Washington State Rebranding

Trident M

And as someone who has staunchly defended Oregon's sports uniforms forever, it is kinda vindicating to see these teams in our own conference roll out with these copycat schemes. Don't get me wrong, each of these are very unique designs and clearly unique to the school wearing them. But the elements in each of them are all things that Oregon did first in the conference. Matte helmets? Oregon did it first. Matte pants? Oregon did it first. Black alternates? Oregon did it first. Anthracite? Grey on grey helmet? Oregon first. Ditching a cartoon logo for a streamlined modern "icon"? Oregon again.

Oregon invented the piano key necktie! THEY INVENTED IT!!!

Mariners | Sounders FC | Seahawks | Washington State

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad they didn't go with black.

I love this quote from WSU AD Bill Moos. From The Olympian:

?Our athletes wanted black (for the alternative football uniforms),? Moos said. ?I said, ?We?re not quite good enough to wear black yet, OK? We?re going to be.? ?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

?Our athletes wanted black (for the alternative football uniforms),? Moos said. ?I said, ?We?re not quite good enough to wear black yet, OK? We?re going to be.? ?

you make fun but i think thats a great example of color perception and meaning. he, and many others, view black as a color of elite status.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

you make fun but i think thats a great example of color perception and meaning. he, and many others, view black as a color of elite status.

care to give any non new zealand related examples?

Which is a stupid view to have, considering that there's nothing stopping a non-elite team from wearing black. For example, USC basketball has black alternates.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I completely disagree from most team's rationale for black alts, but I feel like often times schools have a sense that they have to "earn" the right to wear the black. If you're not good enough, then you've got to work harder to show you're worthy of the special uniform.

I completely disagree from most team's rationale for black alts, but I feel like often times schools have a sense that they have to "earn" the right to wear the black. If you're not good enough, then you've got to work harder to show you're worthy of the special uniform.

Once again, there is nothing "elite" about black alts. That's nothing but marketing BS.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Once again, there is nothing "elite" about black alts. That's nothing but marketing BS.

It really is just a way for schools to sell more merchandise, have "blackout" games, and sell black jerseys. There's really nothing elite about a fashion trend that started in 2005.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I know, and I completely agree. The problem is the kids have bought into it.

I do know that at Georgia after our mediocrity as of late, we've made a point to stick to only our standard jerseys and we'd have to earn the right to wear black again.

It really is just a way for schools to sell more merchandise, have "blackout" games, and sell black jerseys. There's really nothing elite about a fashion trend that started in 2005.

Thus why I'm glad that UA basketball went in the opposite direction and did a white-out this year. No gaudy BFBS uniforms necessary and McKale was IN-:censored:ING-SANE.

I know, and I completely agree. The problem is the kids have bought into it.

I do know that at Georgia after our mediocrity as of late, we've made a point to stick to only our standard jerseys and we'd have to earn the right to wear black again.

Well, that's also because (no offense) Georgia looks terrible wearing black. I'm glad you guys only wore the black helmet/pants once and the black jersey needs to be ditched. Red/red/gray and red/white/gray is a fantastic combination.

215277_10150568702620721_57460905720_18043825_2409285_n.jpg

216518_10150568702685721_57460905720_18043826_1819433_n.jpg

If they made the shoulder stripes red, this whole set would been pretty solid (except for that weird grey-grey-anthracite combo.). Not bad, WSU. Not bad at all.

Eh, TCU has had a black alt since 1998, but has never had a "blackout" or sold black jerseys that I know of. Doesn't make it better; just pointing that out.

Until this thread, I have never heard that mentioned as a rationale for BFBS.

As a WSU alum I was very interested to see what the new brand for the Cougs would entail. I love the idea of a common brand across the athletic department and the emphasis on a consistent crimson and gray as a focus of the campaign. That being said, I was disappointed to see a multitude of grays used in the football uniforms in kind of a "gray for gray's sake" (GFGS) move. I'll go into more detail in another post if anyone cares to read, but I wanted to address a couple of other related topics.

I was very disappointed Bill Moos would make a comment about "not being good enough to wear black," for two reasons:

1. As the head of the athletic department, shouldn't unequivocal support for your institution be part of the job description? I don't expect him to say "WSU is the best in the world," but there's no need for him to publicly denounce any of the school's athletic programs as "not good enough."

2. When was black deemed the color of the elite? I understand its appeal as a marketing tool and apparently as a draw for recruits, but it's not exclusive to any level of performance. The list of schools that have used black alternates is lengthy and not necessarily reserved for the distinguished programs.

StuckeyDuck, you are completely correct that Nike's product is driven by athlete preference. That being said, I don't think Nike (or the athletic department) necessarily seeks the opinions of student-athletes majoring in apparel design or who have the best fashion sense on the team. My gripe (that will likely remain unresolved until the end of time) is that what attracts an average 20 year-old is based on fads and trends as opposed to what will withstand the test of time. If institutions are truly trying to develop a "brand identity," wouldn't it make sense to develop something that will be consistent for longer than three years? (Unless your brand is "what's hot, right now" which Oregon's is.)

I know my opinion's not "right," but it's definitely mine. :) I'd love to continue this discussion.

Go Cougs.

but this isnt that ground breaking..theyve changed their uni's a few times the last decade but no one ever notices...which i find strange because they are ranked around 37 last year in apparel sales on the CLC.

they must admit a ton of students for that to happen ?

Archived