&C please.

canes_id2.jpg

canes_fb_home2.jpg

canes_fb_away2.jpg

canes_fb_alt2.jpg

If you're going to include white and green helmets, you might as well go the distance and add orange helmets.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

OK, here are the Terrapins. I kept the M logo the same. I added a Maryland wordmark that matches the M logo and made some small edits on Testudo. The numbers are in the proprietary typeface now, as the block numbers were too default. The uniforms use segmented piping around the shoulder yoke and down the pants. The collars feature the pattern from the other half of the Maryland flag, for a more balanced take on the theme. There are three helmets white, black, and metallic red. C&C please.

terps_id.jpg

terps_fb_home.jpg

terps_fb_away.jpg

terps_fb_alt.jpg

Far as Miami goes, for what it is...well, it is what it is. Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the whole "split down the middle" thing, but I can see how you came up with that idea. It's not bad by any means; just not my cup of tea. The other thing is I think it'd be MUCH improved by using a darker green, closer to what the "U" actually uses.

Now Maryland...a return to the LaMont Jordan years, I see. I like! For the longest time, I've been wishing that Maryland would go back to using that M w/ flag on their helmets...that script "Terps" really looks bush league to me (and plus, Boomer Esiason ain't there no more, so what does it really matter? ^_^ ) With a flag as cool as Maryland's, and symbolism abounding in such abundant fashion, it'd be easy to get carried away wit extraneous details...glad to see you didn't go that far. The little details you did include pop quite nicely.

One other small note, and this is just something to consider going down the road: it might not hurt to shrink the size of these displays in the future...especially if you're looking to upload any of your concepts to an online portfolio. I'd say anything south of 800px wide should suit you just fine...and you still won't lose any of the finer details. That's something I had to come around on myself...figured I'd pass tha suggestion along to you.

Keep up the great work there, bohob.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 1 month later...

8. Arizona Wildcats

With the Wildcats, I started on the logo set. I didn't edit the A logo, but the sharpened the wildcat head and redesigned the desert logo to better coincide with the primary logo. The uniforms apply the team's asymmetrical stripes as shoulder stripes and on the helmets and pants.

a_cats_id.jpg

a_cats_fb_home.jpg

a_cats_fb_away.jpg

a_cats_fb_alt.jpg

9. Arizona State Sun Devils

For Arizona State, I kept Sparky, but redesigned all of the typography, working in a pitchfork in certain marks and a sun in others. The uniforms are fairly straightforward, focusing on a single stripe theme. The fauxback alternate is inspired by one of ASU's old helmets and the Packers throwbacks.

sundevils_id.jpg

sundevils_fb_home.jpg

sundevils_fb_away.jpg

sundevils_fb_alt.jpg

Archived