Anaheim Kings?

alwaysr92

Also by "biggest", I meant fanbase. As much as I hate em the Lakers do have one of the biggest and most loyal fanbases period.

Well loyalty is not something that is strictly measureable (nor is fanbase size). However Forbes did find a way to measure such a thing with more than just anecdotal evidence and they disagree with you as well. They measured the following, "measured their home and away game attendance, which indicates a team's drawing power in its home market and nationwide. Then we counted their merchandise sales. Finally, we ranked each team's in-market popularity, based on surveys. We ranked all of the teams, then took the top four from each of the four leagues." They didn't even have the Lakers fans in the top 10 of North American sports either.

16. Blackhawks

15. Phillies

14. Yankees

13. Cavs

12. Lakers

11. Canadiens

10. Cardinals

9. Cowboys

8. Spurs

7. Celtics

6. Penguins

5. Patriots

4. Colts

3. Red Wings

2. Steelers

1. Red Sox

As for my statements previously, they were based on pure franchise value. Again the Lakers aren't even in the top 20 of that according to the latest value estimates. They're less valued than all 32 NFL teams and the Yankees and Mets. Still impressive and they're by far the most valuable basketball team, but they're no where near the top of valued sports teams.

Sources:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/02/best-fans-teams-lifestyle-sports-fandom_slide.html

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/forbes.html

Dude, your retarded. How the :censored: are the :censored:ing Cavs (a teams that hasn't done :censored:, even with Lebron) ahead of the NEW YORK YANKEES??

10 Patriots

9 Cardinals

8 Red Wings

7 Celtics

6 Cowboys

5 Red Sox

4 Steelers

3 Canadiens

2 Lakers

1 Yankees

1) If you're going to call someone "retarded" (which you shouldn't), you should use the form of "you're"

2) Forbes made the list, not him.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also by "biggest", I meant fanbase. As much as I hate em the Lakers do have one of the biggest and most loyal fanbases period.

Well loyalty is not something that is strictly measureable (nor is fanbase size). However Forbes did find a way to measure such a thing with more than just anecdotal evidence and they disagree with you as well. They measured the following, "measured their home and away game attendance, which indicates a team's drawing power in its home market and nationwide. Then we counted their merchandise sales. Finally, we ranked each team's in-market popularity, based on surveys. We ranked all of the teams, then took the top four from each of the four leagues." They didn't even have the Lakers fans in the top 10 of North American sports either.

16. Blackhawks

15. Phillies

14. Yankees

13. Cavs

12. Lakers

11. Canadiens

10. Cardinals

9. Cowboys

8. Spurs

7. Celtics

6. Penguins

5. Patriots

4. Colts

3. Red Wings

2. Steelers

1. Red Sox

As for my statements previously, they were based on pure franchise value. Again the Lakers aren't even in the top 20 of that according to the latest value estimates. They're less valued than all 32 NFL teams and the Yankees and Mets. Still impressive and they're by far the most valuable basketball team, but they're no where near the top of valued sports teams.

Sources:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/02/best-fans-teams-lifestyle-sports-fandom_slide.html

Dude, your retarded. How the :censored: are the :censored:ing Cavs (a teams that hasn't done :censored:, even with Lebron) ahead of the NEW YORK YANKEES??

10 Patriots

9 Cardinals

8 Red Wings

7 Celtics

6 Cowboys

5 Red Sox

4 Steelers

3 Canadiens

2 Lakers

1 Yankees

I didn't make the list genius... Try reading a post before commenting on it using improper grammar.

16. Blackhawks

15. Phillies

14. Yankees

13. Cavs

12. Lakers

11. Canadiens

10. Cardinals

9. Cowboys

8. Spurs

7. Celtics

6. Penguins

5. Patriots

4. Colts

3. Red Wings

2. Steelers

1. Red Sox

Sources:

10 Patriots

9 Cardinals

8 Red Wings

7 Celtics

6 Cowboys

5 Red Sox

4 Steelers

3 Canadiens

2 Lakers

1 Yankees

I didn't make the list genius... Try reading a post before commenting on it using improper grammar.

No, but in all fairness, you did use it as a basis for making your point.

16. Blackhawks

15. Phillies

14. Yankees

13. Cavs

12. Lakers

11. Canadiens

10. Cardinals

9. Cowboys

8. Spurs

7. Celtics

6. Penguins

5. Patriots

4. Colts

3. Red Wings

2. Steelers

1. Red Sox

Sources:

10 Patriots

9 Cardinals

8 Red Wings

7 Celtics

6 Cowboys

5 Red Sox

4 Steelers

3 Canadiens

2 Lakers

1 Yankees

No, but in all fairness, you did use it as a basis for making your point.

In all fairness he called me a "retard" which I consider very offensive so I really don't give a :censored: what the idiot's justification is for his poorly written and poorly thought out statement.

So ummm....getting back to the subject of whether or not this is actually a viable move and whether or not San Diegans will burn an evening to travel to a suburban hellhole to watch a crappy basketball team, I'm just wondering this.

Has San Diego torn down their old sports arena yet? If the target audience is going to be San Diegans, wouldn't it make sense to put the team down there?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So ummm....getting back to the subject of whether or not this is actually a viable move and whether or not San Diegans will burn an evening to travel to a suburban hellhole to watch a crappy basketball team, I'm just wondering this.

Has San Diego torn down their old sports arena yet? If the target audience is going to be San Diegans, wouldn't it make sense to put the team down there?

No we still have the Rockets old arena down here. Still works pretty good for what we use it for too. But there are no plans to build a new arena. Hell AEG liked our old one so much they bought the rights to run it and got a naming sponsor.

No we still have the Rockets old arena down here. Still works pretty good for what we use it for too. But there are no plans to build a new arena. Hell AEG liked our old one so much they bought the rights to run it and got a naming sponsor.

Oh, AEG likes it? I was of the understanding that it was slated for the jobing.com arena treatment after the Gulls were shut down a couple of years ago.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Where did it say San Diego was the target market for the Anaheim move? Sure, they could draw from there, but Orange County and its 3 million people, plus the additional 9.4 million in the L.A. area, are clearly the target. San Diego would be after that on the list of priorities, I'd think.

what's going on in this thr-

anaheim?

ANAHEIM?!

3 teams in L.A. would be an atrocity. I hate David Stern, but this must be beyond him. How could L.A. have 3 teams before Seattle gets 1?

Objectively it makes no sense for anyone but the little runt.

Seattle doesn't have an arena.

This thread is taking a hard turn for the dumb.

Yep. Right about here....

Sorry if this was brought up before, but i ran across this on ESPN...it looks as though the Kings are getting serious about them trying to move to Anaheim.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2011/news/story?id=6140807

Oh, AEG likes it? I was of the understanding that it was slated for the jobing.com arena treatment after the Gulls were shut down a couple of years ago.

They've been "slating" it for this or that for years. But it's gone on as it's always been for years now. AEG is just managing it and there are currently no plans to redevelop it. One thing that has kept it from the wrecking ball I think is that it's the only ice capable arena or venue in San Diego County. So it's the only place events like Ice Capades, Sesame Street Live and Disney on Ice can come to. Not to mention I believe it's also the only indoor venue that has a large group sales dept in the county for events like the one they're holding this week for some huge motivational speaker convention.

Though if they're going to keep it long term I wish they'd spruce it up a little and pave the parking lot. Some potholes over there that could swallow a Suburban.

Regardless though it's obviously not capable of hosting NBA basketball except as it already does in exhibition form.

whether or not San Diegans will burn an evening to travel to a suburban hellhole

It's not that bad around Honda Center.

That brewery restaurant across the street is good. But in general he's right. That said, I wouldn't drive up to Anaheim for what's around the Honda Center. I'd drive up for the game, when the Clippers come down to play the Anaheim Chumbuckets, and drive back when it's done. It's only an hour and a half drive when traffic is good.

People in Sacramento aren't making the 45 minute trip for the Kings. What makes you think people will make an hour and a half trip for the same team?

People in Sac are used to having basketball around after 26 years. People in San Diego, and the IE have never had a team within reasonable driving distance and there is definitely a market of fans who are under served. How long they'd keep coming out is a good question however, but I'd wager it will be tied to performance more than anything. If the Maloofs keep running the Anaheim Afterbirth the same way they've run the Kings on the cheap it may be hard to draw from anywhere let alone SD and the IE.

People in Sacramento aren't making the 45 minute trip for the Kings. What makes you think people will make an hour and a half trip for the same team?

People in Sac are used to having basketball around after 26 years. People in San Diego, and the IE have never had a team within reasonable driving distance and there is definitely a market of fans who are under served. How long they'd keep coming out is a good question however, but I'd wager it will be tied to performance more than anything. If the Maloofs keep running the Anaheim Afterbirth the same way they've run the Kings on the cheap it may be hard to draw from anywhere let alone SD and the IE.

Novelty works for 1 season (if that).

If you want San Diegans to come out, you're better off playing at the corner Walgreens in San Diego.

Today, we are all otaku.

If you want San Diegans to come out, you're better off playing at the corner Walgreens in San Diego.

True, but San Diego isn't the target. The under-served market of 3 million people of Orange County are the prime target. SD and the IE are just icing.

True, but San Diego isn't the target. The under-served market of 3 million people of Orange County are the prime target. SD and the IE are just icing.

I'm inclined to dispute that Orange County is underserved when they have a hockey team and a baseball team in town and 2 basketball teams within what most people outside of the Pacific time zone would consider reasonable driving distance, but whatever.

Today, we are all otaku.

I'm inclined to dispute that Orange County is underserved when they have a hockey team and a baseball team in town and 2 basketball teams within what most people outside of the Pacific time zone would consider reasonable driving distance, but whatever.

Well if the traffic's bad enough, I think that's a legitimate reason to put a third team there. Wait, is traffic bad from Long Beach to Anaheim? Maybe we need a fourth team there, too. Then they'd be right on the Pacific and could tap the Hawaiian market as well.

Seattle doesn't have an arena.

they're building a new one.

And I'll tell you what they do have: excellent fans who buy the :censored: product of the NBA

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

they're building a new one.

Really? Where?

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived