Fort Lauderdale Strikers Crest & Kits Unveiled

fishheatcats

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The combination of the incomplete hoops/stripes and the colors (which may just be a product of the lighting) make it look like something a highway worker would wear to be more visible to drivers.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Like the crest, but can someone explain what this NASL revival is all about? Are they trying to position themselves as a direct rival to MLS, or is it more like a indirect "minor league" of sorts (kinda like how the 2000's basketball ABA came about, but at a tier lower than the NBA)?

Like the crest, but can someone explain what this NASL revival is all about? Are they trying to position themselves as a direct rival to MLS, or is it more like a indirect "minor league" of sorts (kinda like how the 2000's basketball ABA came about, but at a tier lower than the NBA)?

It's a long story, but essentially it boils down to a handful of owners from the old USL-1 who were unhappy with the way that league was run, felt they didn't have a say and so forth, then were displeased when Umbro/Nike sold the league in late 2009, and they broke off and formed their own league. As it happened nobody owned the rights to the NASL name so they bought it. The don't intend to challenge MLS but would instead like to stabilize D2 and work with MLS as part of the overall US pro soccer pyramid.

The Strikers happened because Miami FC was a bad brand from day one, nobody supported them in Miami, then they moved north to Fort Lauderdale for a year and a half and that didn't work(just like the "Miami" Fusion playing in Fort Lauderdale at Lockhart was a disaster and a slap in the face of Strikers fans back in 1998). So they revived the only successful brand in South Florida soccer history, the Strikers. They've already sold upwards of 600 season tickets this season, and that count is from a few weeks back, which is more than all 5 years of Miami FC COMBINED.

What the hell's going on with the left sleeve of that new Strikers shirt?

When the arm is down it's a continuation of the yellow stripe from the chest.

I'm hoping they start a system of promotion and relegation. The MLS loses a lot of credibility in international soccer without it. There are fewer teams, but I see nothing wrong with a 2 team relegation/promotion.

As soon as all NASL and USL clubs start getting 20,000-seat soccer-specific stadiums built, and have a sustainable business model while doing so, then, and only then, will you see the faintest chance of promotion/relegation. The American sporting landscape just isn't set up that way.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm hoping they start a system of promotion and relegation. The MLS loses a lot of credibility in international soccer without it. There are fewer teams, but I see nothing wrong with a 2 team relegation/promotion.

Just my opinion, and I apologize for helping to derail the thread, but anyone who believes that needs to get their head straight and doesn't understand MLS and its current standing in the American sports landscape.

Back on topic, the threading on the left side reminds me a bit of Kappa's old templates, which I loved. Joma's rendition however, I do not. I kind of get what they're trying to do in terms of honoring the team's past, but that doesn't take away from the fact that these still look like rec league team uniforms.

Just my opinion, and I apologize for helping to derail the thread, but anyone who believes that needs to get their head straight and doesn't understand MLS and its current standing in the American sports landscape.

Back on topic, the threading on the left side reminds me a bit of Kappa's old templates, which I loved. Joma's rendition however, I do not. I kind of get what they're trying to do in terms of honoring the team's past, but that doesn't take away from the fact that these still look like rec league team uniforms.

100000% agree. If you are waiting for relegation you will be waiting a long time. Not Gonna Happen. Owners will never agree to it, and it is about time the relegation pipe dream ends.

As it relates to the strikers jersey - I would scrap the strikers wordmark from the front and enlarge the hardrock sponsor.

I'm actually curious to keep my eye on the new NASL. One of their first games is an exhibition here in Chicago against the MLS Chicago Fire. You better believe if the NASL starts putting out quality soccer, MLS will try to assimilate them. NASL has markets in areas that MLS would like to have: Minnesota, Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Montreal, Charlotte, Edmonton, and San Antonio. They'd fit perfectly into Major League Soccer's expansion plans, and now MLS can see how those markets handle soccer without having to foot the bill to test the waters. In 3-5 years either several of these teams move to MLS, or MLS buys out the NASL, turning it into one big league.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Since fishheatcats has a huge inferiority complex with Tampa I thought I would post their new kits for this season.

home-jersey.jpgaway-jersey.jpg

The Strikers must have really fancied the hoops FC Tampa had last year to incorporate them so boldly in their own look. ^_^

Edit: Maybe we can use this topic like the MLS one and get all of the NASL kits posted.

But yes, that does affect the league's credibility in many eyes. Including mine.

I know this is furthering the derailment of the thread, but may I ask why? Different parts of the world have different set-ups for how their leagues work for various reasons. Is not having relegation that different than say how Mexico and some South American countries have apertura and clausura seasons? That too is a different set-up than they have in Europe? Maybe this is me being a hockey fan first, but I've always seen promotion/relegation less of a "soccer" thing and more of a European and European influenced thing. For MLS to that system (and this is ignoring the finical and mechanical impossibilities for it) screams of more of a trying to be something your not much like adopting the names of famous European clubs (which I think is an awful practice going on in MLS). That to me is more a credibility loss.

There is something to be said in adding your own local touches to an international game. League set-up is one of the ways you can add that local flavor.

I'm actually curious to keep my eye on the new NASL. One of their first games is an exhibition here in Chicago against the MLS Chicago Fire. You better believe if the NASL starts putting out quality soccer, MLS will try to assimilate them. NASL has markets in areas that MLS would like to have: Minnesota, Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Montreal, Charlotte, Edmonton, and San Antonio. They'd fit perfectly into Major League Soccer's expansion plans, and now MLS can see how those markets handle soccer without having to foot the bill to test the waters. In 3-5 years either several of these teams move to MLS, or MLS buys out the NASL, turning it into one big league.

Well this is already happening to an extent. MLS has already plucked Vancouver and Portland from what was division 2, and Montreal is being added next year.

As for the logo, I like it. The kit comes off as being loud and very South Floridaish. So a good tough there.

Well this is already happening to an extent. MLS has already plucked Vancouver and Portland from what was division 2, and Montreal is being added next year.

It just makes sense. You have to think a league like MLS, which has the most money/attention of the American soccer leagues, would want to A - bring in more markets, B - not let the NASL get bigger than it is (which is unlikely, but NASL is still a competitor to a degree). The other thing I'm curious about is, what if MLS was able to acquire the MISL teams, turning them into outdoor soccer teams. Milwaukee previously had interest in an MLS team, and the Wave could facilitate that.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The Strikers must have really fancied the hoops FC Tampa had last year to incorporate them so boldly in their own look. ^_^

Or maybe the "Rowdies" fancied the hoops the Strikers wore 30 years ago and incorporated them into their look last year...

I actually really like the new Tampa shirts. The blue is a little weird but it's good as a clash set, and it could be viewed a s a tribute to the Mutiny. The home shirts are great, classic Rowdies look. Wish they would have kept the white version from last season too. They need to get the Rowdies trademark back from those clowns in Texas so they can use the name on the jerseys.

Can't wait for May 14, July 4, August 27 and September 24. Strikers-Rowdies is the best pro sports rivalry ever in Florida in my opinion. And that's just from my one season experience of psuedo-Strikers/Rowdies: last year with Miami FC vs. FCTB. Dolphins-Bucs, Dolphins-Jags, Marlins-Rays, Heat-Magic and Panthers-Lightning mean absolutely nothing to me. But I hate FCTB.

Or maybe the "Rowdies" fancied the hoops the Strikers wore 30 years ago and incorporated them into their look last year...

I actually really like the new Tampa shirts. The blue is a little weird but it's good as a clash set, and it could be viewed a s a tribute to the Mutiny. The home shirts are great, classic Rowdies look. Wish they would have kept the white version from last season too. They need to get the Rowdies trademark back from those clowns in Texas so they can use the name on the jerseys.

Can't wait for May 14, July 4, August 27 and September 24. Strikers-Rowdies is the best pro sports rivalry ever in Florida in my opinion. And that's just from my one season experience of psuedo-Strikers/Rowdies: last year with Miami FC vs. FCTB. Dolphins-Bucs, Dolphins-Jags, Marlins-Rays, Heat-Magic and Panthers-Lightning mean absolutely nothing to me. But I hate FCTB.

Heat-Magic means a lot more to most people in Florida considering they're both top-tier NBA teams...and when it comes to sports rivalries in general, nothing in the state tops the Hurricanes-Gators-Seminoles hate triangle.

spacer.png

I'm a bit disappointed that FCTB went away from the awesome green/yellow hoops from last year, but I'm glad they got rid of the whites with the stupid yellow splotch on the back. I do like the idea of the double-blue hoops; I'm curious to see what they look like on fabric. I'm pretty sure Tampa's the only green team in the league, so they won't likely wear them that often. In fact, this league seems to have relatively few clashes; if I'm not mistaken, these are the preferred color schemes:

Atlanta: red shirts, black shorts (at least, I think that's what they used to use)

Carolina: all-orange

Edmonton: blue shirt w/white sleeves, blue shorts

Ft. Lauderdale: red/yellow hoops, black shorts

Minnesota: all-navy

Montreal: all-white

Puerto Rico: all orange (though at one point they went orange/white stripes)

Tampa: green shirts (yellow stripes on sleeves), white shorts

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived