National Signing Day

Cola

Huge day for college football fans as the next generation of players roll in.

My Gamecocks have pretty much signed everyone but the BIG ONE and are looking pretty good sitting at #20 on Rivals' Rankings...still waiting until 2/14 to get confirmation on the #1 recruit in the nation, which would be a big help.

I'm into the recruiting process, not proud of how commercialized it has kind of become...and I don't put all my weight into the stars beside the players names'- but it sure is something to do and watch during the offseason!

8 SEC teams are currently in the Top 20 recruiting classes, with Alabama soaring high.

Thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone else catch Rich Rod on CBS College Sports talking to Dan Mullen, you know the Mississippi State head coach that kicked his ass on New Year's? I only watched two minutes since that was all I could stomach but Rich Rod went straight into "I'm the victim" mode saying things like "Talking to your staff it seems you have the full backing of you school and they buy completely into your system. Do you think that's important to your success?"

Once again Rich, you show you don't get it and exactly why you were and had to be fired.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

My Gamecocks have pretty much signed everyone but the BIG ONE and are looking pretty good sitting at #20 on Rivals' Rankings...still waiting until 2/14 to get confirmation on the #1 recruit in the nation, which would be a big help.

I'm into the recruiting process, not proud of how commercialized it has kind of become...and I don't put all my weight into the stars beside the players names'- but it sure is something to do and watch during the offseason!

8 SEC teams are currently in the Top 20 recruiting classes, with Alabama soaring high.

Thoughts?

That Top 20 class is going to be squandered like just about everything else that goes to Columbia, so *MDWM*

Did anyone else catch Rich Rod on CBS College Sports talking to Dan Mullen, you know the Mississippi State head coach that kicked his ass on New Year's? I only watched two minutes since that was all I could stomach but Rich Rod went straight into "I'm the victim" mode saying things like "Talking to your staff it seems you have the full backing of you school and they buy completely into your system. Do you think that's important to your success?"

Once again Rich, you show you don't get it and exactly why you were and had to be fired.

I'm not sure how you can implicitly claim Rodriguez had the full support of Michigan and full buy in into his system with a completely straight face.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Looks like it's business as usual at Ohio State.

Nebraska is pulling in a great class, ranked somewhere in the 10-15 range depending on source. Looks like they're nipping at the Buckeye's heels for the 2nd best class in the BigTen; should help them be competitive in the new league right away.

I'm particularly excited about the pipeline coming in at O-Line and D-Line. Also of note are Aaron Green and Jamal Turner at RB and QB, respectively.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Looks like it's business as usual at Ohio State.

Nebraska is pulling in a great class, ranked somewhere in the 10-15 range depending on source. Looks like they're nipping at the Buckeye's heels for the 2nd best class in the BigTen; should help them be competitive in the new league right away.

I'm particularly excited about the pipeline coming in at O-Line and D-Line. Also of note are Aaron Green and Jamal Turner at RB and QB, respectively.

You didn't click the link did you? :D An Ohio State recruit was arrested for "fondling a 15 year old." That's what I meant by business as usual.

Anyway, I think Nebraska is going to be very competitive right out of the gate. I love the fact that they joined the Big Ten.

BB52Big.jpg

Thoughts?

That Top 20 class is going to be squandered like just about everything else that goes to Columbia, so *MDWM*

Kind of an odd thing to say because ever since we have been doing decently well in recruiting, which is basically the last 10 years or so, we have had some of the best years in the history of our program...along with many athletes continuing on to the NFL for successful careers. We have been getting solid Top 25 classes for the past 5 or 6 years and it has certainly reflected onto the field...definitely not what would classify as "squandered" away. We haven't hit on a National Championship by any means, but that would discredit tons of programs and their recruiting if you followed that logic...especially if you're not in the SEC the past 5 years.

How many other programs are consistently in the Top 25 of recruiting without a prior national championship, a huge amount of success before this decade, or naturally come from a hotbed to where it is irrelevant (FSU, for example)? Says a lot about our program's recruiting and future, in my opinion.

Signing the number 1 recruit in the nation also says a little something...especially when the alternative is Alabama.

I'm not sure how you can implicitly claim Rodriguez had the full support of Michigan and full buy in into his system with a completely straight face.

Oh I know he didn't, and I'm more of a Michigan State fan, but he did nothing to help his case.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Hey Cola, I almost forgot about this...

My BCS Predictions

Sugar Bowl

Ohio State 14

Arkansas 38

Ohio State stays winless against the SEC, and I honestly think this one could get even uglier than I predict. If Mallet is even decent, it's gonna be a long one for the Buckeyes. He's the best overall QB in college football right now and while I'd love to see my Gamecocks playing in this game, I know Arkansas is definitely the 2nd best team in the SEC this year.

Nice call there. :D

BB52Big.jpg

This could be one of the most overreated "days of the sports calendar", next to when pitchers and catchers reporting. There is nothing truly measurable from today. Keep in mind:

1- Texas had signed their class last year when they were juniors. They try to corner the market on early commits.

2- The schools are signing on potential. Measure how good it really is after two or three years. The Big Lead measured from the class of 2002 of the "top 5 recruiting winners". It does not always equate to team or personal success. Ex: Kyle 'F-ing' Wright

3- The schools of the SEC, C-USA, and Sun Belt are notorious for oversigning. We will soon see which players get released from their scholarships due to it.

4- ESPN the Magazine ran the list of the last 25 national players of the year. It is an Insider exclusive, but I will post it from a fan board. Link

My BCS Predictions

Sugar Bowl

Ohio State 14

Arkansas 38

Ohio State stays winless against the SEC, and I honestly think this one could get even uglier than I predict. If Mallet is even decent, it's gonna be a long one for the Buckeyes. He's the best overall QB in college football right now and while I'd love to see my Gamecocks playing in this game, I know Arkansas is definitely the 2nd best team in the SEC this year.

ah, was hoping you'd forgot about that! well, I liked my prediction and how it started off...until the Arkansas receivers forgot how to catch a football! at any rate, I believe I immediately conceded to a congrats to you guys afterwards! :notworthy:

My BCS Predictions

Sugar Bowl

Ohio State 14

Arkansas 38

ah, was hoping you'd forgot about that! well, I liked my prediction and how it started off...until the Arkansas receivers forgot how to catch a football! at any rate, I believe I immediately conceded to a congrats to you guys afterwards! :notworthy:

You did indeed. I was just giving you a hard time. Besides, beating an SEC team is just such a once in a generation event for us that we have to take every opportunity we get to celebrate it.

BB52Big.jpg

Thoughts?

Kind of an odd thing to say because ever since we have been doing decently well in recruiting, which is basically the last 10 years or so, we have had some of the best years in the history of our program...along with many athletes continuing on to the NFL for successful careers. We have been getting solid Top 25 classes for the past 5 or 6 years and it has certainly reflected onto the field...definitely not what would classify as "squandered" away. We haven't hit on a National Championship by any means, but that would discredit tons of programs and their recruiting if you followed that logic...especially if you're not in the SEC the past 5 years.

How many other programs are consistently in the Top 25 of recruiting without a prior national championship, a huge amount of success before this decade, or naturally come from a hotbed to where it is irrelevant (FSU, for example)? Says a lot about our program's recruiting and future, in my opinion.

Signing the number 1 recruit in the nation also says a little something...especially when the alternative is Alabama.

You've only played in one SEC Conference championship game, and it took a perfect storm of Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee all bottoming out to pull off. If you weren't squandering that talent, you'd have made more than one trip to Atlanta during that span.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ялта как привлекает этот курорт к себе отдыхающих со всего мира. Зовем Вас на морской курорт, передохните и наберитесь здоровья.

В этом Вам поможет макросистема интернет бронирования ялта отдых фото

Бронирование в системе гарантированное и быстроногое. стоимости дешевые. Если Вы хотите заказать существование в другом городе Крыма. Напишите здесь в каком городе Вы бы хотели оттягиваться в полный рост.

Проголосуйте за лучший курорт Крыма.

кроме того Вы сможете заказать снять квартиру посуточно в ялте

Ждем вы в Ялте. Курорт известного класса.

What he said.

BB52Big.jpg

This could be one of the most overreated "days of the sports calendar", next to when pitchers and catchers reporting. There is nothing truly measurable from today. Keep in mind:

1- Texas had signed their class last year when they were juniors. They try to corner the market on early commits.

2- The schools are signing on potential. Measure how good it really is after two or three years. The Big Lead measured from the class of 2002 of the "top 5 recruiting winners". It does not always equate to team or personal success. Ex: Kyle 'F-ing' Wright

3- The schools of the SEC, C-USA, and Sun Belt are notorious for oversigning. We will soon see which players get released from their scholarships due to it.

4- ESPN the Magazine ran the list of the last 25 national players of the year. It is an Insider exclusive, but I will post it from a fan board. Link

Pretty much agree with you. Half these so-called "great" players and classes turn out to be nothing in college. I call this day, "National Primadonna Day." I don't understand why people don't see that high school kids having press conferences to announce where they are going to "school" isn't part of the reason that athletes today have no sense of reality. I just find it ironic that people will jump all over Lebron James for his show to announce where he's going to play, and yet no one rips into high school kids sitting at a table with 10 hats in front of them to announce where they are going to "school" to play football and not to even attend a class.

Signing day is a joke at this point. The big non-AQ programs have lowered the significance of recruit star rankings by winning consistently with low-ranked recruits, so what's the point of ranking the classes or making a big blow about commitments?

It's just something to talk about. It gives college football a news cycle during Super Bowl week. It's still a big deal to the schools and the players. A "5 star" class or recruit probably helps with recruiting. Should I go on or is that enough? Besides, can you honestly say you haven't been keeping an eye on who signed with Boise State today? B)

BB52Big.jpg

Archived