Pensacola Blue Wahoos

Burmy

OK, let me point out a few things:

They can't be the Red Wings (AAA Rochester) or the Snappers (A Beloit)...so "Red Snappers" is a distinguishing enough mark.

Of course they can be the Snappers. Beloit references turtles. And nobody in Pensacola is going to care about the Midwest League anyway.

Also, the Mudcats are indeed migrating south.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what Southern League club is moving to Pensacola? Please tell me it's not the Reds current AA affiliate, the Carolina Mudcats.

And I'm almost positive they'll end up with a name that has something to do with the Navy, but I really hope that doesn't happen.

Pensacola Panhandlers?....But really just going with Reds but using a red snapper for the logo would work nicely.

Current Double A Mudcats are moving to Pensacola, with Single A Kinston Indians relocating to Zebulon, NC to become the new Mudcats. It was mainly a business decision since Carolina was out of the way in the Southern League but becomes more travel friendly in the Carolina League.

So what Southern League club is moving to Pensacola? Please tell me it's not the Reds current AA affiliate, the Carolina Mudcats.

And I'm almost positive they'll end up with a name that has something to do with the Navy, but I really hope that doesn't happen.

Pensacola Panhandlers?....But really just going with Reds but using a red snapper for the logo would work nicely.

Current Double A Mudcats are moving to Pensacola, with Single A Kinston Indians relocating to Zebulon, NC to become the new Mudcats. It was mainly a business decision since Carolina was out of the way in the Southern League but becomes more travel friendly in the Carolina League.

Really hate hearing that. The Mudcats have been a mainstay in the Southern League for over 20 years now. They're one of the teams that I grew up watching come in town to play the Suns. Bummer.

FSU2.gif

There's an old Led Zeppelin tour myth about seeing how a redheaded girl would like a fish in a certain place wherein the fish and the certain place have the same name. That's still the first thing that comes to mind when I think of red snappers. Such is my aversion to naming a team that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 1 month later...

And they've announced the Final 6.

These choices (and my thoughts):

• Pensacola Aviators (I saw that name before for a team that never got off the ground-still, I have to consider it a favorite)
  • Pensacola Blue Wahoos (Love the wacky name & the imagery to follow-but I don't think they'd name a Reds affiliate after the mascot of their Ohio interleague rivals.)
  • Pensacola Loggerheads (I LOVE TURTLES...but the three-syllable name might not be easy to remember)
  • Pensacola Mullets (The fish I don't see as a minor-league mascot...the haircut, YOU BETCHA!)
  • Pensacola Redbones (Named after the dog...but I hope the guitarist gets involved somehow)
  • Pensacola Salty Dogs (Love nautical imagery...but we already have fellow AA team the Portland Sea Dogs and American Association team the Lincoln Saltdogs)

Out of all these things, I'd have to go with Mullets or Redbones (bonus points if it's the haircut or the guitarist)

bYhYmxh.png

"Redbones" sounds the best and incorporates the parent team. Easy choice. "Salty Dogs"?

Please let them do a Mr. Redlegs with Panama hat, dark sunglasses, and bow tie :blues:

bYhYmxh.png

I guarantee the name will either be Aviators or Mullets. I know how my hometown works. (And that ain't necessarily a good thing, either.)

Gut guesstimate is Aviators. Either way, as I previously hypothesized, the name would have to do with either flight or fish.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Aviators is the best of those choices, IMO. Don't really like any of the others, though Redbones isn't terrible.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

A mullet (fish) with a mullet (hair style) would make an excellent minor league logo that would sell a lot of merchandise

And guess my entry of Pensacola Pilots didn't make the cut.

Once I explain to you that one of Pensacola's nicknames is "Redneck Riviera", and that some in the city get genuinely annoyed by that, you might see how that miiiggghht not be the best move to make. :P

(There it is again..."Red"necks. *facepalm*)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

It was actually originally just for the Flora-Bama junction out on Perdido Key/Orange Beach--and if you've been down there, you know why. Being that P'cola (as we natives call it) is the nearest "major city", it became another nickname by default. That, and "Red Snapper Capital of the World". I was kinda hoping they would lean in the direction of "Snappers"...but once again, they go the predictable route.

If it ends up being "Aviators", I'd sho' love to see what kind of identity package they come up with, especially if they intend to still use red as the primary color. For whatever reason I feel as if it may turn out looking like something out of the Soviet Army or something.

(Jason? Casey? Y'all out there? HELP!!!!!)

If it's anything like the last Pensacola based team contest (see Pensacola Ice Flyers logo vote) they'll go with the least popular choice in the public poll.

Exactly my point...and normally, its also the stupidest one--in this case, Mullets.

*facepalm x2*

It was actually originally just for the Flora-Bama junction out on Perdido Key/Orange Beach--and if you've been down there, you know why. Being that P'cola (as we natives call it) is the nearest "major city", it became another nickname by default.

Ahh, the Flora-Bama Mullet Toss... That needs to be enshrined as a minor league team for sure. Let's be honest, after the Blue Angels it's pretty much the biggest deal in West Florida. I would have liked to submit the following:

Pensacola Waffle Houses (almost two dozen in town, including two sets that include two WHs within sight of each other)

Pensacola I-110 Construction Workers (They're basically an institution down there)

Pensacola Speedin' Ensigns (the lowest rank of Naval Officer, frequently found careening through townin sports cars at insane speeds)

Pensacola Revival (Lots of Mega-Churches down there)

That being said, Redbones is ok, I guess. Salty Dogs is pretty rad, especially if the logo set includes a salty, tatooed up, cursing, chain-smoking sailor and not an actual dog... I agree that anything with "Wahoo" on it is probably a non-starter, and Loggerheads is too hard to say.

Grunge-Logos.png

Archived