2011 NHL Playoffs

NEW.ERA

The only thing I could see people getting angry about with the Canucks is Luongos hype machine. Everyone wondered and talked about how great he would be once he got away from Florida and he's really not that great. Same thing with Olli Jokinen and Jay Bouwmeester.

2 Vezina nominations and a William Jennings Trophy. Oh, and a Hart nomination to go with a team Canada selection and a few all-star appearances.

I didnt say he wasnt good (btw this years Vezina nomination is a bit questionable, even you have to consider that) I just think the hype that surrounded this guy has exceeded his actual play. He didnt bomb out like Bouwmeester and Jokinen did, but he hasnt been all world great like everyone thought he would be.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I could see people getting angry about with the Canucks is Luongos hype machine. Everyone wondered and talked about how great he would be once he got away from Florida and he's really not that great. Same thing with Olli Jokinen and Jay Bouwmeester.

2 Vezina nominations and a William Jennings Trophy. Oh, and a Hart nomination to go with a team Canada selection and a few all-star appearances.

I didnt say he wasnt good (btw this years Vezina nomination is a bit questionable, even you have to consider that) I just think the hype that surrounded this guy has exceeded his actual play. He didnt bomb out like Bouwmeester and Jokinen did, but he hasnt been all world great like everyone thought he would be.

He carried the Canucks for the first few years he was here and had a terrific regular season this years. There were a number of goalies who had stellar season so you could easily argue that someone else deserved the nomination. He has had those moments where you shake your head and get frustrated with the guy, but he's been one of the better goalies in the league and when he's on top of his game(see shutout victory vs Chicago this year) he's IMO the best goalie in the league. I think Luongo got hyped up so much in Flordia that people expected him to be the next Hasek or Roy, which was probably unfair.

The only thing I could see people getting angry about with the Canucks is Luongos hype machine. Everyone

wondered and talked about how great he would be once he got away from Florida and he's really not that great. Same thing with Olli Jokinen and Jay Bouwmeester.

I didnt say he wasnt good (btw this years Vezina nomination is a bit questionable, even you have to consider that) I just think the hype that surrounded this guy has exceeded his actual play. He didnt bomb out like

Bouwmeester and Jokinen did, but he hasnt been all world great like everyone thought he would be.

He carried the Canucks for the first few years he was here and had a terrific regular season this years. There were a

number of goalies who had stellar season so you could easily argue that someone else deserved the nomination. He has had those moments where you shake your head and get frustrated with the guy, but he's been one of the better goalies in the league and when he's on top of his game(see shutout victory vs Chicago this year) he's IMO the best goalie in the league. I think Luongo got hyped up so much in Flordia that people expected him to be the next

Hasek or Roy, which was probably unfair.

Also he has never won the cup let alone made the final 4(though that should happen soon). Everybody remembers his failures, not his successes(until he wins the cup).

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Olympic. Gold. Medal.

Not sayin', just sayin' :P

Olympic. Gold. Medal.

Yeah, but isn't winning the Stanley Cup more important than a gold medal to a majority of Canada?

the few Canuck fans that remember the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals

What in the? Every Canuck fan who was alive at the time remembers 1994.

When you've never won the Cup, your SCF appearances are all you've got to celebrate, so they're pretty huge in the psyche of the fanbase.

the few Canuck fans that remember the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals

What in the? Every Canuck fan who was alive at the time remembers 1994.

When you've never won the Cup, your SCF appearances are all you've got to celebrate, so they're pretty huge in the psyche of the fanbase.

Hey, not every Canuck fan was around at that time, so my point still stands good sir.

Olympic. Gold. Medal.

Yeah, but isn't winning the Stanley Cup more important than a gold medal to a majority of Canada?

Depends.

Sure, when a Canadian team looks like they have a chance to bring it home we have a tendency to do an "us vs them" thing. Still though, those American teams that have won the Stanley Cup from 1994 to 2010? They were all mostly Canadian in player makeup. So it's not like our reputation as a great hockey country is hurt by the Tampa Bay Lightning defeating the Calgary Flames in the Finals. The Lightning won it with a mostly Canadian roster.

With the Olympics though, it really is "us vs them." Our status as a great hockey country is on the line, or at least it's perceived to be. As to what a Canadian hockey fan would like to see more? I think it's apples and oranges. The Stanley Cup Finals happen every year. The Winter Olympics are a once every four years event. I don't think desire to see one is really something you can measure up against the other.

Though all of this is ignoring my main point. Which is that goalies that are just "ok" or "good but not great" don't play on Olympic gold medal winning teams. Luongo was the starter on a team that beat teams comprised of the world's very best. That takes serious skill.

Olympic. Gold. Medal.

Depends.

Sure, when a Canadian team looks like they have a chance to bring it home we have a tendency to do an "us vs them" thing. Still though, those American teams that have won the Stanley Cup from 1994 to 2010? They were all mostly Canadian in player makeup. So it's not like our reputation as a great hockey country is hurt by the Tampa Bay Lightning defeating the Calgary Flames in the Finals. The Lightning won it with a mostly Canadian roster.

With the Olympics though, it really is "us vs them." Our status as a great hockey country is on the line, or at least it's perceived to be. As to what a Canadian hockey fan would like to see more? I think it's apples and oranges. The Stanley Cup Finals happen every year. The Winter Olympics are a once every four years event. I don't think desire to see one is really something you can measure up against the other.

Though all of this is ignoring my main point. Which is that goalies that are just "ok" or "good but not great" don't play on Olympic gold medal winning teams. Luongo was the starter on a team that beat teams comprised of the world's very best. That takes serious skill.

I see. I just figured that to most of Canada, including it's media, that he wouldn't be considered a great goaltender if he won a gold medal, but let's say, never even got to a Stanley Cup Final and won the thing. I figure hockey for Canada is like basketball for America, in the sense, beyond being Olympic sports, that's what each country is great at, always. Even though Canada had that drought between gold medals and the USSR had it's share of talented players, hockey has and probably always will be a "Canadian Sport."

Olympic. Gold. Medal.

Depends.

That Canadian team was so stacked though, he was not a huge part of that team. He did not "win" them a gold medal. Marty Brodeur almost lost it for them though, but thats besides the point.

Your other part made me remember a friend of mine who is a Canucks fan who told my friend who is a Sens fan that he is un-Canadian cause my Sens fan friend wouldnt root for Montreal if they made the Stanley Cup Finals against an American team. My argument was that all NHL rosters are majority Canadian, so whats the problem? He said that doesnt matter. I dont get his logic and probably never will. I dont think Canadas standing in the game has wavered any since 1993, but thats just me.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I don't have any issues with the Canucks and as soon as the Sharks eliminate Detroit then I won't have any problems with any of the remaining teams winning the cup.

Of my team's division rivals, I really can only say that I hate the Detroit Red Wings. I'm annoyed by the Predators because they're a relatively successful expansion franchise and the Jackets have lost 16 straight games in Nashville. I really don't like the Blues because of TJ Oshie and their style of play, but I don't hate them. I have no issues with the Blackhawks and prior to the existence of the Blue Jackets they were one of the handful of teams that I half-heartedly cheered for along with the Avalanche, Flyers, and believe it or not, Penguins.

List of teams that I do hate: First and foremost, the Detroit Red Wings, Penguins, Devils, and Coyotes.

As another CBJ fan's take on this...

I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the Detroit Red Wings. Hate them. Almost as much as the Yankees.

The Blues? I've gone from indifferent about them to disliking them for sure. It's always fun though to see the goon mentality that team has backfiring against them (i.e. Oshie's injury).

The 'Hawks? Yeah, I would say I hate the Blackhawks just because of all of the "Chicago fans" here in Indy that root for them... but only during the playoffs/when they're winning. When your newsfeed sees nothing the first 3 games of the Vancouver series, and then sees over 10 updates after their 3 wins in that series, it's annoying as all hell.

I hate Nashville for a couple reasons. First off, I can't stand the fans there. Additionally, it's the division opponent that for all intensive purposes was our expansion brother, and it's always a good measure of how good your team is. I do hate them because they've been to the playoffs more often than not, and as McCarthy said, the CBJ have lost 16 straight times in that building.

Outside of the division? I hate the Penguins for sure. McCarthy, my dad's like you, somewhat rooting for the Pens pre-CBJ, but hating them now. Additionally, I have strong dislikes for the Flyers and Bruins, and now that Adam Foote's retiring in Colorado, I don't have to hate the Avs anymore. So yeah, that's my view on the division opponents of the CBJ, and the other three teams I can't stand.

6fQjS3M.png

I find the Ohio-based hate for the Detroit Red Wings hysterical, yet understandable from the whole... they've been too good for too long. I have family in the Columbus and Cleveland-area and I can remember in the late 1990's most hockey fans there wearing Red Wing or Penguin (usually a Yzerman or Lemieux jersey) jerseys. Once the Blue Jackets settled in, but not instantly, those same fans started proclaiming their deep-seeded hatred of everything Red Wing/Penguin-related. Ohio, it's a special place...

I find the Ohio-based hate for the Detroit Red Wings hysterical, yet understandable from the whole... they've been too good for too long. I have family in the Columbus and Cleveland-area and I can remember in the late 1990's most hockey fans there wearing Red Wing or Penguin (usually a Yzerman or Lemieux jersey) jerseys. Once the Blue Jackets settled in, but not instantly, those same fans started proclaiming their deep-seeded hatred of everything Red Wing/Penguin-related. Ohio, it's a special place...

Fans liking the home team? Whoda thunk it?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Fans liking the home team? Whoda thunk it?

Not so much that, the over-embellishment of their disdain for both of the Red Wings and Penguins I found humorous. Though it's nice to see they have such passionate fans. This coming from a person who first thought the idea of a Columbus and not Cincinnati or Cleveland-based team was ludicrous. I went to a Blue Jackets game once, a long time ago, and was pleasantly surprised at their knowledge of the game and passion for it.

As far as team hate...

In the division, I hate the Kings vis a vis their fans. And in the scheme of it all, Kings fans hate the Ducks more than Ducks fans hate the Kings. They were around for 40 years when the Ducks won the Cup in their 14th year. The Ducks were the little upstart compared to the Kings when they came in. I just hate Kings fans because of that whole attitude towards the Ducks, and that they haven't made a new joke in 18 years. (Really the Gordon Bombay/Emilio/Charlie Conway jokes can only last so long.) The only team I've developed some on-ice hate for is the Sharks. We've been competitive around the same time, there have been some important hard fought games, there is the playoff series we had, and the whole NorCal/SoCal thing. The first player I remember hating was Jonathon Cheechoo, because it seemed like he scored a hat trick on the Ducks every damn game. And even with the Sharks, like Bucfan said before about the Ducks, they are almost a team I could have rooted for. I like Sharks as a team name, I always liked the old logo, I've loved their jerseys, and when the Ducks traded Teemu Selanne up to SJ, I did have a small soft spot then. I don't really hate Dallas/Phoenix more of I just hate Steve Ott/Shane Doan. And with living out here, the Yotes are almost my second team with the amount of games I went to, and that I still love Bryzgalov.

In the playoffs, I hate the Sharks for the aforementioned reasons, but I also want the Sharks to lose so the Ducks can still hold the title of California's only Stanley Cup. I hate the Red Wings, because really, who doesn't? And because the Ducks have played the Wings so many times in the playoffs, and that built up grit/grind has crossed into some regular season games on the ice and with the fans. The last series alone has made me hate the Nashville Predators out of sheer annoyance. That has been documented in this thread. In the east, I guess I only have a slight disdain for the Bruins just based on my hate of the Celtics (vs Lakers), Patriots (vs Colts), and Red Sox (vs Angels). I don't have anything against the Bruins themselves, and I actually like a few of their players, and I always like seeing a team end a Cup drought (for the most part). But I hate their fans purely based on the fact they are probably fans of the other teams I hate the most.

I'd be really happy with a Vancouver/Tampa Cup Final and probably a Tampa victory. I really have nothing against the Canucks other than the history of Luongo and that's just more funny to me, and I only dislike the Sedins because they're so good. I thought I'd start to hate them if a "Bring the Cup to Canada" movement started again (All of that from the Canadian media in 2007 with Ottawa was annoying as hell), but that hasn't really started. I'd be happy with either team winning, but I'd rather have Tampa.

Same exact feelings..... exact.

Archived