Anaheim Kings?

alwaysr92

Some very interesting stuff there, from the Sacramento perspective. Looks like the Maloofs are banking on a big TV deal. And it seems Samueli will be there to swoop in if "needed." He's keeping a lot of control, which should protect him and the Ducks.

(And maybe it's just me, but I wonder how long it will be before the Maloofs cry poor because of the "terrible" terms of the lease in Anaheim.)

If anything initially, the Royals might get a local TV deal on par of what the Clippers currently get. I remember the Clippers' previous broadcast deals with KTLA and Prime Ticket, they were pulling in a combined $20 million a year (give a take a million), and their current deal with Prime Ticket is reportedly significantly larger than that deal; those numbers, as far as I can find, were never made public. It's almost a certainty that the Royals will ink a deal with Fox Sports West/Prime Ticket, but they still have to find to an over-the-air TV partner for those nights when any combination of the Lakers, Clips, Kings, Ducks, or college sports teams are playing.

With the Lakers abandoning over the air in a year, that should be easier to do.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some very interesting stuff there, from the Sacramento perspective. Looks like the Maloofs are banking on a big TV deal. And it seems Samueli will be there to swoop in if "needed." He's keeping a lot of control, which should protect him and the Ducks.

(And maybe it's just me, but I wonder how long it will be before the Maloofs cry poor because of the "terrible" terms of the lease in Anaheim.)

If anything initially, the Royals might get a local TV deal on par of what the Clippers currently get. I remember the Clippers' previous broadcast deals with KTLA and Prime Ticket, they were pulling in a combined $20 million a year (give a take a million), and their current deal with Prime Ticket is reportedly significantly larger than that deal; those numbers, as far as I can find, were never made public. It's almost a certainty that the Royals will ink a deal with Fox Sports West/Prime Ticket, but they still have to find to an over-the-air TV partner for those nights when any combination of the Lakers, Clips, Kings, Ducks, or college sports teams are playing.

With the Lakers abandoning over the air in a year, that should be easier to do.

I agree, in theory...but someone is going to want take on televising the Royals games. Surely, they could buy time on one of the local stations, and split whatever revenues are accumulated for each broadcast. A similar route would be what KCAL does with the Lakers and Dodgers (or more like the NBC-NHL partnership), instead of a straight rights deal, it's more of a partnership. KCAL and each team split advertising revenue generated during each telecast. However, I think the Maloofs want something more traditional, i.e. guaranteed money upfront.

Lots of luck with that. Over-the-air stations aren't really in the business of signing sports contracts anymore. It would probably have to be some deal where FSN produces the game and then they buy the time or something.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

See, as a Ducks fan, it's things like that that make me so readily acceptable to the Royals moving in.

They are going to add another ring of suites to the upper level of the Pond. Those suites are now more valuable with an NBA franchise. More corporations buy the suites because of NBA games and in turn makes them buy for the NHL games (and whatever other events). So more money is going to the Anaheim Arena Management and into the Ducks.

More corporate dollars brought in to the Pond and to the Ducks.

I don't know how things work with suites. Do the suite owners have rights to that suite for all events at that arena (basketball, hockey and concerts)? If so, how is money distributed to the teams? If the Kings move to the Honda Center, will current suite owners be told to pay twice as much?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Lots of luck with that. Over-the-air stations aren't really in the business of signing sports contracts anymore. It would probably have to be some deal where FSN produces the game and then they buy the time or something.

What about like how many MLB teams do for their radio distribution which is purchase the time from the station for a flat rate and then keep all of the ad revenue for themselves?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That's an option. Guess it depends on how much the Maloofs think they can bill relative to how much it costs to buy three hours of prime time, and whether KCAL wants to part with how much they're billing for whatever syndicated dreck they regularly schedule in the first place. It could be that more people would rather watch Tyler Perry's House of Payne than a bad NBA team.

That's an option. Guess it depends on how much the Maloofs think they can bill relative to how much it costs to buy three hours of prime time, and whether KCAL wants to part with how much they're billing for whatever syndicated dreck they regularly schedule in the first place. It could be that more people would rather watch Tyler Perry's House of Payne than a bad NBA team.

Although the point is well-taken, KCAL actually has live newscasts in primetime every night between 8-11pm, so all of that advertising revenue is theirs alone. Most Tuesdays and Saturday nights during the baseball season, they have the Dodgers, and of course any Laker road game not exclusive to TNT or ABC. KCAL's syndicated content is mostly talk and courtroom shows, re-runs of Scrubs and The George Lopez Show, and they share the re-runs of those CBS dramas that are running in syndication (CSI New York, Criminal Minds, Cold Case) with sister station, KCBS-TV.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that KCAL could air both Lakers and Royals games, if only for next season; they did both air Laker and Clipper games back in the mid-90s, and it was at least 55 telecasts between the two each year that the arrangement was in place.

See, as a Ducks fan, it's things like that that make me so readily acceptable to the Royals moving in.

They are going to add another ring of suites to the upper level of the Pond. Those suites are now more valuable with an NBA franchise. More corporations buy the suites because of NBA games and in turn makes them buy for the NHL games (and whatever other events). So more money is going to the Anaheim Arena Management and into the Ducks.

More corporate dollars brought in to the Pond and to the Ducks.

I don't know how things work with suites. Do the suite owners have rights to that suite for all events at that arena (basketball, hockey and concerts)? If so, how is money distributed to the teams? If the Kings move to the Honda Center, will current suite owners be told to pay twice as much?

Yeah at the Pond, you get all the events with the suites/club level tickets. You can buy an individual suite/seat for an individual game/concert when they're available. But the yearly suite/club contracts get all the events.

Distribution will be tricky I think. Right now the Ducks basically get all the money because the Samuelis own Anaheim Arena Management and the Ducks. So depending on how much stake the Samuelis end up getting in the Kings/Royals will probably dictate how much the Kings/Royals get.

And yes, suites and club level pricing will go up. Here's a quote from the OC Register on that: "Ticket prices for the 1,715 club seats (all-event seats on the 300 level) and for the 84 luxury suites will increase, as stipulated in existing contracts, when an NBA team moves into the arena. The naming rights contract with American Honda Motor Corp. also stipulates an increase in cost if a second professional tenant arrives."

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Does Fox Sports West or Prime Ticket not use overflow channels? The Knicks, Rangers, Devils, and Islanders all share the MSG channels in the New York area and there are nights when all 4 are going on and all the games get aired live. When there are more than two games going on one of the games go to an overflow channel (named either MSG2 or MSG+2, depending on the original channel). It usually the TV Guide channel (on cable) that gets activated into one of those channels. Satellite systems also have these channels when necessary. Same thing happens in Washington when the Caps and Wizards play at the same time.

If the Kings have to settle for a time buy tv deal is such a move worth it, especially since they won't be the primary tenant at Honda Center (cutting down revenue they can get).

Rebranding the old Sportschannel as MSG+ was a bad idea for this reason. You can have too much branding. Is + the overflow or is 2? Some RSNs have +, some have 2. "MSG+2." Equals what? Piss-poor hockey, most likely.

Rebranding the old Sportschannel as MSG+ was a bad idea for this reason. You can have too much branding. Is + the overflow or is 2? Some RSNs have +, some have 2. "MSG+2." Equals what? Piss-poor hockey, most likely.

I agree, why not just have MSG, MSG2, MSG3, and MSG4? I really don't get why any of these sports stations use "+".

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I agree, why not just have MSG, MSG2, MSG3, and MSG4? I really don't get why any of these sports stations use "+".

The plus stands for quality. Which is why you're watching the Islanders on it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Does Fox Sports West or Prime Ticket not use overflow channels?

Nope. For the most part, it's Lakers/Kings on FSWest and Clippers/Ducks on PrimeTicket. But you also have the Lakers road games on KCAL-9, some Kings games on My13, and some Ducks games on KDOC-12.

So when there is a night when all three are playing on one of FS/PT, or you get into baseball season with the Angels on FSWest and the Dodgers on PrimeTicket, then you'll have the Kings on My13 or Ducks on KDOC. The Lakers/KCAL deal really helps out in this regard.

But if the Lakers aren't starting their TV network until 2012-13 and the Kings/Royals come down for 2011-12, then the Royals might be screwed when it comes to broadcasting, or FS/PT will just have to add an overflow channel.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The plus stands for quality. Which is why you're watching the Islanders on it.

It's MSG, MSG2, MSG+, and MSG+2.

MSG and MSG+ (formerly FSNY & Sportschannel before that) are always the same channel, but they throw MSG2 (usually the Rangers when there's a Knicks conflict) and MSG+2 (Usually the Devils w/ an Isles conflict) all over the place. Sometimes it's in place of the TV Guide channel, sometimes on an unused channel on a lower number, sometimes it's in the 700's on those stupid new digital boxes they require on every TV. It's a hot mess.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

This is very common. Chicago has had situations (usually around this time of year) when there have been games on WGN, CSN, CSN+ and CSN+2.

It's rare, and those plus channels don't exist normally (in the Chicago area, CLTV becomes CSN+, essentially). Cable companies use an empty channel or a channel that normally carries local sports programming to handle the overflow. In my hometown, that channel is Mediacom 22, which is conveniently next to WGN on basic cable. Once you know where to look when a game is on, you just check those overflow channels and you're fine. (Helped my grandma find the Cubs quite a bit over the years.)

So New York has YES, SNY, MSG, MSG+, MSG2, and MSG+2. This seems necessary.

That and the Devils played a game on C-Span about a month ago. Not joking.

They were also on TV Guide Channel at one time too. Here's what pisses me off, when this happens the game is not in HD. Why does friggen MSG Plus force us to endure the Islanders in NJ, while we have to watch the Devils on what ever channel they feel like. Its a joke there are no Islanders fans around any more. Let the Islander fans in Other Monatuge watch their team in Standard Def on CSPAN.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

That's a good question. If this wasn't the Dolans we were talking about, I'd suspect that the Isles get better ratings in the city than the Devils.

But with those clowns in charge, it could be mere spite. It could be them thinking that the Islanders' color scheme is similar enough to the Knicks' to give their basketball team some sort of osmosis marketing bump. Could be that the name "Devils" offends their religious sensibilities. My opinion of them is sufficiently low that I believe any of those could be the case.

Archived