The face of each team

winghaz

For the Washington Nationals I'd have to say (putting aside Montreals history) Livan Hernandez. To me, he is Mr. National. Ryan Zimmerman is who they've tried to put over, Strasburg too, but Livan has always been there.

Zimmerman came up with the team in 2005, their first year in Washington.

Hernandez was traded to Arizona in 2007, and didn't come back until mid-way through 2009, so he's basically missed two whole seasons with the Nats.

Its one of those things that's very much a matter of opinion, but you can't put Livan over Zimmerman because he's had a longer tenure.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was the first Opening Day starter and pretty much leader in all pitching categories. When I think of the Nationals, I think of Livan Hernandez, and Chad Cordero but thats cause he was a big favorite of mine before he got let go.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

He was the first Opening Day starter and pretty much leader in all pitching categories. When I think of the Nationals, I think of Livan Hernandez, and Chad Cordero but thats cause he was a big favorite of mine before he got let go.

And yet another former Marlin.

Boy I tell ya, those Marlins... :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

And yet another former Marlin.

Boy I tell ya, those Marlins... :P

He also tore off one of the numbers on their countdown to their new stadium when we were down there. Marlins Legend.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The Browns should be George Sisler hands down. One of the greatest first baseman of all-time. Had he not come down with sinusitis he might have gone down as the greatest ever.

The St. Louis Browns were such a piss poor franchise that Sisler is almost forgotten in baseball. There is only one image that sums up the St. Louis Browns and its this.

EddieGaedel.jpg

Therefore the face of the Browns is Eddie Gaedel

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Browns should be George Sisler hands down. One of the greatest first baseman of all-time. Had he not come down with sinusitis he might have gone down as the greatest ever.

The St. Louis Browns were such a piss poor franchise that Sisler is almost forgotten in baseball. There is only one image that sums up the St. Louis Browns and its this.

EddieGaedel.jpg

Something I never understood about Eddie Gaedel - was he walked intentionally, or was the pitcher just unable to throw a strike due to the small strike zone? When I was a kid and I read about this, I wondered to myself why teams didn't just keep a midget (or even a few midgets) on their team in case they ever needed a walk. It sounds like I'm joking, but I really am curious about that.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

EddieGaedel.jpg

Something I never understood about Eddie Gaedel - was he walked intentionally, or was the pitcher just unable to throw a strike due to the small strike zone? When I was a kid and I read about this, I wondered to myself why teams didn't just keep a midget (or even a few midgets) on their team in case they ever needed a walk. It sounds like I'm joking, but I really am curious about that.

The pitcher was unable to throw strikes.

I don't think there was any formal rule against it but after the game Veeck was strongly admonished by then commisoner Landis.

To be fair though the Browns did suck, and its lived on in history so I don't think it was a bad idea.

Could also add Pete Gray to the list as well. I still stand behind my inital statement of Sisler though. The man hit .420 in 1922. I don't care how much of a joke the Browns were that is impressive.

Well, this is just my humble opinion list (put together by thinking of a team and writing down the first player that comes to mind):

AL West

Angels - Rod Carew. I know he spent alot of time in Minnesota, but when I think of the Angels, he seriously is the first player who comes to mind. Though outside of players, I always associate Mike Scosia and the Rally Monkey with the Angels.

Athletics - I got to be honest...for me, it's Jimmie Foxx. Its probably because I love the old eras of baseball, but Foxx comes first to me when thinking of the A's.

Mariners - Easy. Ken Griffey, Jr.

Rangers - Nolan Ryan, though in todays era, Josh Hamilton is making a push.

AL East

Blue Jays - I too think of Joe Carter, but Roberto Alomar I think is the better choice. Roy Halladay or Carlos Delgado aren't bad choices, either.

Orioles - Lots of possible choices, but Cal Ripken, Jr. Is first for me. Followed closely by Brooks Robinson.

Red Sox - Also lots of choices, but I don't think Ted Williams can be beat. Though you could ask a fan the same question 5-10 years from now, they may say Big Papi. I wouldn't, but I'm just saying some fans may associate him with the team more. Especiallly the younger fans.

Rays - for me, It's still Carl Crawford. It's strange as hell to see him in a Red Sox uniform.

Yankees - LOTS of good choices. But I think it's the Babe.

AL Central

Indians - I'd say Bob Feller. Lou Boudreau, possibly, but Feller was the first who came to mind.

Royals - Definetely George Brett.

Tigers - Ty Cobb is first for me, but Al Kaline and Hank Greenberg are VERY close behind. Charley Gehringer, too.

Twins - Harmon Killebrew. I know Kirby had a fantastic career, but Harmon made the Twins in his day.

White Sox - Oh boy, tough one. I'll go safe with Nellie Fox.

NL West

Diamondbacks - Luis Gonzalez or Randy Johnson.

Dodgers - Ah, my team! So many greats...but I'm gonna say Jackie Robinson. Pee Wee Reese would be right behind him, for me.

Giants - The Say Hey Kid! Willie Mays.

Padres - Tony Gwynn, definetely. I think of Dave Winfield too, but I cant put him ahead of Mr. Padre.

Rockies - Todd Helton. I have always viewed him as "Mr. Rockie", so to speak.

NL East

Braves - Hank Aaron is thier greatest player, but I personally think of both him and Eddie Mathews as a pair.

Marlins - Hmmm....Gosh i'm at a blank. Dontrelle Willis, I guess. His career was peaking when I was in middle school, so I saw alot of him.

Mets - I think Tom Seaver, though Gil Hodges as a manager could have a case, in my personal opinion.

Nationals - as the Expos, I'd say Gary Carter or Vlad Guerrero. As the Nats, I'd say Ryan Zimmerman.

Phillies - Mike Schmidt, though Richie Ashburn or Robin Roberts come to mind as well.

NL Central

Astros - Another tough one...I'd say Craig Biggio or Nolan Ryan. Jeff Bagwell comes to mind, too.

Brewers - Robin Yount, just ahead of Paul Molitor.

Cardinals - Stan "The Man" Musial. Though like Boston with perhaps Big Papi, fans nowadays or very soon could say Pujols.

Cubs - Ernie Banks, and I don't think there's too much competition besides maybe Ryne Sandberg or Billy Williams.

Pirates - It probably depends on which era you grew up in, but I'd say Roberto Clemente.

Reds - Very tough, but I think of Johnny Bench before anyone else.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Angels: Mike Scioscia

Athletics: Rickey Henderson

Mariners: Ken Griffey, Jr. (although Ichiro also has a strong case.)

Rangers: Nolan Ryan

Blue Jays: Carlos Delgado

Orioles: Cal Ripken, Jr.

Red Sox: Ted Williams

Rays: Wade Boggs (for lack of a better choice.)

Yankees: Donnie Mattingly

Indians: Bob Feller

Royals: George Brett

Tigers: Sparky Anderson

Twins: Kirby Puckett

White Sox: Ozzie Guillen

Diamondbacks: Luis Gonzalez

Dodgers: Jackie Robinson

Giants: Willie Mays

Padres: Tony Gwynn

Rockies: Larry Walker (or Todd Helton.)

Braves: Tom Glavine (or Hank Aaron.)

Marlins: Livan Hernandez (for lack of a better choice.)

Mets: Dwight Gooden

Expos/Nationals: Gary Carter

Phillies: Robin Roberts

Astros: Nolan Ryan (again!)

Brewers: Robin Yount

Cardinals: Albert Pujols

Cubs: Ernie Banks

Pirates: Roberto Clemente

Reds: Barry Larkin

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Like the NFL version, I'm going with what I think is the "true" face of the team, be it player, manager, stadium, whatever.

AL

Twins: Kirby Puckett; With all due respect to Harmon Killebrew, there are probably ten people in this entire community old enough to have actually seen him play. He was an all-time great but...

Yankees: Babe Ruth in a walk

Orioles: Cal Ripken Jr. in a walk

Red Sox: Red Sox fans and Fenway Park

Rays: None...yet.

Blue Jays: I'm going with Joe Carter

White Sox: Shoeless Joe Jackson or Frank Thomas

Tigers: Sparky Anderson

Indians: Bob Feller only because he never had the good sense to shut up and go away.

Royals: George Brett.

Angels: The Big A.

Rangers: Not having a "face" is their "face." In ten years it might be Josh Hamilton but not today.

Athletics: Canseco, McGwire, and LaRussa (although baseball historians might argue Connie Mack or Jimmie Foxx)

Mariners: Ken Griffey Jr.

NL

Braves: Hammerin' Hank and it ain't even close

Marlins: Jose Mesa and Charles Nagy

Mets: Tom Seaver.

Phillies: Mike Schmidt.

Nationals: Gary Carter.

Cubs: Let's play two. It's Mr. Cub in a rout.

Reds: Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, and Joe Morgan. (you can't mention one without the other two coming up)

Astros: Craig Biggio

Brewers: Robin Yount and Paul Molitor. (see Reds, Cincinnati)

Pirates: Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell. (see Reds, Cincinnati and Brewers, Milwaukee)

Cardinals: Stan the Man. Don't even need a last name there.

Diamondbacks: Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling (see...never mind, you get it)

Rockies: Coors Field and the thin air

Dodgers: Jackie Robinson in Brooklyn. Tommy Lasorda in L.A.

Giants: Willie Mays

Padres: Tony Gwynn.

BB52Big.jpg

Given the unsavory nature of how and why the Ballpark in Arlington was developed and the general harbinger-ness of it, would you accept George W. Bush as the face of the Rangers?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Names is parenthesis are the names that came to mind at first...some are a bit strange

Angels - Tim Salmon

A's - Rickey Henderson (Dave Stewart)

Mariners - Ken Griffey Jr.

Rangers - Nolan Ryan (Pudge Rodriguez)

Blue Jays - Joe Carter (Juan Guzman)

Orioles - Cal Ripken, Jr.

Yankees - Babe Ruth (Jeter)

Red Sox - Ted Williams (Wade Boggs)

Rays - Carl Crawford

Indians - Bob Feller (Carlos Baerga)

Royals - George Brett (Brian McRae)

White Sox - Frank Thomas

Tigers - Al Kaline (Alan Trammell)

Twins - Kirby Puckett

Phillies - Mike Schmidt (John Kruk)

Mets - Tom Seaver (Darryl Strawberry)

Braves - Hanke Aaron (Greg Maddux)

Nationals/Expos - Vladimir Guerrero

Marlins - Jeff Conine (Edgar Renteria)

Cardinals - Stan Musial (Pujols)

Cubs - Ernie Banks (Sammy Sosa)

Brewers - Robin Yount (Greg Vaughn)

Astros - Craig Biggio

Pirates - Roberto Clemente (Jay Bell)

Reds - Pete Rose (Barry Larkin)

D'Backs - Luis Gonzalez (Quinton McCracken)

Rockies - Larry Walker (Andres Galarraga)

Giants - Willie Mays (Will Clark)

Dodgers - Jackie Robinson (Mike Piazza)

Padres - Tony Gwynn

Mariners: Ken Griffey, Jr. (although Ichiro also has a strong case.)

Just fyi, Ichiro ain't as big here as he used to be. Edgar Martinez would be MUCH more of a face than Ichiro. Just sayin'. rolleyes.gif

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

My Take.

AL

Twins: Killebrew

Yankees: The Babe

Orioles: Ripken

Red Sox: Ted WIlliams

Rays: So far, Carl Crawford. In 5 years, it'll be Longoria.

Blue Jays: Robby Alomar (Trust me. Carter is remembered for the homer and dancing around the infield in 92-93, but most Jays fans recognize those as Robby's Teams)

White Sox: Frank Thomas

Tigers: Ty Cobb

Indians: Bob Feller

Royals: George Brett

Angels: Tim Salmon

Rangers: Nolan Ryan

Athletics: Rickey

Mariners: Ken Griffey Jr., but Ichiro is dang close.

NL

Braves: Aaron

Marlins: Jeff Conine

Mets: Tom Seaver

Phillies: Mike Schmidt

Nationals: Zimmerman / Expos: Carter

Cubs: Ernie Banks

Reds: Pete Rose

Astros: Bagwell

Brewers: Yount

Pirates: Clemente

Cardinals: Bob Gibson

Diamondbacks: Randy Johnson

Rockies: Larry Walker

Dodgers: Jackie Robinson

Giants: Mays

Padres: Gwynn

Landis was not Comish in 1951 it was Happy Chandler but after Gaedel it was outlawed so no more midgets.

In retaliation, Veeck put in a request to the commish to have Phil Rizzuto officially measured to make sure he wasn't a midget. <_<

Given the unsavory nature of how and why the Ballpark in Arlington was developed and the general harbinger-ness of it, would you accept George W. Bush as the face of the Rangers?

Please detail.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Bill Veeck was so much fun, Rizzuto was the reigning AL MVP at that time. There was talk of Bill Murry doing a movie about him but it never happened. I think that movie would have been a classic.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived