Toothless Cracker Kills Trees

The_Admiral

This is not new guys in 1916 Texas A&M kidnapped the Longhorns mascot and put a brand 13-0 on its side to taunt Texas over the previous year's score. Texas than decided to cover up the brand and the result was the name Bevo which is still the name of Longhorn mascots.

How is that anything like poisoning a tree?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tree worship that prompted this crime is kind of weird, but dumping a bucket of poison into the soil is completely beyond the pale and has health ramifications far beyond killing some holy tree. And now there's a militia protecting the Bear Bryant statue from Auburn's retaliating townie white trash. God, I hate the South.

Does it even occur to you that characterizing everyone in an entire region based on the actions of one idiot, if not quite as moronic as poisoning trees because of college football, is at least in the ballpark? :rolleyes:

Tell me where you're from and give me two minutes on Google. Do you want to be held to account for every asinine act going on where you live?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I've heard a lot of people say that some Alabama fans will look at this guy as a hero. I haven't seen anyone celebrate what happened and if anyone is wearing the stupid shirt that says "Free Harvey" I'm going to punch their lights out. A rivalry is supposed to be fun and when you possibly poison people that crosses the line.

Yeah, they put a Scam Newton jersey on the statue and planted "28-27" in some different colored grass in front of the stadium. So what? There's no need to respond - it's like what my dad told me when I was a kid and asked if Alabama had ever stormed the field in football: "No, we're above that."

@McCarthy - Dude's not even from Alabama, he's from Texas originally and never walked into any college classroom.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

What's even more ridiculous is there is a percentage of Alabama fans who will see this guy as some sort of hero. "Fans" really ruin sports for the rest of us.

Indeed. I'm no longer a fan, just a well-wisher of various athletic programs, at the academic, semi-professional, and professional level.

This guy must be a very sore sport. I understand that Alabama and Auburn fans will never get along as long as man walks the Earth. I get it... What this guy did was just plain criminal.

I hope all Alabama fans disown this idiot and tell him to go root for freaking UAB after this stunt.

This guy must be a very sore sport. I understand that Alabama and Auburn fans will never get along as long as man walks the Earth. I get it... What this guy did was just plain criminal.

I hope all Alabama fans disown this idiot and tell him to go root for freaking UAB after this stunt.

I put in my vote for North Alabama - then he gets to root for former Auburn coach Terry Bowden.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

In the "sort of similar, but not really" category, a few guys in the senior class before mine in high school used some kind of poison to put "CLASS OF 1994" in the football field. Really big... covering a large section of the field. It had to be resodded pretty close to the start of my senior year, and in our first game, one of our OL/DL (who had scholarship offers from PITT, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc.) had his foot get stuck in a spot between the old grass and new sod, tore everything, and hasn't walked normally since.

Anyway, I'm kind of ashamed to live in a country where I'm associated with toothless hillbillies. America is simply too big. Time to break it up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"Um, hey south, you know that Civil War thing? Well if you still want it bad enough...."

Well I'm not saying let them have slaves, but if they want guns and the right to marry their sisters, then hell, give it to them. Just build a wall around the civilized areas to keep them out.

Seriously - you cannot make laws that apply to megalopolis and Shelbyville and fly-over country. The same goes with states. How anyone expects for boundaries that were good 200 years ago to still work now is beyond me. Time for a total re-org. 4 or 5 "countries", each divided into newly-traced administrative regions (or states), held together by a common army (which would all come from the south.) I'm no political science guy, but isn't this what a confederacy is? I'm really not sure... but IMO this whole big-country thing just doesn't work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"Um, hey south, you know that Civil War thing? Well if you still want it bad enough...."

Well I'm not saying let them have slaves, but if they want guns and the right to marry their sisters, then hell, give it to them. Just build a wall around the civilized areas to keep them out.

Seriously - you cannot make laws that apply to megalopolis and Shelbyville and fly-over country. The same goes with states. How anyone expects for boundaries that were good 200 years ago to still work now is beyond me. Time for a total re-org. 4 or 5 "countries", each divided into newly-traced administrative regions (or states), held together by a common army (which would all come from the south.) I'm no political science guy, but isn't this what a confederacy is? I'm really not sure... but IMO this whole big-country thing just doesn't work.

I know you weren't talking about slaves. Just that if the southern states formed their own country you wouldn't be lumped in with these yokels.

As for your idea, it's interesting, but 1) you'd need some sort of central government, even if it was a fairly limited on, and 2) letting one region in this uber-confederacy have a near monopoly on the armed forces is just asking for them to try and exert their own influences over the entire whole.

I'd say we should stop here because that's off-topic, but I would much rather discuss theoretical political structures then "jerka$$ endangers water supply because the team he doesn't like beat his favourite team."

@McCarthy - Dude's not even from Alabama, he's from Texas originally and never walked into any college classroom.

I knew it. I wasn't making a disparaging statement against Alabama. I just know that living in Columbus the most vocal and jackassey Ohio State fans always turn out to be people who never even went to college. If you see a pickup with flags, magnets, bumper stickers that say "Ann Arbor's a Whore", etc., then 9 out of 10 times that person didn't go to OSU, or any college for that matter.

Somewhat in the same ballpark (well not really, but a rival prank gone awry) when I was a sophomore at Dublin Coffman high school our rivals, Hilliard Davidson, decided to paint our rock in their royal blue and white colors. We're the Shamrocks so we have a giant boulder outside the football stadium. It was an idiotic prank to begin with because the rock gets painted a variety of different colors every week. I actually think it was already blue from the drama club painting it the week before. Anyways, someone tipped off the Dublin cops, who were politely allowing the students to vandalize the rock, but then intervened when the students (some under the influence) tried to burn the new turf field and throw paint on the cop cars. I think like 144 kids were arrested. I forget the actual number, but it was more than 100. We made t-shirts and I was interviewed by two local news stations the next morning.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I know you weren't talking about slaves. Just that if the southern states formed their own country you wouldn't be lumped in with these yokels.

As for your idea, it's interesting, but 1) you'd need some sort of central government, even if it was a fairly limited on, and 2) letting one region in this uber-confederacy have a near monopoly on the armed forces is just asking for them to try and exert their own influences over the entire whole.

I'd say we should stop here because that's off-topic, but I would much rather discuss theoretical political structures then "jerka$ endangers water supply because the team he doesn't like beat his favourite team."

Oh right - the army comment was kinda tongue-in-cheek just because that's the region where everyone would have guns. Of course you'd need some kind of goverment to run the military and handle international relations and other things. I do legitimately feel that our state boundaries need to be redrawn (and possibly even consolidated) and that larger administrative regions would be beneficial. That other stuff was more just message-board babbling.

Now back to the topic - sports fans are dumb.

Have you read The Nine Nations of North America? Very good read that breaks down North America into smaller "nations" based on shared culture and social geography. It doesn't advocate breaking up the union per se, but if the union ever did break up I would imagine it's end up something like that. It also comes with this nifty little map.

afbeelding-6.png

IIRC, he made an addendum some years later that carved "Metropolis" (NYC, Long Island, Jersey and Southeast Pa.) out of Foundry and "Piedmont" (think the "classic" ACC states) out of Dixie.

Remember this the next time someone makes a crack about "typical Philadelphia fans."

BB52Big.jpg

You mean how Philly fans are drunk, violent to others wearing a different jersey, violent towards their own fellow fans, throw batteries, start riots, burn cars, etc?

Yea... That's Philly. Civilized.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

You mean how Philly fans are drunk, violent to others wearing a different jersey, violent towards their own fellow fans, throw batteries, start riots, burn cars, etc?

Yea... That's Philly. Civilized.

That's everybody in the Northeast. Well, not really, but if a few here choose to showcase their ignorance by characterizing the entire South based on the actions of one tree-killing idiot or a Dukes of Hazzard marathon, I might as well go with it.

And please, South-haters, no condescending "lighten ups" either. If it wasn't what you meant, or you weren't serious, either don't post it or make it a little more obvious that you were trying to be cute and not trying to sound stupid. I expected more from you guys. Well, some of you. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived