Cleveland Browns Concept

LEWJ

Browns Concept (Revisited):

Decided to go back to the Browns traditional striping patterns, as suggested [mainly by andrewharrington].

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I won't talk this one up.

Primary Home:

CLEhelmet.png

CLEHOME2.png

Primary Road:

CLEhelmet.png

CLEROAD2.png

Alternate Combinations:

-

Home with brown pants* (I would never want to see this, ever. Ok maybe just once.)

*Note, I realize the orange socks stick out like a sore thumb. When accompanied by the orange helmet, I think it will create a very nice balance.

Original Attempt:

This is my first concept in a long time.

The Browns are always a tough team to make any changes to because of their rich history of wearing traditional uniforms.

I decided my goal for the Browns would be to create consistency among the striping and balance among colors.

-Striping on helmet is used on all applications (jerseys, pants)

-Brownie the elf is reintroduced as full-time logo, appears on front of pants

-Brown facemask is adopted; I've always been partial to the idea, but after seeing some mock-ups I think it would look really sharp

-Brown is clearly the dominant uniform color, as it should be (other than orange pants, obviously)

-Orange pants reintroduced to create balance (orange cap, white/brown jersey, orange pants, white/brown socks)

-Striped socks

[Primary combination would be with orange pants.]

Helmet / Logo

Home

Road

White Pants

Orange Pants

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

give me a white facemask for starters.

you've got something going here with the way you echo the sleeve stripe in the pants, like the Florida Gators do. The secondary sleeve stripes are way too thin, and the number beveling needs to go (and you need to stick TV numbers on there somewhere. maybe add the NFL logo shield and Nike logo to add the presentation).

give me a white facemask for starters.

you've got something going here with the way you echo the sleeve stripe in the pants, like the Florida Gators do. The secondary sleeve stripes are way too thin, and the number beveling needs to go (and you need to stick TV numbers on there somewhere. maybe add the NFL logo shield and Nike logo to add the presentation).

Made the mistake of saving as a jpeg, so the quality was pretty cruddy.

I removed the beveling even before I saw your comment.

I'll thicken the secondary stripes before re-uploading.

* Images are posted again, C&C is appreciated!

Also, it seems to me most Nike Pro Combat sets don't have TV numbers, that's why there are none. They're hard to fit, and in this day and age they aren't really needed, if you ask me.

I like the brown face mask it's distinctive and the orange pants are so much a better option for home gomes than white Nice work LEWJ.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

I think the jerseys look pretty nice on their own, but combined with the helmet and pants, we're more or less looking at a brown version of Florida. The problem is that the way they handle the stripes so that they're all 'matching' is almost getting a little too clever with it, to the point that most people might not even see it that way. On top of that, there's not a whole lot of interest in a uniform that uses the same striping pattern on the helmet, jersey, pants and socks. It's a little redundant to be honest. I much prefer the current approach where the three stripe pattern is used on the helmet and pants, while the 5 stripe pattern is used on the jersey and socks, and then just to make things interesting, orange is used as the dominant color on the pant stripes. Some people look at it as haphazard, but I find it to be rather unexpected, and I think that adds a lot of life to a very traditional uniform. Long story short, I'd rather see you find a striping pattern for the jersey and socks that's totally different than that of the pants and helmet, but one that coordinates well through color or scale or some other design language.

And the brown facemask is loathsome. Very high school or pop warner looking

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I hate it.

This looks generic, boring and lacking of creativity. But then again its the browns so there wasn't that much you could do. I mean really? Was this team so starved for inspiration that all they could come up with was an orange coloured helmet for a logo? I mean if it was brown it would still be uninspired but at least it would make sense. And whats with the name "Browns?" A three year old could come up with a better identity.

Well comments started out nice... Downhill quick though.

Tough crowd, always is.

I appreciate the honesty, especially from a fellow Browns fan.

I'm thinking about revisiting this with a different approach.

Probably something similar to one of my former Browns concepts.

I'm not going to promise any updates though.

I hate it.

This looks generic, boring and lacking of creativity. But then again its the browns so there wasn't that much you could do. I mean really? Was this team so starved for inspiration that all they could come up with was an orange coloured helmet for a logo? I mean if it was brown it would still be uninspired but at least it would make sense. And whats with the name "Browns?" A three year old could come up with a better identity.

is the first thing I thought of when I read your response.

first of all your canucks use a logo that is just a hockey rink with a stick in the middle of it and before that it was just a hockey skate. How much more generic can it get? second how about you do some research, they are not named after the color Brown. They are named after Paul Brown, so there's no reason why the helmet should be brown. Should green bay have a green helmet? They've never had a logo on it and that's the way fans like it. It's classic and has tradition. You had a similar rant in the MLB away uniform topic, and frankly you made no sense in there...

A three year old could have come up with a better response to his concept.

But as far as my input on the concept. I love it except that the facemask should be grey. I agree that Brown reminds me more of a high school team, and white has always been too bright and reminds me of those terrible Couch era teams. I think it's funny though I had a similar idea for striping consistency here

I think it's funny though I had a similar idea for striping consistency here

Man I forgot all about that!

I even commented on it & praised you for the execution.

Well shows what kind of memory I have. I didn't mean to produce a carbon copy of your concept... haha

I hate it.

is the first thing I thought of when I read your response.

first of all your canucks use a logo that is just a hockey rink with a stick in the middle of it and before that it was just a hockey skate. How much more generic can it get? second how about you do some research, they are not named after the color Brown. They are named after Paul Brown, so there's no reason why the helmet should be brown. Should green bay have a green helmet? They've never had a logo on it and that's the way fans like it. It's classic and has tradition. You had a similar rant in the MLB away uniform topic, and frankly you made no sense in there...

A three year old could have come up with a better response to his concept.

But as far as my input on the concept. I love it except that the facemask should be grey. I agree that Brown reminds me more of a high school team, and white has always been too bright and reminds me of those terrible Couch era teams. I think it's funny though I had a similar idea for striping consistency here

win.

also, the updated concept looks great. im still not a fan of the brown facemask, but now the concept is complete and strong. to each their own.

I think it's funny though I had a similar idea for striping consistency here

Man I forgot all about that!

I even commented on it & praised you for the execution.

Well shows what kind of memory I have. I didn't mean to produce a carbon copy of your concept... haha

no problem...i didnt notice either until you mentioned it! yours is a bit different so its cool

Great job! Ps people put a lot of time and effort into these, opinions are cool, but to say you "hate it" is just being a dick. What kind of username is "Morgo"??! That sounds like a clowns name, then again that's really all you are...

I hate it.

Keep in mind the Browns' identity was created in a different era. One in which we didn't crave 'inspiration' so much and the only thing a football uniform had to do was look good and identify your team. That era has passed, unfortunately, but I like that the Browns still cling to it instead of jumping on the merchandising bandwagon and adopting a more saleable identity.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Alright, huge update (see original post).

I'll let the images do the talking.

C&C is nice

The only thing I don't like is the colored collar. In general, I just think a solid colored collar or cuff looks extremely tacky. I'd also explore trying a new stripe pattern, as long as it's different than the helmet/pants.

Honestly, I like the colored collar, I really do. I work well with the rest of the uniform, and although the uniform isn't dramatically different than most Cleveland Brown concepts, I love the use of orange pants. Makes me think Cardiac Kids, and that makes me happy in a nostalgic sense.

I hate it.

This reply has inspired me to create a new term I'm going to use here in Concepts. We're all pretty familiar with "BFBS." Allow me to present for your consideration "AHFTSOBAAH." Feel free to use it if you want. Thanks for the inspiration Morgo.

On topic. Nice work Lew.

BB52Big.jpg

I hate it.

This reply has inspired me to create a new term I'm going to use here in Concepts. We're all pretty familiar with "BFBS." Allow me to present for your consideration "AHFTSOBAAH." Feel free to use it if you want. Thanks for the inspiration Morgo.

On topic. Nice work Lew.

I'm dying to ask what that acronym might stand for...

& Thanks :D

Archived