Do people is the Toronto area care about the Blues Jays

bigbean24

Oh god, what have I done by inserting a jab at Johns Hopkins?

To help this thread go back on course, I think the Blue Jays overall have a wide fanbase with all of Canada at its disposal. They do decently, I think, I mean not exactly piling in fans but getting the job done in terms of making money I'm sure.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh god, what have I done by inserting a jab at Johns Hopkins?

To help this thread go back on course, I think the Blue Jays overall have a wide fanbase with all of Canada at its disposal. They do decently, I think, I mean not exactly piling in fans but getting the job done in terms of making money I'm sure.

Not that money is an issue. I think Rogers has enough money.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The Johns Hopkins Blue Jays? Probably not, box lacrosse is more their thing up in Canada

I dont think people in Baltimore care about the Blue Jays either.

Ehhhhhh!(That was a buzzer sounding). They do care. Anne Arundel County (Baltimore area) is the lacrosse capital of the world ( I'm not joking or over exaggerating). Everyone is all like "Hey, man. Are you going to the Faceoff Classic? It's gonna be SICK!" and I'm like "No, I don't find amusement in almost-grown men hitting each other with sticks and trying to get the ball into the reasonably large net, which takes very little strategy and intelligence. I wouldn't be this pissed unless I didn't here a "baseball is just hitting a goddamn ball with a stick" nonsense every day. It's a lot more than that, it takes knowing the count and whether or not to be passive, (3-0 count), agressive (1-2 count), or looking for a good pitch to hit (2-1 count), and then reading the pitch perfectly, timing it spot on, and getting perfect trajectory, bat speed, and level of the swing to propel the ball a long distance. As in lacrosse you just whip the stick around and get it passed a goalie (which is far easier than shooting a 3 or kicking a goal in soccer).

/lengthly rant

You are high and ignorant.

Have you ever even tried it?

As someone who has played all of the sports you referenced (and even lacrosse in a place that is far from a lax hot bed in SoCal), you are incredibly wrong. You don't know how many idiot football/baseball players I've seen call lacrosse a dumb/ :censored: sport then go out and pick up a stick and legitimately try to play and look stupider doing it. There is technique in cradling the ball, in passing, in shooting. There is strategy in the field (extremely similar to basketball and hockey in sense of strategy). Defensive rotations, defensive structure, offensive structure/rotation, Man-up, man-down, faceoffs, etc, etc, etc.

It's 1000x harder than just going out there to "whip the stick around and get it passed [sic] a goalie."

Yes, at first try it is difficult. But so is catching a pop up or hitting a fastball. And those things take many years to master, as in lacrosse a year or so of practice will allow you to be able to cradle and hit the corners of the net on your shot.

I really don't want to bring up the argument, but you actually think a pop up takes skill to catch? A :censored: five year old can do that playing T-ball!

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

The Johns Hopkins Blue Jays? Probably not, box lacrosse is more their thing up in Canada

I dont think people in Baltimore care about the Blue Jays either.

Ehhhhhh!(That was a buzzer sounding). They do care. Anne Arundel County (Baltimore area) is the lacrosse capital of the world ( I'm not joking or over exaggerating). Everyone is all like "Hey, man. Are you going to the Faceoff Classic? It's gonna be SICK!" and I'm like "No, I don't find amusement in almost-grown men hitting each other with sticks and trying to get the ball into the reasonably large net, which takes very little strategy and intelligence. I wouldn't be this pissed unless I didn't here a "baseball is just hitting a goddamn ball with a stick" nonsense every day. It's a lot more than that, it takes knowing the count and whether or not to be passive, (3-0 count), agressive (1-2 count), or looking for a good pitch to hit (2-1 count), and then reading the pitch perfectly, timing it spot on, and getting perfect trajectory, bat speed, and level of the swing to propel the ball a long distance. As in lacrosse you just whip the stick around and get it passed a goalie (which is far easier than shooting a 3 or kicking a goal in soccer).

/lengthly rant

You are high and ignorant.

Have you ever even tried it?

As someone who has played all of the sports you referenced (and even lacrosse in a place that is far from a lax hot bed in SoCal), you are incredibly wrong. You don't know how many idiot football/baseball players I've seen call lacrosse a dumb/ :censored: sport then go out and pick up a stick and legitimately try to play and look stupider doing it. There is technique in cradling the ball, in passing, in shooting. There is strategy in the field (extremely similar to basketball and hockey in sense of strategy). Defensive rotations, defensive structure, offensive structure/rotation, Man-up, man-down, faceoffs, etc, etc, etc.

It's 1000x harder than just going out there to "whip the stick around and get it passed [sic] a goalie."

Yes, at first try it is difficult. But so is catching a pop up or hitting a fastball. And those things take many years to master, as in lacrosse a year or so of practice will allow you to be able to cradle and hit the corners of the net on your shot.

I really don't want to bring up the argument, but you actually think a pop up takes skill to catch? A :censored: five year old can do that playing T-ball!

As much as I love baseball, Friarcanuck is right. Hell, my dog can catch a pop up. LaCrosse is one of the most physically demanding sports I have ever played (when I say I played it, I mean a pick up game with my friends in high school who were on the LaCrosse team) and shooting the ball at the net is a lot harder than it looks. My shots always ended up soaring over the net.

jNTsTyQ.png

No, of course it's not hard when you factor in the mind, spin, back or front; try catching a fly ball with an awkward front spin, then positioning yourself under the ball having to deal with burning sun during afternoon games, or lights during evening games. And then you gotta catch the ball, it tends to have its own mind when it comes down. Of course it's not hard! :rolleyes::cursing:

But enough of that, time to get back on topic. No, the Blue Jays do not attract a huge crowd considering most Canadians are more winter sport people, but I wouldn't say no one "cares about them." There are a few of them out there, right? :P

25yzwqg.png

The Blue Jays were a strong draw until only the last few years when everyone realized the team was a perennial exercise in futility and the SkyDome is basically Tropicana Field with people having sex in the window.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No, of course it's not hard when you factor in the mind, spin, back or front; try catching a fly ball with an awkward front spin, then positioning yourself under the ball having to deal with burning sun during afternoon games, or lights during evening games. And then you gotta catch the ball, it tends to have its own mind when it comes down. Of course it's not hard! :rolleyes::cursing:

All of that can be applied to shooting a LaCrosse ball at the net. Not to mention, the position of the goalie, having to shoot through defenders, screens being applied to the net and so forth. If you're gonna included all the little details that make one thing hard, you have to include those for the other subject at hand as well.

jNTsTyQ.png

All of that can be applied to shooting a LaCrosse ball at the net. Not to mention, the position of the goalie, having to shoot through defenders, screens being applied to the net and so forth. If you're gonna included all the little details that make one thing hard, you have to include those for the other subject at hand as well.

Okay. This could go on and on and on, so I'm going to stop here even though I have a few other comebacks up my sleeve. ^_^

25yzwqg.png

Too add to the actual topic, Blue Jays are second only to the Leafs in Toronto. Being from another city and living here for six years, the media puts pro sports in order of importance as:

1, 2 and 3 Maple Leafs

4 Blue Jays

5 Raptors

6 FC

7 Argos

8 Rock

9 Marlies

10 I'd add an OHL here, but the Majors left, because their ownership wouldn't play nice with the Leafs.

5, 6 and 7 changes depending on winning and time of season.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Too add to the actual topic, Blue Jays are second only to the Leafs in Toronto. Being from another city and living here for six years, the media puts pro sports in order of importance as:

1, 2 and 3 Maple Leafs

4 Blue Jays

5 Raptors

6 FC

7 Argos

8 Rock

9 Marlies

10 I'd add an OHL here, but the Majors left, because their ownership wouldn't play nice with the Leafs.

That's interesting. The curling team doesn't count? ;)

25yzwqg.png

The Blue Jays were a strong draw until only the last few years when everyone realized the team was a perennial exercise in futility and the SkyDome is basically Tropicana Field with people having sex in the window.

Ooo, I got the video of that too...on glorious VHS....

tigercatssignature-1.png

1, 2 and 3 Maple Leafs

4 Blue Jays

5 Raptors

6 FC

7 Argos

8 Rock

9 Marlies

The Argos do get better attendance than <gag> FC, and significantly better ratings than Raptors and Blue Jays (though there was one Blue Jays game last year that actually bettered the Argos for one week...). You of course can interpret this anyway you want...

tigercatssignature-1.png

1, 2 and 3 Maple Leafs

4 Blue Jays

5 Raptors

6 FC

7 Argos

8 Rock

9 Marlies

Interestingly enough, curling is the third highest rated sport property on TSN after hockey and CFL, and outdraws both the NBA and MLB nationally in Canada.

Ooo that reminded me, the Canada/Scotland page playoff game is on now.... :flagcanada:

tigercatssignature-1.png

1, 2 and 3 Maple Leafs

4 Blue Jays

5 Raptors

6 FC

7 Argos

8 Rock

9 Marlies

Interestingly enough, curling is the third highest rated sport property on TSN after hockey and CFL, and outdraws both the NBA and MLB nationally in Canada.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. During the 2010 Olympics, when I actually watched and learned to understand curling, I realized how much better Canada's team was than everyone else's. The crowd was always 20x louder than any other country (partially because it was in Vancouver, though).

25yzwqg.png

Doesn't surprise me one bit. During the 2010 Olympics, when I actually watched and learned to understand curling, I realized how much better Canada's team was than everyone else's. The crowd was always 20x louder than any other country (partially because it was in Vancouver, though).

The crowd noise was a bit of an aberration for Vancouver, the round robin games were filled mostly by casual fans, who I think were just happy getting a ticket to an event. For hardcore fans, the atmosphere is more like a golf tournament, hushed for the shots and only cheer for a great shot. You know, considering how much curling is a skill and strategy game, I'm surprised by how big the ratings are...

:oops:

...but I'm sure more people in Toronto care about the Blue Jays... :D

tigercatssignature-1.png

1, 2 and 3 Maple Leafs

4 Blue Jays

5 Raptors

6 FC

7 Argos

8 Rock

9 Marlies

The Argos do get better attendance than <gag> FC, and significantly better ratings than Raptors and Blue Jays (though there was one Blue Jays game last year that actually bettered the Argos for one week...). You of course can interpret this anyway you want...

In all fairness, the Argos have the opportunity to have more people at the games than TFC.

Also, the marketing muscle of TSN is much stronger then that of Sportsnet. I think that explains the Argos recent rise to more prominence in the recent years. Not that I'm complaining.

I think the Sportsnet/Rogers has kinda of hurt the Jays by not letting any other network broadcast any of their games.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1, 2 and 3 Maple Leafs

4 Blue Jays

5 Raptors

6 FC

7 Argos

8 Rock

9 Marlies

I shall... the Argos play one game a week and are always facing another Canadian team - the fans of that other Canadian team is where the ratings come from; it's clear to any Toronto sports fan that the Argos are an afterthought in this city, seen as a minor league team in a major league city. The Argos are about on par with the Rock in terms of media coverage and fans.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived