The face of each team

winghaz

Would your choices be any different if you picked the "face" of each team based on who you saw growing up versus the greatest ever?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some of these choices that can be interchangeable and therefore no real argument. I would include Biggio and/or Bagwell in the discussion for the face of the Astros.

For the Braves I agree on Hank Aaron. If we are just talking Milwaukee Braves I think he would share face time with Eddie Mathews. If we are just talking Atlanta, I think Chipper Jones would make the best case for that. Even Dale Murphy could be considered.

I say Helton hands down for the Rockies too. Although Tulo will make a strong case for himself if he maintains his current productive play over the life of his contract.

With the Yankees, it's tough to call. The obvious choice is Babe Ruth. But he was really the face of baseball for so long. You can really pick a face by era when it comes to them. Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, Jackson/Munson, Mattingly, Jeter. They all have a strong case but for different eras.

Let's not forget that Pittsburgh had baseball before Clemente and Stargell. Honus Wagner is one of the greatest players that ever lived and he came right out of the steel city.

What about Barry Larkin for the Reds? He is not their greatest player ever. But It couldn't hurt to consider him in the conversation.

What about Alan Trammel for the Tigers? He was like the Dale Murphy of that team. Everyone loved him and he is a great overall guy. He's just not Hall-worthy. Doesn't mean he can't be the face of a franchise.

Now if we are going off strictly who is the greatest player in that uniform then some of my suggestions won't measure up. But if we are talking about what a player meant to a franchise on & off the field then some of these guys could really be considered.

What about Alan Trammel for the Tigers? He was like the Dale Murphy of that team. Everyone loved him and he is a great overall guy. He's just not Hall-worthy.

Yes he is.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What about Alan Trammel for the Tigers? He was like the Dale Murphy of that team. Everyone loved him and he is a great overall guy. He's just not Hall-worthy.

Yes he is.

If I had to rank shortstops I'd go Honus, Ernie Banks, Ripken, Arod, Yount, Luke Appling, Joe Sewell, Arky Vaughan, Ozzie, Aparicio, Joe Cronin, Rabbit Maranville, Lou Boudreau, Dave Bancroft, Pee Wee Reese, Alan Trammell, Barry Larkin, Derek Jeter, Tony Fernandez and Dave Concepcion.

Notice you don't see Travis Jackson, Phil Rizzuto, Bobby Wallace or Joe Tinker on that list and they are in the Hall. Trammell's not the first guy I'd put in who's not in, but he'd be far from the worst guy in for that position.

He also didn't fall off a :censored:ing cliff and become worthless after 30, so comparing him to Murphy seems silly.

Not if your idea of the "face" is your favorite versus the best ever. I watched Jackson and Garvey and Trammell play. To me those guys are the "face" over Ruth, Robinson, and Cobb.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

The death of Harmon Killebrew brought out a lot of people saying he was the face of the Minnesota Twins.

No question about that. He was the face of the Twins and, in my opinion, the franchise's greatest player.

But what about the other teams? Who is the face, or the symbol, of each MLB team? It's often the best player in that team's history, but not always. Anyway, here is my opinion:

AL

Twins: Of course, Harmon Killebrew.

Yankees: Babe Ruth, despite all the other greats.

Orioles: Frank Robinson may have been the best player, but Cal Ripken is the face.

Red Sox: Ted Williams.

Rays: I don't think they have anyone.

Blue Jays: Joe Carter, I think.

White Sox: Hmmm. Tough. Shoeles Joe Jackson was probably the best player. But the face? Maybe Nellie Fox.

Tigers: Ty Cobb was the best, but I think Al Kaline is the face.

Indians: Bob Feller.

Royals: George Brett.

Angels: Nolan Ryan.

Rangers: Again, Nolan Ryan.

Athletics: I still have to think Reggie Jackson, at least the modern A's.

Mariners: No question, Ken Griffey Jr.

NL

Braves: Hank Aaron. Or Henry Aaron, if you prefer.

Marlins: Another team I don't think has one.

Mets: Tom Seaver.

Phillies: I lean toward Mike Schmidt.

Nationals: Nobody with the Nationals, but with the franchise, it's Gary Carter.

Cubs: Is there a bigger face for any team than Ernie Banks with the Cubs?

Reds: Hmmm. Johnny Bench or Pete Rose? My edge goes to Rose. It's a good debate.

Astros: This is sounding like a broken record, but Nolan Ryan.

Brewers: Robin Yount, although one could make a strong case for Paul Molitor.

Pirates: Roberto Clemente, although one could make a strong case for Willie Stargell.

Cardinals: Stan the Man. Don't even need a last name there.

Diamondbacks: Randy Johnson.

Rockies: Larry Walker.

Dodgers: Jackie Robinson in Brooklyn. Sandy Koufax in L.A.

Giants: Willie Mays in both New York and San Francisco.

Padres: Tony Gwynn.

Good Post I just have a few disagreements and clarifications.

Rays Evan Longoria

White Sox Here is another two names to consider Harold Baines or Ozzie Guillen

Tigers agree completely Cobb is too old and was a horrible person. Kaline was Baby Boom TV and never killed anyone.

Angels I say the face is Tim Salmon

A's Old days Connie Mack Oakland A's Jose Canseco

Marlins I agree this team has been so transient there is no face. Every time someone starts to become the face boom he is traded

Nats/Expos I agree

Reds are Pete Rose keep in mind he is was born and raised in Cincy.

Astros Craig Biggio

Rockies Todd Helton

NY Giants Mays SF Giants McCovey or Bonds

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Astros: This is sounding like a broken record, but Nolan Ryan.

I'd choose Craig Biggio (and Jeff Bagwell) over Nolan.

Brewers: Robin Yount, although one could make a strong case for Paul Molitor.

Robin Yount is the safe bet if you have to only pick one, but I'd say that all of Harvey's Wallbangers are the face.

For the Blue Jays, I'd say Roberto Alomar. Could even make an argument for Dave Stieb. Both us those guys I regard as much better Blue Jays then Joe Carter.

I agree. For most people of course Joe Carter is the face of the team for his WS homerun in '93, but in my opinion Alomar was the greatest Blue Jay ever, followed by Dave Stieb, Roy Halladay and Carlos Delgado.

I would especialy say Alomar since he's been very loyal to the Blue Jays. He contributes a lot to the community here and in Puerto Rico and has always been proud to wear the Jays cap.

1zqy8ok.gif

Would your choices be any different if you picked the "face" of each team based on who you saw growing up versus the greatest ever?

That's why when I was thinking about the Angels on the way home from work today, I came up with Mark Langston, Chili Davis and Jim Abbott as possibilities.

That's why when I was thinking about the Angels on the way home from work today, I came up with Mark Langston, Chili Davis and Jim Abbott as possibilities.

What about Bobby Grich? I know he split some time with Baltimore, but still.

I know there was talk about Trammell's HOF candidacy, but Bobby Grich is a guy that just gets no love and he was a hell of a second baseman. Great defensive player, the best hitting second baseman in baseball a few years. He needs a look at.

When I hear "this team", I think of "this player" (sticking with people from my lifetime)...

American League

NYY - Derek Jeter

BOS - Roger Clemens

BAL - Cal Ripken Jr.

TB - Carl Crawford

TOR - Roy Halladay

DET - Cecil Fielder

CHW - Frank Thomas

CLE - Jim Thome

KC - George Brett

MIN - Kirby Puckett

OAK - Jose Canseco

TEX - Nolan Ryan

LAA - Vlad Guerrero

SEA - Ken Griffey Jr.

National League

PHI - Ryan Howard

ATL - Tom Glavine

NYM - Mike Piazza

FLA - Dontrelle Willis

WAS - none/too soon

CHC - Ryne Sandberg

STL - Mark McGwire

HOU - Jeff Bagwell

CIN - Barry Larkin

MIL - Robin Yount

PIT - Barry Bonds

SF - Barry Bonds (again)

ARZ - Randy Johnson

LAD - Tommy Lasorda

COL - Todd Helton

SD - Tony Gwynn

6uXNWAo.png

Reds fans my age would say Barry Larkin and they'd be right. He played his whole career in Cincinnati, he's from Cincinnati, he won a World Series and an MVP. He transcended eras from the Riverfront teams that were just pulling out of the big red machine hangover, to the large payroll Marge Schott teams, to the 99 team that came out of nowhere to win 96 games, to the crappy teams of the early Great American ballpark days. He's my favorite baseball player ever.

Reds fans older than me would say either Pete Rose or Johnny Bench and they'd also be right.

Reds fans older than them would say Ted Kluszewski.

Reds fans older than them are probably dead.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Maybe I should have listed separate ones for defunct franchises, or moved franchises. I already listed Jackie Robinson as the face of the Brooklyn Dodgers. And Willie Mays would be the face of both the New York and San Fran Giants. And I covered the Expos/Nationals.

As for others:

First Washington Senators (AKA Nationals): Walter Johnson.

Second Washington Senators: Probably Frank Howard.

Boston Braves: Warren Spahn.

Milwaukee Braves: Hank Aaron over Eddie Mathews. And Aaron is also for the Atlanta Braves.

Philadelphia Athletics: Jimmy Foxx, although there's a good argument for Lefty Grove.

Kansas City Athletics: Hmmmm. Tough call. I'm going with Bert Campanares.

Seattle Pilots: Ummm, Jim Bouton? Yep, it has to be.

St. Louis Browns: Probably Bill Veeck as the owner. Unless you go with Eddie Gaedel.

And I'm not going with the old Baltimore Orioles or old Milwaukee Brewers because there just aren't any faces attached to those clubs.

And I'm not going with the old Baltimore Orioles or old Milwaukee Brewers because there just aren't any faces attached to those clubs.

Wee Willie Keeler would beg to differ. :rolleyes:

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

For the Washington Nationals I'd have to say (putting aside Montreals history) Livan Hernandez. To me, he is Mr. National. Ryan Zimmerman is who they've tried to put over, Strasburg too, but Livan has always been there.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Archived