Chicago White Sox Uniform Question...

Old School Fool

So I was looking at the White Sox uniforms, and I noticed that the graphic for 1990 shows they wore their old red/blue script style uniforms AND wore the then new black uniforms. Can anyone explain this to me? I've heard of teams unveiling new logos during the season, but did the White Sox actually do this or what, I'm confused, argh. :wacko:

al_1990_chicago.gif

bSLCtu2.png

Just to piggyback what Goth and Smoothie said, 1990 was the final year of old Comiskey so the last week of the year the Sox unveiled that set and announced they would be wearing it at Boston and the last home stand for the year. ESPN did one of the night games at Boston and talked at length about the new set. They debated for innings whether or not it was navy or black since the previous sets had navy. Then for the last game at Comiskey when they wore the pinstripes the debate was brought up again. It may be on youtube somewhere.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

The new uniforms (at least the homes) were known about well before they made their early on-field debut in September '90. I went to a game at Comiskey that summer, and had a game program that showed Carlton Fisk modeling the new black pinstripes.

Also, odd that Okkonen's illustration of the "old" Sox unis omits the pants numbers. Did they drop them that season? Regardless, had those front numbers been on the jersey instead of the pants, that 87-90 set could have been pretty splendid.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I remember this and I believe you are right. They swapped out right at the end of the season for some random reason.

Probobly to cash in and sell more gear during the Christmas holiday that year. Whenever there is a strange move like this, 99% of the time its dollars and cents driven.

I remember this and I believe you are right. They swapped out right at the end of the season for some random reason.

Probobly to cash in and sell more gear during the Christmas holiday that year. Whenever there is a strange move like this, 99% of the time its dollars and cents driven.

Which is why teams unveil new looks in November today. They don't need to wear them during the season, and by Christmas the "new shiny" factor had long since worn off.

The White Sox unveiled this throwback look at the end of the season as a tribute to their old ballpark before they moved. Don't forget that they had invented the "turn back the clock" concept.

All I know is this is the best set they've ever had

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The curly C should come back recolored as a batting practice hat or something.

I'm really not a fan of teams having more than one game cap, especially if the logos are different, but I think I'd be OK if the curly C became the home cap, with the SOX being used on the road, so both the city and nickname are represented on both sets. Also, bring back the diamond-sock patch. That thing is great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The new uniforms (at least the homes) were known about well before they made their early on-field debut in September '90. I went to a game at Comiskey that summer, and had a game program that showed Carlton Fisk modeling the new black pinstripes.

Also, odd that Okkonen's illustration of the "old" Sox unis omits the pants numbers. Did they drop them that season? Regardless, had those front numbers been on the jersey instead of the pants, that 87-90 set could have been pretty splendid.

If I'm remembering correctly the pants leg numbers were dropped for 1989. At least it's listed that way by Okkonen, plus I believe it was mentioned in Uniwatch's interview with the guy who designed the striped uniforms.

I'm really not a fan of teams having more than one game cap, especially if the logos are different, but I think I'd be OK if the curly C became the home cap, with the SOX being used on the road, so both the city and nickname are represented on both sets. Also, bring back the diamond-sock patch. That thing is great.

It's still on their black alternate jerseys.

040111-MLB-Chicago-White-Sox-Adam-Dunn-PI_20110401230641895_660_320.JPG

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I don't understand why they had to put the SOX logo on the greys. Seems kind of silly to hang on to a uniform from 1991 (well, 1990, even) and at this stage of the game decide to make one tweak, and a downgrade at that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

al_1990_chicago.gif

I just realized that the uniform on the left isn't on the mothership, but the ones before and after it chronologically are.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I don't understand why they had to put the SOX logo on the greys. Seems kind of silly to hang on to a uniform from 1991 (well, 1990, even) and at this stage of the game decide to make one tweak, and a downgrade at that.

Agreed. I guess it's because it was the only jersey without it, but that doesn't make it any less of a downgrade. If people can't figure out what a white sock sleeve patch stands for after 20 years, I'm not sure rebranding it this way will help. I think that logo is great for hats and as a primary on jerseys, but as a sleeve patch I think it looks terrible.

I remember the first time I saw that Sox cap that offseason and thought "what a great throwback." As more and more popped up, I realized it was no throwback.

It's still on their black alternate jerseys.

040111-MLB-Chicago-White-Sox-Adam-Dunn-PI_20110401230641895_660_320.JPG

It's also still on their home pinstripes, but they haven't been home to wear them yet.

Archived