NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

The games sucks,

I found it immensely entertaining ^_^

but the gear doesn't. I'm really diggin' tonight's uniform match-up. One of this season's best.

c0d128903a636826006500900e4d0fea-getty-98697177rr022_san_francisco.jpg

It would have been if the Chargers fixed their bolts, lost the wordmark under the collar, and used a real number font.

I suppose the Chargers' font could be better, but Agency doesn't hack me off nearly as much as it does others. The only thing that could've made this match-up even better is if it were a day game.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, it's probably better that is was a night game, else that powder blue would have probably looked really washed out--even more than it already does.

That said, Power-Ranger-esque though they do look, the Spanii really need to just eat it and make that the Chargers' primary, bring in a set of blue pants for the road uniform. (And probably revert to the original Pacific Blue they had back in the '60s.) Oh yeah--and reverse those sleeve bolts.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

c0d128903a636826006500900e4d0fea-getty-98697177rr022_san_francisco.jpg

Perfect mix of modernism and traditionalism IMO. Call it neo-tradtionalism.

Actually, it's probably better that is was a night game, else that powder blue would have probably looked really washed out--even more than it already does.

That said, Power-Ranger-esque though they do look, the Spanii really need to just eat it and make that the Chargers' primary, bring in a set of blue pants for the road uniform. (And probably revert to the original Pacific Blue they had back in the '60s.) Oh yeah--and reverse those sleeve bolts.

2 things:

1. Power Rangers are awesome. B)
  2. By reverse, you mean orientation of the bolt or inversion of the color?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

By reverse, you mean orientation of the bolt or inversion of the color?

He means the orientation of the bolts. The Chargers really lost their minds when designing the bolts for the current uniform set. The helmet bolt is fine. The jersey bolts, however, are backwards. The pants bolts? Well they look like they've been through the wash one to many times.

That's what's infuriating to me about the current Chargers set. It could look nice with a few small tweaks. As it is, it's just a mess.

-They need to go back to the previous number font. The current font is custom for custom's sake. It's not a font that fits seamlessly in with the rest of the package. It's just a jagged Agency knock-off that exists just so the team can have a custom font.

-They need to remove the wordmark from under the collar. On some teams it's a nice addition. On the Chargers it's just unnecessary. We know who you are, your uniform is covered with lightning bolts. We don't need a wordmark.

-They need to reverse (correct) the orientation of the jersey bolts. They also need to straighten out the pants bolts.

Those three tweaks would make the current bolts set work. I'm not sure if it would be better then the last set, but it would be a nice, modern take on the Chargers' theme. As it is now, though? It's a mix-and-match of a lot of ideas, some good some bad, that just don't work well together.

I will give the current Chargers set this though, it's easily the least offensive of the current round of "modern" uniforms (Atlanta, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Minnesota, Arizona).

None of those things bother me about the Chargers uniforms. What bothers me is how the bolts are used on the different parts of the uniform. On the navy homes you have a bolt on a white background on the helmet, then a bolt on a white panel on the jersey and then you have white pants with a big blue block of stripe that holds the bolt. The reverse is true of the road uniforms with the jersey panel being a bolt on blue while the helmets and pants show it on white. It's these inconsistencies within the same uniform that irk me.

The way you fix it is if you have a white background then you slap the bolt on there without a color panel behind it like the helmet. If you have a color background then by all means go with a white panel to house the bolt.

PvO6ZWJ.png

None of those things bother me about the Chargers uniforms. What bothers me is how the bolts are used on the different parts of the uniform. On the navy homes you have a bolt on a white background on the helmet, then a bolt on a white panel on the jersey and then you have white pants with a big blue block of stripe that holds the bolt. The reverse is true of the road uniforms with the jersey panel being a bolt on blue while the helmets and pants show it on white. It's these inconsistencies within the same uniform that irk me.

The way you fix it is if you have a white background then you slap the bolt on there without a color panel behind it like the helmet. If you have a color background then by all means go with a white panel to house the bolt.

I don't mind that, actually. Using the bolts on different background colours, even on the same uniform, has precedent.

I don't mind that, actually. Using the bolts on different background colours, even on the same uniform, has precedent.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it was right back then.

Plus, the last generation of Chargers uniforms always kept it consistent and those were some pretty good uniforms.

LaDainian-Tomlinson.png

drew-brees-antonio-gates.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

Funny this convo is taking place, I was cleaning out my closet and found my LT powder blue jersey from before these current uniforms came about (it has block numbers and no navy? I think it was just a throwback uni?)

Anyway, I like this one a lot better. Their current set is really messy. On a side note, I bought this jersey in 6th grade, so in 2005. The Chargers wore powder blues as throwbacks right? Not an alternate uni? I just remember seeing them on TV and having to have one.

Funny this convo is taking place, I was cleaning out my closet and found my LT powder blue jersey from before these current uniforms came about (it has block numbers and no navy? I think it was just a throwback uni?)

Anyway, I like this one a lot better. Their current set is really messy. On a side note, I bought this jersey in 6th grade, so in 2005. The Chargers wore powder blues as throwbacks right? Not an alternate uni? I just remember seeing them on TV and having to have one.

Yeah, those were throwbacks.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it was right back then.

Plus, the last generation of Chargers uniforms always kept it consistent and those were some pretty good uniforms.

LaDainian-Tomlinson.png

drew-brees-antonio-gates.jpg

Those did work. The last set was very well done, and all in all the current set (even if it were fixed) would still be inferior.

That being said, the consistent background vs contrasting background thing, I fell, depends on the uniforms. Or to be more specific, the colour scheme. The consistent background theme worked very well with the dark navy and yellow. I don't think it would look very good with the current navy, powder blue, and yellow scheme.

Do the bolts ever need a contrasting panel background? The bolts are now yellow, which stands out against white, navy, or powder blue. In my opinion, the contrast panels on the jersey and the pants just make the bolt look clunky.

I think the bolts would look much better without an outline, as in the Brees-era navy home jerseys and navy pants and the Alworth-era white pants:

nfl_i_lalworth_200.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I know this picture is from last week, but if the Cardinals would just go back to white shoes, their uniform would look so much better.

l4903227.jpg

Also, there's this:

Saints Official facebook page:

For those asking, Saints are wearing white jerseys & black pants. Ravens will be in all black. A little more than an hour till kickoff!

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived