2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

The report is the Big 12 is rallying support for a plus-one after this year. A plus-one would work this year - so long as the other two were Arkansas and South Carolina. Can't let inferior teams play for it, after all.

First off, what report?

Secondly... You know what, I'm not taking the bait. You just want someone to fall into your stupid little game... No. Not worth my time.

Serious report:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/12/06/plus-one-playoff/index.html

But it's hard to deny just how good South Carolina and Arkansas are.

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BREAKING: Multiple sources confirming that Arizona State will NOT hire June Jones.

Apparently the massive backlash from fans and boosters has had the ASU Athletic department back off and break talks with Jones.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

BREAKING: Multiple sources confirming that Arizona State will NOT hire June Jones.

Apparently the massive backlash from fans and boosters has had the ASU Athletic department back off and break talks with Jones.

Seems that way across campus, especially in our offices...NO ONE seems happy about Jones (not even a bit). All I can share for now.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

A coach just got un-hired due to to FAN BACKLASH? That's gotta be a first, right?

6uXNWAo.png

A coach just got un-hired due to to FAN BACKLASH? That's gotta be a first, right?

Keep in mind these are the same people that were lauding the Dennis Erickson hire in the first place...

this is why fans suck.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

From what I know its not completely off, but donor backlash and unspecified questions are the issue at hand.

Well it's not just fans, it's the people paying the money in the boosters.

Like AJM said, everyone I know at ASU doesn't like it. Not a single person in the media (fans reacting on radio or the personalities themselves) like it. NO ONE wanted Jones as the next coach. Especially with the names that have been in mind and the names that have already been missed on.

There's still a lot to come from Tempe.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Well it's not just fans, it's the people paying the money in the boosters.

Like AJM said, everyone I know at ASU doesn't like it. Not a single person in the media (fans reacting on radio or the personalities themselves) like it. NO ONE wanted Jones as the next coach. Especially with the names that have been in mind and the names that have already been missed on.

So what does Arizona State do from here? -- Just throw out the name of the next person on their list and see if that person gains the public's approval? :wacko:

6uXNWAo.png

The report is the Big 12 is rallying support for a plus-one after this year. A plus-one would work this year - so long as the other two were Arkansas and South Carolina. Can't let inferior teams play for it, after all.

First off, what report?

Secondly... You know what, I'm not taking the bait. You just want someone to fall into your stupid little game... No. Not worth my time.

Serious report:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/12/06/plus-one-playoff/index.html

But it's hard to deny just how good South Carolina and Arkansas are.

yea sure, when Kansas st whips the hogs then you will retract that statement remember only 2 wins vs winning teams for the hogs and sc cant score points to save there life....quit being in love with the SEC cause the media tells u to be...

Woops, I kind of deleted the post I was responding to when quoting. Anyway, just ignore willmorris.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Woops, I kind of deleted the post I was responding to when quoting. Anyway, just ignore willmorris.

23268_122909094406800_2809_n.jpg

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

According to the agent for June Jones http://blog.steinbergsports.com/post/13890351947/bizarre-experience-in-negotiating

Just had one of the most bizarre endings to a set of productive discussions to bring a client to a new situation. Everything was set,few tweaks left,and the principal decision maker yanks the deal w no real explanation.

Funny. If everyone had listened to the SEC back in 2008, we wouldn't be in this mess.

2008? If I remember it right, that year was all sorts of crazy in terms of who should play for the BCS title, wasn't it? What did they say that year?

2008 was the year the SEC put up a Plus-One system in place of the BCS. Their reasoning was from Auburn getting snubbed for the National Championship back in 2004, but they also wanted to help the other conferences. Under their proposal, the plus-one system would have been implemented in 2010, it would include the top 4 teams, 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, playing in two bowls and then the winners of those two games play in the National Championship. Only one other commissioner (I believe it was the ACC Commish) was down with it. The other conferences said it would prolong the season and tick off the bowl committee.

I wonder why they've changed their minds.

Funny. If everyone had listened to the SEC back in 2008, we wouldn't be in this mess.

2008? If I remember it right, that year was all sorts of crazy in terms of who should play for the BCS title, wasn't it? What did they say that year?

2008 was the year the SEC put up a Plus-One system in place of the BCS. Their reasoning was from Auburn getting snubbed for the National Championship back in 2004, but they also wanted to help the other conferences. Under their proposal, the plus-one system would have been implemented in 2010, it would include the top 4 teams, 1 v 4 and 2 v 3, playing in two bowls and then the winners of those two games play in the National Championship. Only one other commissioner (I believe it was the ACC Commish) was down with it. The other conferences said it would prolong the season and tick off the bowl committee.

Hilarious...it wouldn't have extended the season at all. I guess extending the season wasn't a concern when the cabal added that 12th game 5 years ago?

That's still the best proposal that the Powers That Be have come up with, IMO. A Plus-One system would've been fantastic for this season.

That's still the best proposal that the Powers That Be have come up with, IMO. A Plus-One system would've been fantastic for this season.

I'll never be satisfied until we adapt what the FCS does, but for now, that seems like a good step forward. The question is, who would be the 4th team? Stanford didn't even win their division, and they got blown out by Oregon, Oregon lost the USC at home, Arkansas is vastly overrated, and Boise couldn't beat TCU. IMO, I would put WIsconsin, but they're #10 right now. If you want to go conference champions, then unfortunately, Oregon would be the 4th team, even though they rated way too high right now. Although a LSU - Oregon redux would be interesting, and dammit Alabama - OSU would be one of the most entertaining games in sports history.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Archived