Overdone logo crutch

o.m.

And 19 of those have a ball in them. Not much of an improvement.

I wasn't ridding them of the basketball, I was killing off the wordmarks. It's brutal to find even a secondary logo for some teams that does not feature a basketball.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't ridding them of the basketball, I was killing off the wordmarks. It's brutal to find even a secondary logo for some teams that does not feature a basketball.

I love the Warriors logo in the set of "new" NBA logos... That thing is beautiful.

90758391980.gif

I love the Warriors logo in the set of "new" NBA logos... That thing is beautiful.

I agree, too bad it's only used on the waistband of the shorts.

Also, I like the real primary logos much better than the "new" ones nash selected

My pet peeve isn't so much the ball in nearly every logo, it's the wordmark.

Screenshot2011-03-15at51001PM.jpg

EVERY logo has some form of a wordmark.

That's because the NBA wants that

Which completely kills any potential for a good primary logo. Almost every one of these teams has an alternate logo that would do a far better job of symbolizing them.

A few Examples are the New Orleans "Fleur De Bee," The Mavericks logo with just the horse and basketball, The Nugget's Crossed Pickaxes, The Cavaliers Sword and Flag, the Timberwolves Howling Wolf, etc etc.

This aspect of NBA logos annoys me even more than using the basketball motif as a crutch.

Gentlemen, your new NBA:

NBALogos.jpg

Can't tell if your being sarcastic or not but this looks a hell of a lot better to me.

My pet peeve isn't so much the ball in nearly every logo, it's the wordmark.

Screenshot2011-03-15at51001PM.jpg

EVERY logo has some form of a wordmark.

That's because the NBA wants that

Which completely kills any potential for a good primary logo. Almost every one of these teams has an alternate logo that would do a far better job of symbolizing them.

A few Examples are the New Orleans "Fleur De Bee," The Mavericks logo with just the horse and basketball, The Nugget's Crossed Pickaxes, The Cavaliers Sword and Flag, the Timberwolves Howling Wolf, etc etc.

This aspect of NBA logos annoys me even more than using the basketball motif as a crutch.

Gentlemen, your new NBA:

NBALogos.jpg

Can't tell if your being sarcastic or not but this looks a hell of a lot better to me.

No, I'm not. I'd love to see it happen.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

You could have used those logos

3080.gif5gzur7f6x09cv61jt16smhopl.gif795.gif4dabos08gqreuybxd3bu.gifgvc4r743h73yoif2hnvzzbir9.gif

I think that there always should be a good balance between creativity and team identity/traditions. Take the Pistons, for example. Their horse logo and teal jerseys will be always connected with their poor seasons (and Grant Hill perhaps). They won all their championships in blue and red and this is what the fans identify themselves with.

3080.gif5gzur7f6x09cv61jt16smhopl.gif795.gif4dabos08gqreuybxd3bu.gifgvc4r743h73yoif2hnvzzbir9.gif

I think that there always should be a good balance between creativity and team identity/traditions. Take the Pistons, for example. Their horse logo and teal jerseys will be always connected with their poor seasons (and Grant Hill perhaps). They won all their championships in blue and red and this is what the fans identify themselves with.

Yeah I would use those logos instead, the Pistons one isn't in use anymore but I wish it could be brought into the current identity.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Yeah I would use those logos instead, the Pistons one isn't in use anymore but I wish it could be brought into the current identity.

The reason I didn't use those ones: I wanted something that said "Pistons", not just a P. And I had enough circle logos that I figured two more would be a bit overkill. I've heard a lot of negative reaction to the Grizzlies bear logo, so I went with the claw that everyone seems to love. The Buck just kinda looks decapitated. Here's what it looks like with the new logos:

NBALogos2.jpg

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I agree that the buck looks decapitated. This one is much better

ie7jp1w07mlhzwxqgeffn9c8p.gif

I didn't complain about the Clippers logo because their alternate is even more horrible. To me their logo was always Lakers rip-off. Perhaps now with Griffin aboard they could try some rebranding and cash the media attention they are getting.

When it comes to Pistons, on the other hand, I believe that the Bad Boys game the franschise great identity. I'm glad they returned to this design and even though I loved the 90s logos when I was a kid back then, I find those exhaust pipes unnecessary.

NBALogos3.jpg

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Thanks for taking the trouble to update the picture. I think, it looks great now.

I would only have one last suggestion. I agree with you that the "P" doesn't stand so well for the Pistons. I would keep the primary logo as you did for the Clippers and Nets.

Thanks for taking the trouble to update the picture. I think, it looks great now.

I would only have one last suggestion. I agree with you that the "P" doesn't stand so well for the Pistons. I would keep the primary logo as you did for the Clippers and Nets.

But it's just a wordmark over a basketball. It's so BORING! Would the Horse be better, or would it be too similar to the Mavs?

3079.gif445.gif3080.gife451xq79hj1fo4yh642jpbjll.gif

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

But it's just a wordmark over a basketball. It's so BORING! Would the Horse be better, or would it be too similar to the Mavs?

3079.gif445.gif3080.gife451xq79hj1fo4yh642jpbjll.gif

Fourth one is the best because it at least somewhat represents the namesake

Basketballs just work better for design purposes than a plain hockey puck or baseball. They have lines that can be stylized and experimented with.

I have no problem with basketballs in logos.

Now if most NHL teams tried to throw a puck into their logo somehow, or even baseballs in MLB, it just wouldn't work well.

87Redskins.png

So it seems that only Bulls, Rockets, Spurs and Blazers have no basketball in any of their logos. Rockets, however, used it in all of their previous logos. Blazers had once a basketball alternate logo but I wans't aware of it until I checked on the main site.

So it seems that only Bulls, Rockets, Spurs and Blazers have no basketball in any of their logos. Rockets, however, used it in all of their previous logos. Blazers had once a basketball alternate logo but I wans't aware of it until I checked on the main site.

And it's not technically a team logo, but the Bulls center court logo has a basketball behind the Bull.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Looks like the State of Florida got it right. The only palatable logos with basketballs in them are Miami and Orlando.

Some teams just look lazy. Cleveland? "Hey guys! Let's just ram a saber through a ball!"

Take away the basketball and both the Los Angeles teams become essentially nothing but italicized Times New Roman.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I still don't get the uproar about the teams with basketballs in the logos. The league wants to promote the idea of its brand as basketball. Basketballs are great graphic elements with their round shapes and curved lines.

Almost all MLB teams have a baseball in their logos. I don't hear the complaints there, why is it for basketball?

Because basketball uniforms are so minimal compared to other sports', you need a basketball in the primary logo to enhance the brand. The only place you'll find the primary logo is usually as a patch on the shorts. The jerseys contain a different script, and maybe a secondary or tertiary logo on the back. You need the ball in the logo to provide context because it's hardly every shown on the uniform itself, which is where the association would be provided.

Look at other sports...in hockey, the primary is almost always the crest on the jersey, so it's instantly associated as a hockey logo. In football, the primary logo is usually the helmet logo, and its almost always shown on a helmet graphic, reinforcing the fact it's a football team.

Not all baseball teams display the primary logo on the uniforms, and in just about every case, it's a small patch on the sleeve. So when the logo is shown stand-alone, it contains a baseball. Same idea with basketball.

It's all about branding and context.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I agree that the buck looks decapitated. This one is much better

ie7jp1w07mlhzwxqgeffn9c8p.gif

Ugh. I hate that logo. I look at it and see one thing:

2565565140_f2b7c0c258_z.jpg

Don't think that's the association the team was really shooting for.

Thats always been my problem with that logo. If anything, the Bucks should be downplaying the hunting references since the name was chosen because of the athletic nature of the white-tailed deer (which also happens to be the official Wisconsin state wild animal).

Either way, the current iteration of their primary logo... wordmark and all... is the best they've ever had. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up for debate.

Archived