NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like quite a few folks have decided to get in on my act... :P

Since the Vikings are wearing the throwbacks tomorrow I'm holding off on my weekly best/worst list until tomorrow night. (Not that anyone gives a :censored: )

I want to say that I at least watched the game before I give the Bears and Vikings the top slot this week. :D

BB52Big.jpg

anyway, i noticed today that the Colts were wearing mismatching sets. meaning, Peyton and Reggie wore the same old 18/87... while Austin Collie and Donald Brown were wearing some kind of Giants hybrids.

3ac3c6903ad1dfa7c87a595aa975397f-getty-98697178sb017_jaguars_colt.jpg

ap-8414133201f94311b7ae04f1cdd5b82b.jpg

b6aab8b7826c62c4363f9200a43b43c2-getty-98697178sb005_jaguars_colt.jpg

ap-a82c7ef5aef244cba5b740c28edfe9df.jpg

it might not be anything new... but it caught my eye, and bothered me more than it should.

you're way late to the TechFit party. various Colts players have been wearing these for at least 1 year. maybe since 08? same with the Packers. Wayne and Garcon have gone back and forth, both are currently wearing the standard jersey. Colts who are currently wearing TechFit are: Joe Addai, Donald Brown, Austin Collie, Phillip Wheeler, Jacob Lacey, Kelvin Hayden, Antoine Bethea, Justin Tryon, and maybe another guy or 2.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

anyway, i noticed today that the Colts were wearing mismatching sets. meaning, Peyton and Reggie wore the same old 18/87... while Austin Collie and Donald Brown were wearing some kind of Giants hybrids.

it might not be anything new... but it caught my eye, and bothered me more than it should.

you're way late to the TechFit party. various Colts players have been wearing these for at least 1 year. maybe since 08? same with the Packers. Wayne and Garcon have gone back and forth, both are currently wearing the standard jersey. Colts who are currently wearing TechFit are: Joe Addai, Donald Brown, Austin Collie, Phillip Wheeler, Jacob Lacey, Kelvin Hayden, Antoine Bethea, Justin Tryon, and maybe another guy or 2.

Saved me from pointing out the tardiness to the discussion but that post did have perhaps the best illustration yet of just how awful these unis are in terms of what they're supposed to look like. Even the pants stripes are fouled up. It's also astounding that the league itself, not to mention the teams, would let something like that get on the field. Tells you all you need to know about how they view their brand's visual integrity. :rolleyes:

Especially sad when compared to the original look. Obviously some details have changed, like the wider pants stripes, but overall, Johnny U's uni is a lot closer to the Colts' intended look than Donald Brown's, which would look right at home on TJ Maxx's clearance rack.

2466186.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Saved me from pointing out the tardiness to the discussion but that post did have perhaps the best illustration yet of just how awful these unis are in terms of what they're supposed to look like. Even the pants stripes are fouled up. It's also astounding that the league itself, not to mention the teams, would let something like that get on the field. Tells you all you need to know about how they view their brand's visual integrity. :rolleyes:

Especially sad when compared to the original look. Obviously some details have changed, like the wider pants stripes, but overall, Johnny U's uni is a lot closer to the Colts' intended look than Donald Brown's, which would look right at home on TJ Maxx's clearance rack.

2466186.jpg

You know, this might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think the fine denizens of Indiana would mind it enough to revolt--either way, here goes:

Maybe, juuuuuust maybe...it might be time for the Colts to look at...omigod...updating their brand??

And if they do, how 'bout they just go with Indiana Colts? "Indianapolis Colts" is a mouthful, and really doesn't even sound right. "Indiana Colts" is shorter, encompasses the whole state (not that the 'Napolis itself doesn't, since it's everybody's meeting place)...and it fits in with the Indiana Pacers, about three or four blocks east.

Just an opinion...one man's two rusted Lincolns.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2466186.jpg

You know, this might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think the fine denizens of Indiana would mind it enough to revolt--either way, here goes:

Maybe, juuuuuust maybe...it might be time for the Colts to look at...omigod...updating their brand??

And if they do, how 'bout they just go with Indiana Colts? "Indianapolis Colts" is a mouthful, and really doesn't even sound right. "Indiana Colts" is shorter, encompasses the whole state (not that the 'Napolis itself doesn't, since it's everybody's meeting place)...and it fits in with the Indiana Pacers, about three or four blocks east.

Just an opinion...one man's two rusted Lincolns.

Not nearly as right as "Baltimore Colts," that's for sure. ^_^

Wasn't it like 1984 when they moved? Hard to believe there are twenty-somethings who may not even know the Colts were ever in Baltimore.

MayflowerColtslLeave1984.jpg

While I agree about the name, are you also suggesting an updated look? Heresy, sir!

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I just cannot believe the Chiefs today. They had the perfect opportunity to participate in probably the best looking game of the week if they would have only worn their red pants.

The Chiefs uniforms suck no matter what they wear. The white-on-whites are as weak as the Jets white-on-white threads. Its like they are in a competition for who is dullest.

The Chiefs are long-overdue for an update. Not radical, but a sharpening up of the entire look. They should (since black is on the helmet), add black as a trim color to their set.

Others in crying need for an off-season update:

1. Carolina. Uniforms are as drab as their team and their home-field atmosphere. With a new coach coming, it would be nice to scrap the current threads and start over. The light blue socks are the softest look in football. They should only be worn with the alternate blue jersey's. And the uniforms in-of-themselves are cheap looking. They have a good color scheme (black, carolina blue and silver). Just need to use them better. First suggestion would be to go to shiny silver pants, to match the shiny silver helmet. The grey pants they use are dull.

2. Tennessee. Some consistancy would be nice. A new logo is needed. A columbia blue helmet needs to be used. Maybe the new coach next year will at least put an end to the columbia blue/navy blue home primary home set. That got tired a long time ago. And it especially looks bad with the white helmet.

3. Washington. They at least got something started with the yellow pants addition. Now, they need to keep going. Darken up the burgundy. Throw the non-matching striped RED socks (worn with the yellow pants) in a bonfire. Put the same pant striping on all three sets of pants.

4. Cincinnati. Time to update the mistakes of their last update. The white side stripe needs to go on the black and orange jersey. Pant stripe needs to change. Other then that, stay with what you have.

5. Buffalo. Blow it all up and start over from scratch. A modernized "throwemback" is needed. Royal blue jersey. White and royal blue pants. Royal blue helmet. De-emphasis or complete elimination of navy blue and red from the scheme.

6. San Diego. FIX THE NAVY BLUE PANTS! That wide-ass stripe is hideous. Everything else works. The navy blue pants ruin the entire uniform.

7. Dallas. Blow it up and start over from scratch. Go with navy blue, silver and white. Find a consistant design and consistant color scheme. Helmet stays the same.

Other off-season additions to current uniform sets:

-Browns scrap the solid brown pants (which they aren't wearing anymore anyway) and add orange pants to be worn primarily with the white jersey's.

-Broncos go back to orange jersey's as their primary home jersey. White pants (with orange stripe) are elminated. Orange pants (with navy blue stripe) added to be worn with white jersey's.

-Falcons scrap the black pants (which they haven't worn in years anyway) and add red pants (with the same piping design) to be worn with the white jersey's.

I just cannot believe the Chiefs today. They had the perfect opportunity to participate in probably the best looking game of the week if they would have only worn their red pants.

The Chiefs uniforms suck no matter what they wear. The white-on-whites are as weak as the Jets white-on-white threads. Its like they are in a competition for who is dullest.

The Chiefs are long-overdue for an update. Not radical, but a sharpening up of the entire look. They should (since black is on the helmet), add black as a trim color to their set.

1. Carolina. Uniforms are as drab as their team and their home-field atmosphere. With a new coach coming, it would be nice to scrap the current threads and start over. The light blue socks are the softest look in football. They should only be worn with the alternate blue jersey's. And the uniforms in-of-themselves are cheap looking. They have a good color scheme (black, carolina blue and silver). Just need to use them better. First suggestion would be to go to shiny silver pants, to match the shiny silver helmet. The grey pants they use are dull.

2. Tennessee. Some consistancy would be nice. A new logo is needed. A columbia blue helmet needs to be used. Maybe the new coach next year will at least put an end to the columbia blue/navy blue home primary home set. That got tired a long time ago. And it especially looks bad with the white helmet.

3. Washington. They at least got something started with the yellow pants addition. Now, they need to keep going. Darken up the burgundy. Throw the non-matching striped RED socks (worn with the yellow pants) in a bonfire. Put the same pant striping on all three sets of pants.

4. Cincinnati. Time to update the mistakes of their last update. The white side stripe needs to go on the black and orange jersey. Pant stripe needs to change. Other then that, stay with what you have.

5. Buffalo. Blow it all up and start over from scratch. A modernized "throwemback" is needed. Royal blue jersey. White and royal blue pants. Royal blue helmet. De-emphasis or complete elimination of navy blue and red from the scheme.

6. San Diego. FIX THE NAVY BLUE PANTS! That wide-ass stripe is hideous. Everything else works. The navy blue pants ruin the entire uniform.

7. Dallas. Blow it up and start over from scratch. Go with navy blue, silver and white. Find a consistant design and consistant color scheme. Helmet stays the same.

-Browns scrap the solid brown pants (which they aren't wearing anymore anyway) and add orange pants to be worn primarily with the white jersey's.

-Broncos go back to orange jersey's as their primary home jersey. White pants (with orange stripe) are elminated. Orange pants (with navy blue stripe) added to be worn with white jersey's.

-Falcons scrap the black pants (which they haven't worn in years anyway) and add red pants (with the same piping design) to be worn with the white jersey's.

God help me, I actually agree with some of this.

BUT, the update the chiefs need is to drop the black from the helmet, not add it to the rest of the uniform. Enough of that.

I watched about 30 seconds of the Cards game. There was a CB wearing what appeared to be reversed socks. He seemed to have the red pulled down and white showing at the top. It actually looked very nice breaking up the leotard look. This is a big problem for me. Those red pants wouldn't look so bad even if they paired them with the black socks. People like the Texans drive me crazy. They had a nice look then messed it up. Their "battle red" wouldn't have even looked so bad with the blue socks. It would break up the monotony and match the helmet. Last week there was a Bengals flashback of the last time they played the Steelers. The flashback had black pants/orange socks and looked 100x better.

KISSwall09.jpg

I too have some ideas about what some NFL teams ought to do:

Rams: Go back to this set:

T_20.jpg

nfl_g_warner99_300.jpg

...with this as an alternate:

rams-sfbettis.jpg

Chiefs: Normally, I'm against BFBS, but I think this would look sharp:

larry-johnson-kansas-city-chiefs-black-nfl-replica-jersey-3161378.jpg

Chargers: Make the powder blues the regular homes.

Patriots: Bring back this set:

nfl-patriots-super_bowl_xxxi_martin-curtis-28-white-1997-stockpic1-203x300.jpg

image.jpg

...with these pants:

drew.jpg

God I hated those Patriots jerseys... why would anyone wear a shirt with Flying Elvis looking at your crotch? Plus, the soccer-style striped fabric texture on the jersey has no relevance to the uniform or logo... And then to pair it with those busy-stripe pants... what a hodge-podge of an eyesore that would be.

God help me, I actually agree with some of this.

BUT, the update the chiefs need is to drop the black from the helmet, not add it to the rest of the uniform. Enough of that.

Same here. Rex Grossman has a good day yesterday and I agree with DennisBergan. The end is nigh!

BB52Big.jpg

Archived