Why do teams change for the worse?

JohnnySeoul

I just went to CNNSI.com's MLB page and it killed me to see the Cleveland Indians on the front page. Not because they don't deserve it (cause they without a doubt DO deserve tons of credit right now), but because of the uniform shown. During the mid/late 90's and early 2000's, the Indians had one of the best uni's in MLB...just beautiful home, road, and alternate looks. How in the hell did they decide on this current crap?

josh-tomlin-ap2.jpg

This got me thinking...what other teams, regardless of sport, have gone from having a great uni to an absolute horror?

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't go so far as to say it's an absolute horror, but Arizona State football has been trending downwards since they introduced their new uniforms in 2009. The white-trimmed uniforms were much better than last year's or their new ones.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I just went to CNNSI.com's MLB page and it killed me to see the Cleveland Indians on the front page. Not because they don't deserve it (cause they without a doubt DO deserve tons of credit right now), but because of the uniform shown. During the mid/late 90's and early 2000's, the Indians had one of the best uni's in MLB...just beautiful home, road, and alternate looks. How in the hell did they decide on this current crap?

josh-tomlin-ap2.jpg

This got me thinking...what other teams, regardless of sport, have gone from having a great uni to an absolute horror?

I love this uniform. I've always liked this vertical arch script. Plus, no Wahoo.

josh-tomlin-ap2.jpg

I love this uniform. I've always liked this vertical arch script. Plus, no Wahoo.

Ummmm....he's still there.

pMLB2-9031460dt.jpg

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

He's there, on the sleeve. Are you saying that the logo is the reason the Indians went to this jersey, or its absense is why you like the jersey? Either way, I disagree. The '90s set was perfect for the Indians. Even if they needed to get rid of the Wahoo logo, they didn't have to get rid of the classic uniforms. I dislike the new home and road.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Why do teams change for the worse?

Because they feel it's a change for the better at the time, whether it's for aesthetic or political reasons. History may prove them wrong ? hindsight is 20/20, after all ? and opinions on these sorts of things are subjective, but, in a nutshell, that's why. Nobody goes around saying, "Let's make our uniforms crappier!" It's almost always done with the nest of intentions.

josh-tomlin-ap2.jpg

That's not vertical arch, it's a radial arc. Vertical arch is what they had back during the "Major League (film)" era.

The '90s set was perfect for the Indians. They didn't have to get rid of the classic uniforms. I dislike the new home and road.

Indeed. Here's a comparison. I do like the navy alternate uni during all the era's they have been worn though.

BEFORE

earlyIndians.png

NOW

currentIndians.png

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Nobody goes around saying, "Let's make our uniforms crappier!"

Obviously, but where's the research when some teams do this? Same appplies to the Washington Wizards and the Oklahoma City Thunder team name and uni's. Sometimes its like the organization just says, "eff it, we're going to do this". haha

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

I'll say this much: I think this is one of the best road uniform in Indians' history. And one of the better ones in baseball today. I absolutely love the Indians' new road look. (Also love the cream home jersey.)

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

josh-tomlin-ap2.jpg

Well I like the retro Indians stuff.

In general though, I think sometimes teams just change to shake things up. You can have a great uniform, but if your sales numbers are dropping, you change them to get people buying your gear again. Similarly, you can have a great uniform but if your team has under-performed for a while a uniform change may be part of a plan to freshen up the team's image.

For some teams, it may be as simple as this: they need to sell more product. See about 33% of the NBA over the past seven-ten years or so for reference.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Call it me, but I'd like to see the "original 8" in each league adopt an early 20th century inspired look. I honestly never understood the love for the World Series era sets... they remind me of those generic jerseys from the 90s that people (read: dopes) used to think were authentic because they were stitched. But seeing as how Wahoo is in the OP's sig, methinks this has less to do with his perception of this being a downgrade and more with his buttsoreness over Wahoo being moved to a less prominent place on the uniform.

I'll say this much: I think this is one of the best road uniform in Indians' history. And one of the better ones in baseball today. I absolutely love the Indians' new road look. (Also love the cream home jersey.)

:jawdrop:

Their current road and cream uni's may be the worst in Indians' history, IMO.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Archived