Anaheim Kings?

alwaysr92

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anaheim Royals of Southern California

If we cast a wide enough net maybe somebody will show up.

I've been saying for a while that's their goal. They're going to target Anaheim and the OC as their primary market, but they're going to actively try to draw from the Inland Empire and San Diego. I'd be shocked if they don't play preseason games in both areas and don't make sure they're on TV in both.

I'm sure they're going to be on TV in all the same places that the Lakers and Clippers are, it's just that people aren't going to watch them very much.

"golden state warriors" sounds like a fake university. "orange county_______" sounds like a junior college.

Yes and yes. You can tell they want to go back being the San Francisco Warriors, but they're afraid to pull the trigger.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Anaheim Royals of Southern California

If we cast a wide enough net maybe somebody will show up.

I've been saying for a while that's their goal. They're going to target Anaheim and the OC as their primary market, but they're going to actively try to draw from the Inland Empire and San Diego. I'd be shocked if they don't play preseason games in both areas and don't make sure they're on TV in both.

I'm sure they're going to be on TV in all the same places that the Lakers and Clippers are, it's just that people aren't going to watch them very much.

"golden state warriors" sounds like a fake university. "orange county_______" sounds like a junior college.

Yes and yes. You can tell they want to go back being the San Francisco Warriors, but they're afraid to pull the trigger.

Well it won't be hard for them to be on TV in more places than the Clippers. You currently can't see the Clippers in San Diego, though I can't speak to their availability in the IE.

Pittsburgh?

Exactly.

Some things just don't sound "major league". Cities that end in "ville", "burg or burgh", or "town" just seem like smaller areas. Same with "City". "Oklahoma" would sound a lot better than "Oklahoma City". I kind of feel the same way about "Kansas City", but they've had teams my whole life, and I almost think of it as being "Kansasitti" when I hear it.

When you look at the major market cities, none of them end in these words.

>cough cough<

3373118501_edfbb53faf_z.jpg

:P

Still, point is well taken.

Well isn't it the "City of New York"? Is it ever referred to as New York City on anything official? Doubt you'll ever see New York City on a major league sports jersey.

*sits back and waits for someone to dig one up*

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Actually, it's really just "New York." The city uses "City of New York", "New York City" and "New York" interchangeably, although it is always abbreviated as "NYC."

Which is why you're right - I doubt you'll ever see the word "City" on one of our sports jerseys.

Which is why I've always thought it'd be cool if a sports team nicknamed themselves the "City __________". the "New York City Hawks" sounds kinda cool. I'm talking for a lower level league such as Arena Football, of course.

PvO6ZWJ.png

No, it's just redundant. Any team named "New York" is assumed to be from the city (or around it) rather than the state.

Well it won't be hard for them to be on TV in more places than the Clippers. You currently can't see the Clippers in San Diego, though I can't speak to their availability in the IE.

San Diego doesn't get Prime Ticket? I know they get FSN West with the Angels blacked out because of the Padres, but I assumed with Prime Ticket being something of an overflow for FSN West, they'd have both.

No, it's just redundant. Any team named "New York" is assumed to be from the city (or around it) rather than the state.

Cue the "BUT THE JETS AND GINANTS PLAY IN JERSEY" crowd.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

FWIW, the only reason the Vancouver Grizzlies didn't move to Anaheim rather than Memphis is because Disney still controlled the building at the time and owned the Ducks and wanted Heisley to buy the Ducks and he wasn't interested in an NHL team, so they went to Memphis instead.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

FWIW, the only reason the Vancouver Grizzlies didn't move to Anaheim rather than Memphis is because Disney still controlled the building at the time and owned the Ducks and wanted Heisley to buy the Ducks and he wasn't interested in an NHL team, so they went to Memphis instead.

Exactly. It's not like Anaheim wanting the NBA is new, or the NBA wanting Anaheim.

It will be "Anaheim Royals." I read somewhere that there's some provision in one of the contracts involving the arena's corporate sponsorship deal (which changed the name from the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim to Insert Your Corporate Name Here for $10 Million Arena) that the team would have to use "Anaheim," and unlike the Angels (from which they learned a lesson), only Anaheim. So that eliminates all but "Anaheim Royals."

nav-logo.png

It will be "Anaheim Royals." I read somewhere that there's some provision in one of the contracts involving the arena's corporate sponsorship deal (which changed the name from the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim to Insert Your Corporate Name Here for $10 Million Arena) that the team would have to use "Anaheim," and unlike the Angels (from which they learned a lesson), only Anaheim. So that eliminates all but "Anaheim Royals."

Was there ever really any doubt? They're not gonna go by LA, 2 is enough. And Orange County is just ridiculous. I would've been fine with "California Condors", but that's the only name I think would've been ok to use the state for.

Actually, it's really just "New York." The city uses "City of New York", "New York City" and "New York" interchangeably, although it is always abbreviated as "NYC."

Which is why you're right - I doubt you'll ever see the word "City" on one of our sports jerseys.

Which is why I've always thought it'd be cool if a sports team nicknamed themselves the "City __________". the "New York City Hawks" sounds kinda cool. I'm talking for a lower level league such as Arena Football, of course.

Only if they have City Pork.

San Diego doesn't get Prime Ticket? I know they get FSN West with the Angels blacked out because of the Padres, but I assumed with Prime Ticket being something of an overflow for FSN West, they'd have both.

All of San Diego County can get Prime Ticket via satellite, but only northern San Diego County can get PT on cable. Since the Inland Empire is part of the Los Angeles market, they have access to all of the L.A./O.C. teams. There's a portion of southwest Riverside County that can get the Angels, Dodgers, and Padres on cable.

Totally random, but the first time I ever saw the Golden State Warriors as a kid, I thought they were some sort of college all-star team that got to play in the league. Then I found out it was a fancy way of saying that they're from California. Then I felt gipped.

Well back to Kings news, it looks like the Anaheim City Council is going to be voting on April 12 whether or not they're going to fund renovations to the Honda Center's locker rooms and a practice facility for the soon to be Anaheim Royals. Renovations needed to bring the facility up to NBA standards. And renovations the move is unlike to proceed without. So April 12 has quickly become a key day for the Sacramento Kings/Anaheim Royals.

If Californians are too smart to subsidize billionaires--and I submit that they're not--then they won't. Samueli can pay for new shower heads himself out of the $100 million failed cannibalization fund.

Archived