Washington State Rebranding

Trident M

From WSUCougars.com:

PULLMAN, Wash. - Washington State University Director of Athletics Bill Moos will introduce a department-wide brand and identity program Monday, April 11 at 7 p.m. at the Davenport Hotel in Spokane, Wash.

Since becoming athletic director in March, 2010, Moos has been focused on a consistent look for Cougar Athletics. Upon his hiring, and dating back to his days as a WSU student-athlete and later an associate athletic director, Moos has seen multiple colors, fonts and styles used to brand Washington State and its student-athletes, most notably on team uniforms.

"One of my priorities when I became athletic director was to have a recognizable look across our department and athletic programs," said Moos. "We have what I and many believe to be the best logo in college athletics, yet we have not had the consistent look on our apparel or throughout our facilities that allows instant recognition for that brand.

During the unveiling, student-athletes from football, men's and women's basketball, volleyball and baseball will model new uniforms for the 2011-12 year. The uniforms will incorporate new crimson and gray colors along with new lettering and numerals that will be identical across each uniform. A brand and identity standards manual also will be presented that provides guidelines for the appropriate use of logos.

In addition to providing Cougar teams with a consistent appearance, Cougar student-athletes will benefit from the continued innovation and unique performance advantages that the partnerships with Nike will deliver.

"I believe our new look is consistent with my theme for Cougar Athletics, which is, honor the past, live the present, create the future." said Moos. "We live by that motto and I believe this brand and identity effort with Nike will make Cougars of all generations extremely proud."

This should be interesting. Rumor has it that the Cougars are moving to a dark gray instead of the light gray/silver they've currently been using on most of their uniforms. That would be a big change.

I'm also interested to see what font they come up with, since the numbers will be standard across all the uniforms. I'm not a fan of the style of numbers Nike gave Oregon State and Washington, but I do like what they did for Iowa State and Michigan State. Hopefully we just get a modified block... something like what the Arizona Cardinals have.

From what I hear the main logo (the WSU Coug head) and the secondary logo (the 'Cougars' script) won't be changing, so this really has more to do with standardizing colors and fonts. Although I'm sure we will see a new wordmark.

Mariners | Sounders FC | Seahawks | Washington State

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This, I gotta see.

Thankfully they're not touching the primary WSC logo--I love the ingenuity of that thing, though I wouldn't be against a modest "touch-up" of it. The script "Cougars" I'm indifferent on...but this maroon(?) and what sounds like storm gray has the potential to be a big hit.

That said, it also appears they've worked with Nike on this, so who knows. That rumored "dark gray" could be carbon or anthracite for all we know (which, to be perfectly honest, might actually look pretty good with Wazzou's maroon/crimson/whatever it is). Either way, I've always kinda liked Washington State's look(s), so hopefully this comes out good.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This, I gotta see.

Thankfully they're not touching the primary WSC logo--I love the ingenuity of that thing, though I wouldn't be against a modest "touch-up" of it.

Currently it's a "WSU" cougar head. When the school was known as Washington State College, the design was truly a "WSC" logo...the C was far more pronounced. When the school changed names, the logo was altered to form a U.

I hope this change is good. I like the WSU logo, but I really like the Cougars script more. I think the 1991-1997 fooball uniforms (with crimson pants) were best ever. The school's colors are crimson and gray, so I guess Nike may take liberty which exactly which shade of gray will be used. Hopefully they get a good font.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

WSC = typo on my part. My bad.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Wow, it's about time. They desperately need a rebrand.

Except it won't be a full rebrand. The two most common WSU logos aren't going anywhere. And I really don't know why they "desperately" need a rebrand...

I don't, either. I actually rather liked what they had last season.

I will admit, though, I'm a bit nervous over what this new "font" will end up looking like. As long as we don't get another Michigan State out of this, it should be good to hook...hopefully.

I will admit, though, I'm a bit nervous over what this new "font" will end up looking like. As long as we don't get another Michigan State out of this, it should be good to hook...hopefully.

I agree. Nike + new fonts = risky hit or miss.

Bill Moos' ties to Nike (via Oregon) could produce something awesome, or some over-the-top Nike disaster.

I agree. Nike + new fonts = risky hit or miss.

Bill Moos' ties to Nike (via Oregon) could produce something awesome, or some over-the-top Nike disaster.

This is the same thing I'm worried about... although I'm one of the few people who actually liked the Michigan State rebranding.

The football team has seen the new design. The only thing going around is that the new gray is darker, but is NOT extremely dark or charcoal.

I also don't get all the Coug head haters. It isn't just some product of the '70s - it's been around in some form for since 1936 and it is an absolutely huge part of the Cougar community. I guess some people just don't get it.

Mariners | Sounders FC | Seahawks | Washington State

Glad to see the Pac-12 getting a face lift with new teams and some brand/uniform revisions...excited to see how the Cougs turn out as well.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Keeping the "WSU" cougar head logo is the smart thing to do since it's very recognizable. I'm glad they're rebranding to make everything consistent from sport to sport. More schools should look into doing this.

If things keep going the way they are, I believe that might well happen. That's one trend I definitely wouldn't mind seeing.

Keeping the "WSU" cougar head logo is the smart thing to do since it's very recognizable. I'm glad they're rebranding to make everything consistent from sport to sport. More schools should look into doing this.

If things keep going the way they are, I believe that might well happen. That's one trend I definitely wouldn't mind seeing.

Agreed. My alma mater, Nicholls State, did this a few years back. They now have one athletics identity that is cohesive across the board.

gYH2mW9.png

Ummm today is April 11th,what time are they releasing them?

Since "Hooked on Phonics" didn't work for you, let me repeat it...

PULLMAN, Wash. - Washington State University Director of Athletics Bill Moos will introduce a department-wide brand and identity program Monday, April 11 at 7 p.m. at the Davenport Hotel in Spokane, Wash.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived