The face of each team

winghaz

The death of Harmon Killebrew brought out a lot of people saying he was the face of the Minnesota Twins.

No question about that. He was the face of the Twins and, in my opinion, the franchise's greatest player.

But what about the other teams? Who is the face, or the symbol, of each MLB team? It's often the best player in that team's history, but not always. Anyway, here is my opinion:

AL

Twins: Of course, Harmon Killebrew.

Yankees: Babe Ruth, despite all the other greats.

Orioles: Frank Robinson may have been the best player, but Cal Ripken is the face.

Red Sox: Ted Williams.

Rays: I don't think they have anyone.

Blue Jays: Joe Carter, I think.

White Sox: Hmmm. Tough. Shoeles Joe Jackson was probably the best player. But the face? Maybe Nellie Fox.

Tigers: Ty Cobb was the best, but I think Al Kaline is the face.

Indians: Bob Feller.

Royals: George Brett.

Angels: Nolan Ryan.

Rangers: Again, Nolan Ryan.

Athletics: I still have to think Reggie Jackson, at least the modern A's.

Mariners: No question, Ken Griffey Jr.

NL

Braves: Hank Aaron. Or Henry Aaron, if you prefer.

Marlins: Another team I don't think has one.

Mets: Tom Seaver.

Phillies: I lean toward Mike Schmidt.

Nationals: Nobody with the Nationals, but with the franchise, it's Gary Carter.

Cubs: Is there a bigger face for any team than Ernie Banks with the Cubs?

Reds: Hmmm. Johnny Bench or Pete Rose? My edge goes to Rose. It's a good debate.

Astros: This is sounding like a broken record, but Nolan Ryan.

Brewers: Robin Yount, although one could make a strong case for Paul Molitor.

Pirates: Roberto Clemente, although one could make a strong case for Willie Stargell.

Cardinals: Stan the Man. Don't even need a last name there.

Diamondbacks: Randy Johnson.

Rockies: Larry Walker.

Dodgers: Jackie Robinson in Brooklyn. Sandy Koufax in L.A.

Giants: Willie Mays in both New York and San Francisco.

Padres: Tony Gwynn.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The death of Harmon Killebrew brought out a lot of people saying he was the face of the Minnesota Twins.

No question about that. He was the face of the Twins and, in my opinion, the franchise's greatest player.

But what about the other teams? Who is the face, or the symbol, of each MLB team? It's often the best player in that team's history, but not always. Anyway, here is my opinion:

AL

Twins: Of course, Harmon Killebrew.

Yankees: Babe Ruth, despite all the other greats.

Orioles: Frank Robinson may have been the best player, but Cal Ripken is the face.

Red Sox: Ted Williams.

Rays: I don't think they have anyone.

Blue Jays: Joe Carter, I think.

White Sox: Hmmm. Tough. Shoeles Joe Jackson was probably the best player. But the face? Maybe Nellie Fox.

Tigers: Ty Cobb was the best, but I think Al Kaline is the face.

Indians: Bob Feller.

Royals: George Brett.

Rangers: Again, Nolan Ryan.

Athletics: I still have to think Reggie Jackson, at least the modern A's.

Mariners: No question, Ken Griffey Jr.

NL

Braves: Hank Aaron. Or Henry Aaron, if you prefer.

Marlins: Another team I don't think has one.

Mets: Tom Seaver.

Phillies: I lean toward Mike Schmidt.

Nationals: Nobody with the Nationals, but with the franchise, it's Gary Carter.

Cubs: Is there a bigger face for any team than Ernie Banks with the Cubs?

Reds: Hmmm. Johnny Bench or Pete Rose? My edge goes to Rose. It's a good debate.

Astros: This is sounding like a broken record, but Nolan Ryan.

Brewers: Robin Yount, although one could make a strong case for Paul Molitor.

Pirates: Roberto Clemente, although one could make a strong case for Willie Stargell.

Cardinals: Stan the Man. Don't even need a last name there.

Diamondbacks: Randy Johnson.

Rockies: Larry Walker.

Dodgers: Jackie Robinson in Brooklyn. Sandy Koufax in L.A.

Giants: Willie Mays in both New York and San Francisco.

Padres: Tony Gwynn.

Not many issues with your picks...but I might argue Frank Thomas for the ChiSox.

Didn't baseball do this a few years ago? I think it was sponsored, like everything in baseball, by DHL.

I've gotta believe there's a more representative Angel than Nolan Ryan, since they've been around for 50 years and Ryan seemingly spent most of those 50 being the face of the Rangers or Astros. Garret Anderson, maybe? I don't think anyone really cared about the Angels in the '70s, anyway.

Oh and of course Frank Thomas for the Sox. I'd put Fisk ahead of Fox, if not for the split heritage.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe from an outsider's perspective.

But for Angels fans, I'd say Tim Salmon or Garrett Anderson for players. Or even Mike Scioscia or Gene Autry if you want to extend it to coaching/management.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

But for Angels fans, I'd say Tim Salmon or Garrett Anderson for players. Or even Mike Scioscia or Gene Autry if you want to extend it to coaching/management.

I think Rod Carew's in the argument, as well.

I think Rod Carew's in the argument, as well.

I'd agree.

The Angels problem is they've had several different "eras" in their 50 years, and not really one transcendent face. Ryan was probably the best Angel, but like the OP has already pointed out, he was great for the Angels, for the Astros, and for the Rangers. Carew was great for the Angels in probably their 2nd greatest era, but also ended up playing for other teams. Salmon played for the Angels his whole career and was part of their only World Series title, and is commonly referred to as Mr. Angel right now. GA should have been an Angel his whole career (his stints in Atlanta and LA were brutal watching him as my favorite baseball player ever), and he was probably the best Angel for this most successful era of Angels baseball.

That's also why I threw in Scioscia and Autry. Autry could have been the face of the Angels during his ownership just like Steinbrenner was the face of the Yankees for his ownership. Scioscia will be with the Angels for a LONG time I think and will be the most successful manager in Angels history and should end up as one of the most successful of all time, so you could make that argument as well.

The "face" of the Angels isn't as well defined as some other teams. (And that's actually becoming really evident to me in this 50th season as I get more educated on the entire history of the franchise thanks to their tributes and programs and such.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Rickey transcends teams. Rickey is only the face of Rickey. Rickey's in the top ten ballplayers ever, right?

I'd say Reggie, Catfish, or Canseco for the A's.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Rod Carew is NOT in the argument for the Angels. He's a Twin. Period.

The Angels, I admit, were tough, and Ryan was the best one I could think of. I even thought of Jim Fregosi. But the more I think about it, maybe this is the case where a manager, Mike Scioscia, is the face of a team. That might also be the case with the Rays and Joe Maddon.

The Rays' face will be B.J. Upton one day, but for now they have no one. As for the Marlins, Hanley Ramirez or JJ will be the face of the franchise one day.

Had he stayed, I'd have said Carl Crawford. As is now, I'd say Evan Longoria. (And this is coming from a casual baseball observer, not even a real "fan".)

As for the Marlins, hell...the way they kept winning and then blowing the team up, it's amazing that anyone even remembers who used to play for them. I mean, who by now remembers that Josh Beckett was once the de-facto ace of that '03 Marlins staff that defeated the Yankees in that season's World Series...a staff that also included A.J. Burnett, Jeff Conine (who also just happened to be on the first Marlins championship team) and Brad Penny? As a matter of fact, there's probably a good chance that one of the players on your favorite team was on that '03 Marlin squad at some point. Off the top of my head: Derrek Lee (last I knew he was with the Cubs), Miguel Cabrera (Tigers), Luis Castillo (who if the Marlins were to have a face, he probably coulda been it--don't know where he is right now), Juan Pierre (White Sox I believe), and Mike Lowell (Red Sox). I'll also add this: had he not been traded to the Tigers, and had he held to form, it's entirely possible that Dontrelle Willis (yeah--remember him?) coulda been the face of the Marlins, as Dan Uggla started to become before he ended up on the Braves.

I guess after all that, it's safe to say the face of the Marlins is pretty much just a big ol' fat ?.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Just going on the inital list, I thought Puckett had the better career as well, but the greatest player to ever suit up for any considerable amount of time for the Twins is Rod Carew in my opinion.

To me your best player should be your franchise's face, so that's what I'm basing this on.

Ripken is better then Frank Robinson, and way more well known in Baltimore.

For the Blue Jays, I'd say Roberto Alomar. Could even make an argument for Dave Stieb. Both us those guys I regard as much better Blue Jays then Joe Carter.

Aubrey Huff should be in Tampa, but that is highly subject to change. I think either Longoria or Price are going to overtake him pretty quickly.

Thomas is probably going to be the most well known White Sox, but I would still say Eddie Collins is the greatest.

For the Indians, Feller is the popular answer, and rightfully so, but again ask me who the greatest player to ever suit up for the Indians was and I would say Tris Speaker, who in my opinion is the most underated player in baseball history, just going on how much he gets talked about and what his numbers were.

Angels are tough, but I would say Ryan was their best player.

A's if you just want to talk about Oakland probably Rickey Henderson. If you want to go back to Philadelphia I would have to go with Lefty Grove.

Texas if tough as well, but I'd say end of the day Ivan Rodriguez is their best player ever.

For the Braves I like Warren Spahn even though the popular choice is Aaron. Again not going to argue too much with that, just feel Spahn is very underated. If we are just looking at Atlanta, I'd say Greg Maddux.

Marlins haven't done much with career players but I think Hanley is going to be their best when all is said and done. May already be it.

If you want to include the Senators history with the Nats its Walter Johnson. (Yes I know the original Senators became the Twins and the second one became the Rangers) For Montreal I'd say Carter, and for now I'd have to go with Ryan Zimmerman.

For the Phillies, I like Robin Roberts, although I know Schmidt is going to be a more popular answer.

For the Reds it should be Rose hands down. I like Bench, but you can't match Rose's longevity. He is still beloved in Cincy as well despite the controversy.

For the Astros I like Biggio, even though more will probably like Bagwell.

With Pittsburgh, I'd still say Honus Wagner is the greatest player in that franchise's history by a wide margin, and I don't see anyone catching him anytime soon.

Colorado I like Helton.

Dodgers most impact without question is Jackie Robinson. Best player I'd say though is Sutton with Drysdale a close second. The popular choice is Koufax, and I think he's a great pitcher but he's only got five years to go on. Its a great five years, but its still only five years.

For the Giants I'd still go with Mays, but Barry is really close. I'd say its almost a dead heat.

Any team not mentioned I agreed with the inital list.

Rickey transcends teams. Rickey is only the face of Rickey. Rickey's in the top ten ballplayers ever, right?

I'd say Reggie, Catfish, or Canseco for the A's.

Forgot about Catfish, maybe even Dennis Eckersley.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived