Red Sox and Cubs to Wear 1918 Throwbacks This Saturday

Audiodrama

What's this? People making FUN of the Cubs and their fans?!

:rolleyes: some people need to realize this is nothing new and it's really low and ignorant of them to think they're putting a fresh coat of paint on trolling a fan base/franchise that has been in the crapper for decades.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my defense, most of my friends are Cubs fans and I'm planning on going to Wrigley this summer (it doesn't even have to be for a game against the Reds).

I don't think they will wear the home version. I can see a fauxback hybrid of the two- white with red sox font and red pinstripes. Reason being? They won't be able to sell a completely blank uniform and caps to fans.

From the press release:

The Red Sox home uniform will be a blank button-up with no lettering and a slight off-white or ivory color. The hat will also have a blank off-white tint, and the socks will be a three-part white/red/white composition. The Red Sox used this uniform and hat combination as their primary home look for most of the 1910s, and did not have any lettering on the front of their uniform for the bulk of that decade and the entire 1920s. The team did not wear the familiar blue cap with a red ?B? until the early 1930s.

I stand corrected sir.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

:rolleyes: some people need to realize this is nothing new and it's really low and ignorant of them to think they're putting a fresh coat of paint on trolling a fan base/franchise that has been in the crapper for decades.

From a Clipper fan, get used to it. The Clips are finally starting to become relevant and now the same Laker homers who called them "trash" for so many years are now telling us fans their big plan to get Blake Griffin in 2012. Cubs fans and Clippers fans are similar - in the eyes of the general, ignorant sports fan, we can't win.

Anyway, I still can't believe somebody actually greenlighted that blank jersey (and hat) for the Red Sox. It's going to look hellishly awful.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I've seen the John Goodman movie 'The Babe' several times, so I remember those throwback uniforms they'll be wearing. The CUBS version should be quite interesting.

I've seen the movie "Major League" several times, so I feel I Know the full history of the Indians almost moving to Tampa.

My point was, in the movie 'The Babe', it was portrayed in the film when Ruth was a rookie with the RED SOX in 1914 and they were wearing the same 1910s home uniforms that they'll be wearing on Saturday.

and in the movie 'Major League' the bitchy owner was trying to get the INDIANS moved to Miami, not Tampa. Perhaps you should try watching it again .. <_<

Those 1906 White Sox throwbacks are neat. They have white socks! Automatic success.

Actually, the graphic was incorrect. Those unis were worn with black socks (Thome and Crede were the only ones who showed them) and black helmets, despite the fact that the jerseys featured navy.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Here's a snapshot of the uni's, as featured on tonight's NESN broadcast.

http://yfrog.com/z/h3un1ylj

No NOB, and the numerals are plain block font, almost identical to that of a replica jersey.

Boo. Would much rather preferred it if they went with one-color current numbers for both.

Oh well. At least they got the collars right.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Here's a snapshot of the uni's, as featured on tonight's NESN broadcast.

http://yfrog.com/z/h3un1ylj

No NOB, and the numerals are plain block font, almost identical to that of a replica jersey.

Boo. Would much rather preferred it if they went with one-color current numbers for both.

Oh well. At least they got the collars right.

And I'd rather they not put numbers on at all. Baseball is the one sport where they are really not needed anyway (or, not needed as much), so surely they could have done some sort of work around.

Really, the only concern is relief pitchers warming up, and they could have done something like make a team announce to the other team who is warming up when guys get up and down.

Those 1906 White Sox throwbacks are neat. They have white socks! Automatic success.

Actually, the graphic was incorrect. Those unis were worn with black socks (Thome and Crede were the only ones who showed them) and black helmets, despite the fact that the jerseys featured navy.

Well, maybe they were also paying tribute to the 1919 club .. wink2.gif

Seriously tho', when you have a throwback as quality as that, it's an injustice not to keep it around as a weekend home alternate. Did they only wear them for 1 game back in '06?? Photos of the actual game are too hard to find. I just happen to remember seeing them wearing them the day after, and I can't find a photo. I so wished I had saved it. I remember seeing the pitcher wearing it, and the buttons on the jersey didn't go all the way down.

I hate when clubs don't make matching batting helmets to go with the throwback jerseys.

Thome1906FancyJersey.jpg

You do realize that there's already nothing on the front of the Red Sox jersey, right? You basically want them to step out in plain hats and jerseys with nothing on them, which would look awful.

And people wonder why the CCSLC is generalized as "boring" and "stuck in the mud."

xLmjWVv.png

You do realize that there's already nothing on the front of the Red Sox jersey, right? You basically want them to step out in plain hats and jerseys with nothing on them, which would look awful.

And people wonder why the CCSLC is generalized as "boring" and "stuck in the mud."

IT'S ONE THROWBACK GAME THAT'S IT THEY'RE NOT GOING TO COMMEMORATE THE 1918 WORLD SERIES IN SUBLIMATED WOLF T-SHIRTS ENOUGH ALREADY

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

IT'S ONE THROWBACK GAME THAT'S IT THEY'RE NOT GOING TO COMMEMORATE THE 1918 WORLD SERIES IN SUBLIMATED WOLF T-SHIRTS ENOUGH ALREADY

I'm not expecting a modern uniform for a throwback night. But a completely plain jersey/hat combo would just look hideous on the field in my opinion. I don't see what's the problem with stating my opinion on the uniform in question. This is precisely what I'm talking about with the whole "shutting down someone's opinion for an arbitrary reason" thing.

xLmjWVv.png

Aside from the number on back issue, I see three problems with the Cubs throwbacks:

1) short sleeves rather than 3/4

2) only the blue stripe on the top rather than a second stripe mid shin

3) structured cap

nl_1918_chicago.gif

I'm not expecting a modern uniform for a throwback night. But a completely plain jersey/hat combo would just look hideous on the field in my opinion. I don't see what's the problem with stating my opinion on the uniform in question. This is precisely what I'm talking about with the whole "shutting down someone's opinion for an arbitrary reason" thing.

Um, seems like you're the one shutting down my opinion. All I said was that I didn't see what the big deal was about going sans number for one game and you had a conniption about it.

But the point of these throwbacks isn't about the looks. If that were the case, the Red Sox would have come up with some faux-back that had a logo on the jersey and hat. I wish they would have gone with no numbers. It would add to the authenticity and it's not like you need them in baseball.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm not expecting a modern uniform for a throwback night. But a completely plain jersey/hat combo would just look hideous on the field in my opinion.

Maybe (though I suspect a plain uniform is just too plain to be "hideous," per se), but lots of one-off throwback nights are hideous. I think the novelty of going completely name/number/everythingless for one night would've made for a memorable game, which is what you'd like a throwback game to be. The perfect example is the telecast of the Braves/Cubs 1948 game. They did a few innings in B/W with circa-'48 camera work. It was nuts! I couldn't see the game like I was used to seeing it, the angles were all weird, the picture was bad, it was not an optimal viewing occasion, but it sure as hell was cool for [part of] one day. Perhaps they could've been creative in communicating who was in the bullpen and so forth with big placards or something. They could've made it work, had some fun with it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived