Why do teams change for the worse?

JohnnySeoul

The biggest problem with the Indians' set now is its schizophrenic nature. Script or block letters? Single-outline letters/numbers or double-outline? Red team or blue team? Navy hats or blue hats?

I like most of the elements of their uniforms on their own (except for the shade of blue used on the hats with Wahoo since '03 ... it looks so minor-league). But put all those elements together on one team? It's a clusterfrick.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest problem with the Indians' set now is its schizophrenic nature. Script or block letters? Single-outline letters/numbers or double-outline? Red team or blue team? Navy hats or blue hats?

I like most of the elements of their uniforms on their own (except for the shade of blue used on the hats with Wahoo since '03 ... it looks so minor-league). But put all those elements together on one team? It's a clusterfrick.

I could be wrong, but I also think the "C" on the road jersey doesn't even match the "C" on the hat. WTF?

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I think you misunderstood my post. I agree with you. I was "fixing" Master Amino's post to the Cavs ditching that look for the LeBron jerseys as the downgrade.

My bad. I love the 90's Cavs uni's and that logo. Hated them back then, but love it now....go figure.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

I'll say this much: I think this is one of the best road uniform in Indians' history. And one of the better ones in baseball today. I absolutely love the Indians' new road look. (Also love the cream home jersey.)

:jawdrop:

Their current road and cream uni's may be the worst in Indians' history, IMO.

They're actually two of the best uniforms in Indians history. The road grey is absolutely perfect, and the home cream would be perfect if it had the blue cap and trim that mimics the road grey. The 90s era Indians uniform is ovverrated because of the success the team had while wearing it. The Indians don't have a lot of success in their history, so when there's one uniform that naturally represents one of their best eras, people are drawn to it because of that. I'm a big Indians fan, but I'm not biased by that stretch of success into thinking that the uniform was better than it was. Those scripts were (still are) very amateur looking.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'll say this much: I think this is one of the best road uniform in Indians' history. And one of the better ones in baseball today. I absolutely love the Indians' new road look. (Also love the cream home jersey.)

They're actually two of the best uniforms in Indians history. The road grey is absolutely perfect, and the home cream would be perfect if it had the blue cap and trim that mimics the road grey. The 90s era Indians uniform is ovverrated because of the success the team had while wearing it. The Indians don't have a lot of success in their history, so when there's one uniform that naturally represents one of their best eras, people are drawn to it because of that. I'm a big Indians fan, but I'm not biased by that stretch of success into thinking that the uniform was better than it was. Those scripts were (still are) very amateur looking.

Agree to disagree. As a lifelong Indians fan (since the late 70's), I can easily say these are the ugliest in Indians' history.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

They still have the Indians script on the home whites and the blue tops for the road, so it's not too bad. I just miss the "I" cap and the red "C" cap is just too bright now.

Agreed about the red C cap. It just doesn't look right on the Indians. But I still don't get why they added these generic old school uniforms, especially if they are still wearing the "modern" set. I think what they were wearing prior to this season was just fine.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I just went to CNNSI.com's MLB page and it killed me to see the Cleveland Indians on the front page. Not because they don't deserve it (cause they without a doubt DO deserve tons of credit right now), but because of the uniform shown. During the mid/late 90's and early 2000's, the Indians had one of the best uni's in MLB...just beautiful home, road, and alternate looks. How in the hell did they decide on this current crap?

josh-tomlin-ap2.jpg

This got me thinking...what other teams, regardless of sport, have gone from having a great uni to an absolute horror?

I love this uniform. I've always liked this vertical arch script. Plus, no Wahoo.

That's not vertical arch, it's a radial arc. Vertical arch is what they had back during the "Major League (film)" era.

Ah, you're right... just got the two terms flip-flopped in my head.

p3eof5ttv0zg7upjups3awdla.gif

Not sure what it was about those...but I really liked those sets, as well. (Of course then I think of names like Darius Miles and Ricky Davis--and Chris Gatling--and then all that goes out the window...but, still, point remains.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Agree to disagree. As a lifelong Indians fan (since the late 70's), I can easily say these are the ugliest in Indians' history.

The ugliest in Indians history? Then you don't know Indians history. The blood clot red crap that they wore in the 70's was clearly the worst and ugliest look in all of baseball and sports. The current set is NOT ugly, and actually quite nice and cleaned up the mess of the set of the late 90's and 2000's.

I'm with you on those God-awful cream home uniforms with the red hat. Those may be the worst uniforms not only in Indians history, but in any team's history. Switch back to a blue hat with the cream look and it might look pretty good but as long ad they keep wearing those red hats, it's garbage.

We'll have to agree to disagree on their new road uniforms. I think they look great.

BB52Big.jpg

I remember thinking that the late 90's Cavs identity was one of the coolest identities in the NBA back when it was in use. Now that I'm a little older and wiser, I realize how awful that identity was. Random nonsensical colors, random nonsensical splash on the jersey, completely generic-looking logo. A team with such an awesome name should never have had such a wasteland of an identity. Their current identity runs circles around that 90's identity.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I'm with you on those God-awful cream home uniforms with the red hat. Those may be the worst uniforms not only in Indians history, but in any team's history. Switch back to a blue hat with the cream look and it might look pretty good but as long ad they keep wearing those red hats, it's garbage.

We'll have to agree to disagree on their new road uniforms. I think they look great.

What makes their current uni's so gawd awful (besides the worst hat in MLB = Indians red hat) is that they are all over the place with this set. The home uni is modern, the away is blocked, the away hat is a different font than the away jersey (WTF?), the navy uni is modern, and the the cream is another random throw back with yet another different font. None of it makes sense....that's what makes them so ugly.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Archived