2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

PSU's uniforms put me to sleep

Of course they do, since there's no blinding highlighter yellow to force you awake every time you look at it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5589247254_53f53e3825_b.jpg

Number font is stupid. Needlessly "unique" just to look different.

that dosnt make any sense to me. theres nothing needless or unnecessary about being unique. the number font is a part of the brand identity and should reflect their logo and other graphic elements or have a rhythm with them. that said, i dont feel TCU has executed this concept very well. they're very close but the cuts are really odd

Well, I guess I could've worded it a little better. I put quotes around "unique" because I really just don't find it all that impressive. Nike put little notches in the number font for MSU, too.

I don't like it when a number font appears to be forced into a design simply for the sake of being different. How does this particular font design fit the overall brand indentity? Sure its different (relatively), but does it serve the design, or is it just different to be different?

in this case i do agree. if they would have cut TCU between the serifs and stems (not what i would recommend) in a similar way at least there would be rhythm and continuity to the uniform. there would be a good reason for their design choice, and at least we could say they did a bad/okay job in the correct way, and you would also say "yeah, thats looks like TCU"

Why do those collars look giant?

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Probably because they are pretty big. I think that's the collar used in the bowl Pro Combat uniforms.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

5589247254_53f53e3825_b.jpg

Number font is stupid. Needlessly "unique" just to look different.

that dosnt make any sense to me. theres nothing needless or unnecessary about being unique. the number font is a part of the brand identity and should reflect their logo and other graphic elements or have a rhythm with them. that said, i dont feel TCU has executed this concept very well. they're very close but the cuts are really odd

Well, I guess I could've worded it a little better. I put quotes around "unique" because I really just don't find it all that impressive. Nike put little notches in the number font for MSU, too.

I don't like it when a number font appears to be forced into a design simply for the sake of being different. How does this particular font design fit the overall brand indentity? Sure its different (relatively), but does it serve the design, or is it just different to be different?

in this case i do agree. if they would have cut TCU between the serifs and stems (not what i would recommend) in a similar way at least there would be rhythm and continuity to the uniform. there would be a good reason for their design choice, and at least we could say they did a bad/okay job in the correct way, and you would also say "yeah, thats looks like TCU"

Why do those collars look giant?

They are big, but that picture makes them look bigger than they are and they blend into the shoulderpads.

Of course they do, since there's no blinding highlighter yellow to force you awake every time you look at it.

That and they look like hand-me-down practice jerseys for a high school team

Fine, but nobody is lauding Penn State for the design of their uniforms, while some think Oregon's unis are the epitomy of design. They have a very plain, traditional look, and that is fine for them. They haven't added random colors or worn uniforms without their actual school colors in them. While I don't "like" PSU's unis, it would be wrong if they ever wore anything else. I liked their unis more with the opposite color trim, but apparently this is back to tradition. Nobody is asking you to like the design of the uniforms, but they do have a strong identity. However, there are some here who, even if PSU their stuck with the same plain design, would applaud if they wore a graphite jersey with black pants and a antifreeze colored helmet, saying it is progress and other such nonsense. Penn State having a bland identity doesn't excuse Oregon from looking like hot garbage.

And no, Oregon doesn't have a strong identity. An identity based on "Hey, look at us! You don't know what color or design of uniform we will wear, but you know it will be ca-ray-zy!" isn't an identity. First off, they change the colors for any given game, and not just between yellow, green and black, but also gray, graphite, anthracite, and whatever they called the highlighter color. You can't just say "look for the team with the crazy jerseys" because then any team could wear ridiculous color combos and people would think it was Oregon. An identity based on having no identity doesn't hold water.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Fine, but nobody is lauding Penn State for the design of their uniforms, while some think Oregon's unis are the epitomy of design. They have a very plain, traditional look, and that is fine for them. They haven't added random colors or worn uniforms without their actual school colors in them. While I don't "like" PSU's unis, it would be wrong if they ever wore anything else. I liked their unis more with the opposite color trim, but apparently this is back to tradition. Nobody is asking you to like the design of the uniforms, but they do have a strong identity. However, there are some here who, even if PSU their stuck with the same plain design, would applaud if they wore a graphite jersey with black pants and a antifreeze colored helmet, saying it is progress and other such nonsense. Penn State having a bland identity doesn't excuse Oregon from looking like hot garbage.

And no, Oregon doesn't have a strong identity. An identity based on "Hey, look at us! You don't know what color or design of uniform we will wear, but you know it will be ca-ray-zy!" isn't an identity. First off, they change the colors for any given game, and not just between yellow, green and black, but also gray, graphite, anthracite, and whatever they called the highlighter color. You can't just say "look for the team with the crazy jerseys" because then any team could wear ridiculous color combos and people would think it was Oregon. An identity based on having no identity doesn't hold water.

I wasn't even saying anything about Penn State's identity lol.

Btw, Oregon's identity is the O and more recently the wings. Those are consistent throughout the million different "random" colored uniforms.

I'm pretty sure no matter what combo Oregon wears, no CCSLC member will have problems identifying them, nor would any college football fan with any knowledge of the teams. The people who can't identify Oregon are the same people who would watch Penn State play and think they were a high school team.

People say this a lot (not necessarily about PSU jerseys, just basic uniforms in general) and I've always seen it as a poor argument. Penn State always looks awesome on the field and they will continue to with these uniforms. Yes they're plain but their pants and jerseys are clearly made of the bright, high-quality performance fabrics and their helmets are always shiny and buffed. Certainly like nothing I've seen a high school practice squad wearing...

People say this a lot (not necessarily about PSU jerseys, just basic uniforms in general) and I've always seen it as a poor argument. Penn State always looks awesome on the field and they will continue to with these uniforms. Yes they're plain but their pants and jerseys are clearly made of the bright, high-quality performance fabrics and their helmets are always shiny and buffed. Certainly like nothing I've seen a high school practice squad wearing...

From a distance the average person wouldn't be able to see it.

Btw, Oregon's identity is the O and more recently the wings. Those are consistent throughout the million different "random" colored uniforms.

I'm pretty sure no matter what combo Oregon wears, no CCSLC member will have problems identifying them, nor would any college football fan with any knowledge of the teams. The people who can't identify Oregon are the same people who would watch Penn State play and think they were a high school team.

That's why they have the scoreboard bug, to tell you who's playing who! Actually, with teams going to various uniforms, reminds me of a piece I saw or heard this week about NASCAR. With drivers having multiple sponsors it's becoming harder and harder to identify a driver and who is sponsor is. No longer can you tune in and watch Dale Earnhardt and the iconic black number 3, Richard Petty and the iconic Petty (Carolina) Blue and Red of STP, etc. To me that's what's happening in college football. Too much change on a consistant basis actually backfires. I'm not saying that Oregon is bad (that's your opinion), what I'm saying is that there is a limit to how far you can push the envelope before you lose whatever brand identity you have. Oregon, sticks with it's random designs for a couple years. TCUispushing the envelope of losing their identity. They seem to be mishmashed. Virginia Tech is also like that.

From a distance the average person wouldn't be able to see it.

A good number of uniform design elements (piping, sublimated designs, etc.) aren't visible from a distance. My point is that PSU's players are consistently outfitted in well tailored and well maintained uniforms and that by itself makes them look great.

stock-photo--edison-high-school-eagles-springfield-va-football-practice-4649119.jpg

does not equal

large_2009-09-05-ap-penn-state-akron-football.JPG

:blink:

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

That's why they have the scoreboard bug, to tell you who's playing who! Actually, with teams going to various uniforms, reminds me of a piece I saw or heard this week about NASCAR. With drivers having multiple sponsors it's becoming harder and harder to identify a driver and who is sponsor is. No longer can you tune in and watch Dale Earnhardt and the iconic black number 3, Richard Petty and the iconic Petty (Carolina) Blue and Red of STP, etc. To me that's what's happening in college football. Too much change on a consistant basis actually backfires. I'm not saying that Oregon is bad (that's your opinion), what I'm saying is that there is a limit to how far you can push the envelope before you lose whatever brand identity you have. Oregon, sticks with it's random designs for a couple years. TCU is pushing the envelope of losing their identity. They seem to be mishmashed. Virginia Tech is also like that.

I cannot say that it is mismatched yet. Basketball and possibly baseball will indicate that later this season. It could be just more than an evolution. Hopefully, that does not mean the return to the "Flying TCU" as an athletic mark. That campus, in terms of construction and enrollment is entirely different from what it was when Franchione and the black unis appeared.

Now, the downside with the uniform(s) is that they have been on record in saying that the rebuilt Amon Carter is going to be, "the Camden Yards of collegiate football", yet they might be wearing those.

Archived