2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

The wings and number font will be gone as soon as Nike thinks up something new anyway. Then all you're left with is a rip-off Oakley logo and G-d knows how many uniform combinations, most of which don't feature the school colours of green and gold.

Here's the thing about Oregon's current "look." When they don't wear the green and gold (which seems to happen more and more often each season) they don't look like the Oregon Ducks. They look like Team Nike. Which is a problem for me, as a fan of sports uniform and logo design. It represents a dangerous trend of manufacturers making uniforms that promote themselves rather then the teams. This is a problem. Kudos to TCU for telling Nike to stick it when they wanted the Horn Frogs to play in the Rose Bowl without a hint of purple.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But it does represent Oregon - they're a modernized program without a crapload of tradition, so why should their uniforms be green-and-yellow versions of Penn State's?

I never said they should be. I'd gladly take the current Oregon set if they kept it to combos that featured the green and gold colour scheme.

Oregon was good until they started unveiling 80,000 combos with colors that weren't related to the school. The only problem with the diamond-plate was the design (why diamond plate?)...not the colors. The only problem with the set before that was the ultra-highlighter all-yellow set. And the Joey Harrington set was badass.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The "modernists" on this board make me want to punch every single one of them because of their amazingly arrogant, close-minded stance on uniform designs and aesthetics...

Ok, well, maybe just Lights Out...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I think I posted this before, but it appears that UL-Lafayette is looking to possibly change its helmets. Here are two possibilities (I like the white shell best):

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

Here's the current helmet for reference:

33-49470-J.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

That white FDL helmet is gorgeous.

Oregon was good until they started unveiling 80,000 combos with colors that weren't related to the school. The only problem with the diamond-plate was the design (why diamond plate?)...not the colors. The only problem with the set before that was the ultra-highlighter all-yellow set. And the Joey Harrington set was badass.

In. Deed.

What was wrong with this look?

606995_display_image.jpg

allan-Amundson.jpg

Not complicated enough?

That white FDL helmet is gorgeous.

In. Deed.

What was wrong with this look?

606995_display_image.jpg

allan-Amundson.jpg

Not complicated enough?

The only problem I had with that look was the 2-tone greens and the panels on the sides of the jersey. Other than that, it's a good look.

gYH2mW9.png

I fail to see how it's random though. I get that we're adding "non" school colors "unofficially", but there is a school color literally in every uniform, save for the national championship jersey (which come on, that neon color looked close enough to yellow in certain lights in my opinion).

Once again, the crazy font, the O, the wings, all features on our "random" uniforms.

There is some rhyme and reason to each uniform. Just because it isn't block font, 2 colored, no stripes doesn't mean it's random.

let me rephase then...endless variety is not a brand.

you also forget the usc game where they went all white and sliver and the civil war when they went white and gray...I don't count the green outline on the sliver numbers as displaying a school color

I think I posted this before, but it appears that UL-Lafayette is looking to possibly change its helmets. Here are two possibilities (I like the white shell best):

image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

33-49470-J.jpg

that's gonna be tough decision. Both are pretty dang sharp. Only thing that may hurt the white helmet's chances are that ULM wears white, well for now at least. Love the contrast of the white with black mask, black bumpers and black ear pads.

FSU2.gif

that's gonna be tough decision. Both are pretty dang sharp. Only thing that may hurt the white helmet's chances are that ULM wears white, well for now at least. Love the contrast of the white with black mask, black bumpers and black ear pads.

Definitely a good point about ULM. I hadn't actually thought about that. But I wouldn't mind seeing the fleur de lis on a black or red helmet with a white outline on the logo.

gYH2mW9.png

I've been wanting ULL to go to the FDL for quite a while now. Always hated the Ragin Cajuns script logo. Hope they don't go with black though. Best case scenario would be a red helmet with the FDL.

Funny, I actually created a UL-Lafayette team awhile back on Team Builder and used a white and black shell but both had the FDL.

sig.jpg

For those people opposed to Oregons unis, you just don't get it. Those combos, the black, white and carbon, have become part of Oregons look. Who else has carbon? That's a duck staple now. Yes others have black and white but when u see Oregon in those, you know that's them right away. Their style is the combos; it's become the duck way, and many have come to love it, me included.

And don't even try to say they don't help bring in recruits, cuz it does

Can of worms.

Well, I know at least one very well-connected Oregon fan who described Nike's marketing department as "[knowing] nothing about Oregon's colors." I'm not going to identify said well-connected fan because I'm not sure he wants to be on record making those comments.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

For those people opposed to Oregons unis, you just don't get it. Those combos, the black, white and carbon, have become part of Oregons look. Who else has carbon? That's a duck staple now. Yes others have black and white but when u see Oregon in those, you know that's them right away. Their style is the combos; it's become the duck way, and many have come to love it, me included.

It's sad when a team has to rely on mutiple colors not part of the official school scheme (green and yellow) as part of its "staple".

Oregon is green and yellow. Maybe some black. Maybe.

Everything else is just egregious "because we can" on behalf of Nike.

The fact that the school accepts and flaunts it is a slap in the face of the tradition of the school.

"We're Oregon. Whatever colors you want to dress us in, go ahead, we're the school that lets you!"

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Carbon/Anthracite/etc. isn't an Oregon color, it's a Nike color thrown on the Ducks as an advertisement. And it's hardly a staple of Oregon when they've used it for what, one season? Oregon's uniforms and uniform combos are silly and there's no denying that. If you like it, then fine, but don't try to convince me that it's anything but ridiculous.

Not to mention the fact that Oregon would lose a lot of donations if they stopped letting Nike use and abuse them as their guinea pigs. It's Stockholm Syndrome.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What other major D1 team uses Oregon's green and yellow? Why not feature those colors more?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived