Mavs Logo Realization

The weird thing, I think, is that a maverick is defined as an unbranded range animal. Putting the M on the forehead gives it a "brand", so to speak.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me, or is the Mavs logo/wordmarks starting to look quite outdated? The wordmark doesn't look bad on the jerseys, I think just in the portrayal on the full logo.

I agree. I like their jerseys, but that horse logo has always looked a little too "messy" and "jagged" to me. I feel like they could "smoothen" it up a bit like the T-wolves secondary logo.

This is along the same lines of "Wow I never realized the D in the Disney Logo was actually a D!"...

I was watching the Mavs game on Friday, and for the first time in the 10 year's they've had the logo, I noticed the M on the horse's head! I couldn't believe it had been there all 10 years, I had to check to make sure this year's wasn't an update. I guess it's just how the brain works sometimes. Well now the M's on the sides of the court in the same font make alot more sense to me.

ifk08eam05rwxr3yhol3whdcm.gif

Is anyone at all in the same boat as me? Or can you think of a similar logo situation in which you didn't realize something about a logo until many years later?

I knew the M was there, but I always thought it was really similar to the M on Speed Racer's car

mach5.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

As a Mavs fan, I've never been very satisfied with the current primary. Why the skewed perspective for the wordmark? Why is the horse's lower jaw melded to it's neck? And most importantly, why is there so much black? That black has never once made it onto the uniforms. Always just white silver, royal and navy (plus green for the alernates at one point).

As a Mavs fan, I've never been very satisfied with the current primary. Why the skewed perspective for the wordmark? Why is the horse's lower jaw melded to it's neck? And most importantly, why is there so much black? That black has never once made it onto the uniforms. Always just white silver, royal and navy (plus green for the alernates at one point).

Wow good point. Now that you mention it I'm shocked they have never had a black alternate... they even had the shiny silver alternate that one year...

90758391980.gif

I never noticed that before, but that is inexcusable. No navy appears on the logo, even though that is their primary color, or at least was until this season. Swap the black out for navy and this logo is better (but still bad).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I have always maintained that they went with Navy for the uniforms because if they didn't, they would have the same exact colors as the Orlando Magic. Exactly the same colors. However, I agree - why didn't they just make the Black in the logos Navy?

Did you look at that logo and read it as "Walt [logo]isney"? Context alone ought to have filled in the blanks, even if you wouldn't have recognized it as a "D" alone by itself.

My thoughts exactly. How on Earth does anyone not see a D there?

BB52Big.jpg

Did you look at that logo and read it as "Walt [logo]isney"? Context alone ought to have filled in the blanks, even if you wouldn't have recognized it as a "D" alone by itself.

My thoughts exactly. How on Earth does anyone not see a D there?

I think it's because, for many of us, we were seeing the Disney logo long before we could even read. And when you're young you are accustomed to seing symbols and such that you're unfamiliar with, so you don't read much into it. I know it took me a long time to really look at that logo and see the D.

I always use to think that the Atlanta Falcon's logo was a bird's head, with the beak and claw as one big beak and the wing as some sort of beard thing.

i always thought the white sox logo was a little guy with a big hat, to this day, thats all i can see in the logo

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not trying to derail the thread, but I wanted to see what the logo would look like with Navy instead of black:

5712699211_286b28dd43_b.jpg

Um... the original logo doesn't have black. Just a very dark shade of blue.

Looks like black to me.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Not trying to derail the thread, but I wanted to see what the logo would look like with Navy instead of black:

Looks like black to me.

It most certainly IS Black. I'll say it again: the colors of the Mavericks' logos match exactly - down to the Pantone values - the Orlando Magic's colors. Which is why (I suspect) that the Mavs' went with Navy for the uniforms.

It most certainly IS Black. I'll say it again: the colors of the Mavericks' logos match exactly - down to the Pantone values - the Orlando Magic's colors. Which is why (I suspect) that the Mavs' went with Navy for the uniforms.

That's interesting. They shoulda incorporated green some more into the logo.

... And ditched the black for navy blue, it definitely looks better that way.

90758391980.gif

Looks like black to me.

Because of this, they should really add green back.

Archived