2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NCAA could solve this problem entirely by banning uniforms that aren't majority-school colors. No more BFBS or Oregon crap.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The NCAA could solve this problem entirely by banning uniforms that aren't majority-school colors. No more BFBS or Oregon crap.

Colorado would have to switch to silver and gold uniforms

I fail to see the problem with that.

Then again, it probably wouldn't stick, since Nike would probably force Oregon to change their school colors. I suspect that's already in the works already.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I fail to see the problem with that.

Then again, it probably wouldn't stick, since Nike would probably force Oregon to change their school colors. I suspect that's already in the works already.

Which brings back an old question I posed.

How long does a team have to wear a color before it's considered a team color?

Colorado has obviously been wearing black for quite a while, it's synonymous with Colorado, yet their school colors don't have black. How come everyone isn't on their tail about that? Is it because they have been doing it since before almost everyone here was born? Do they get that pass that old teams/logos get?

I ask this because I am pretty damn sure that at least black in the non-school team colors of Oregon will stick for quite a while. Does that mean no matter how long we use it it doesn't become a team color?

For all the people who claim that these "modern" uniforms are better and get recruits, and that people who don't like the "modern" uniforms don't get it. Oh we get it. We get it more than you do. The fact of the matter is that the only team that had a "modern" uniform and won a National Championship was Miami in 2001. So, if recruits want to go to these schools with "modern" uniforms, let them. If they want to win a championship then you MUST be wearing a traditional uniform. Look it up for yourself. If I'm a recruit, I'm going to a team with a traditional look because they have won all but one National Championship and winning a championship is what matters, not looking "cool".

It's not a team color unless the university says it is. Length of time doesn't mean :censored:.

I actually meant to tell you to grow up after your first sentence, and I edited my post, but it was too late.

It's just as out of place there too, so it's a wash really.

It's not a team color unless the university says it is. Length of time doesn't mean :censored: .

Colorado's academic website seems to have embraced the black. So it seems like the school's adopted it as an official colour.

http://www.colorado.edu/

I'm not seeing any graphite or highlighter yellow on Oregon's site though....

http://www.uoregon.edu/

It's strangely lacking from their athletic website as well, which you would think would feature it prominently.

http://www.goducks.com/

Though we really are venturing into the realm of the insane here. Why should a school's team wear the school colours? Maybe because those are the school and, by association, the team colours? If you're arguing that teams shouldn't be confined to their own colours then lets roll out lime green and bright orange Chargers uniforms. Or black and silver Yankees uniforms.

I still don't understand why you guys get so fired up about Black, your team gets black jerseys for a game it makes the players feel special, makes the student section have a blackout. Its all in good fun.

Because this is a sports logos and uniform site and most black uniforms are both out of place and ugly.

As far as Oregon's colors, black will probably never be a school color since it'll probably get dropped at some point (along with silver, highlighter yellow, anthracite, etc.) when Nike decides that simplicity and/or retro are the new trend to follow. Plenty of teams use black alts, but it doesn't just suddenly become a team color, and Oregon's only had their black alt in football for a few years, so it's not like it has become a long standing tradition or something.

Colorado did use "Air Force Blue" for a while in the 80s...it looked good as an accent on the sleeves (better on the sleeves than used in helmet logo and jersey), but it wasn't a team color, and it subsequently went away.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's not a team color unless the university says it is. Length of time doesn't mean :censored:.

so the University of Michigan can just make purple a school color and then it's ok to use it in the uniforms? I don't really see the difference between using a non-school color and just adopting a color and then using it. Now i'm not saying teams should use strange colors in their unis, but when a team's been using a color for such a long time it becomes part of their identity, official or unofficial. With Colorado I can't really imafine them looking like the Colorado Buffs without the black. And a team that does this has to start somewhere, Oregon has been using black in their uniforms for about ten years, and there has been black trim on their old UO logos too. I and I'm sure others now view it as part of their athletic identity. I don't see the problem with that.

maehl.png

so the University of Michigan can just make purple a school color and then it's ok to use it in the uniforms? I don't really see the difference between using a non-school color and just adopting a color and then using it. Now i'm not saying teams should use strange colors in their unis, but when a team's been using a color for such a long time it becomes part of their identity, official or unofficial. With Colorado I can't really imafine them looking like the Colorado Buffs without the black. And a team that does this has to start somewhere, Oregon has been using black in their uniforms for about ten years, and there has been black trim on their old UO logos too. I and I'm sure others now view it as part of their athletic identity. I don't see the problem with that.

Black wont be a color people think of for Oregon. Ever. Green and gold are the only consistent colors they've used in their history and that's what people will think of. Not silver, black, highlighter yellow, anthracite, etc. Black for Oregon is just an alternate color rather than something anybody would consider a primary for them.

In fact, tons of teams use pointless and ugly black alternates and/or trim/accents. Middle Tennessee, Rutgers, Washington, Western Kentucky and so on and so forth, but black doesn't magically become a true part of their identity. But I guess Oregon fans will defend anything and everything Oregon no matter how ridiculous to the point of essentially claiming that black is now one of their colors.

Archived