2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Al Golden's voting privileges should be revoked.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-final-coaches-ballots/51647436/1

Look at his ACC voting, in regards to Clemson and Virginia Tech especially...along with a few other questionable rankings.

I'm not convinced Crackalacky sans Andiambro is top ten material either. I think they're realistically hovering in the teens at the moment.

We were better before Garcia?

At any rate, I've thought we were over-ranked at certain portions of the season and after certain games...but I have to remember "just win" and 10-2 sounds good in any fashion- especially for what I've had to endure over my life as a fan/alumnus. Our two losses were to Arkansas (Top 10) and Auburn (eh, it was a pathetic showing and Garcia's last hoorah). We also crushed the ACC Champion, which I admit, doesn't say a lot.

With that said, I'm happy as a dog with two dicks for the season we put together after losing a starting QB and one of the best RB's in the nation...we also lost our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th RBs along the way- and found a runner in Brandon Wilds.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you were better with Garcia. South Carolina is a clear #5 of the 5 good teams in the SEC without him.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think you were better with Garcia. South Carolina is a clear #5 of the 5 good teams in the SEC without him.

Whenever Garcia was good- we were really good...he was able to get the ball to Alshon Jeffrey like no other, and many times- it was all it took for a score when in the red zone.

However, he was just really unpredictable. This season was just pitiful and I felt really bad for him...to see a 5th senior playing like a sophomore just wasn't going to cut it.

Shaw still has a lot of time to progress and he is a thread with running the ball. He also doesn't have that "hero" mentality that put Garcia in a lot of trouble and caused big mistakes.

Oh well, he is gone now- I'm still hoping to run into him around Tampa so I can buy him a beer.

EDIT: I'm assuming Georgia, a team we beat, is clearly taking that 5th spot in your mind?

Looks like RGIII has a good shot, which is cool. He's been awesome and the idea of someone from Baylor winning it is nice.

I'm pulling for him personally. I think he has a pretty good shot, and like you said, the idea of a guy from BAYLOR winning it is really cool. It'd certainly sweeten a rather bitter end to the college football season for me, personally.

And mind you, that's all coming from a big Andrew Luck fan. I'd be pushing for him, but I really don't think he had the season he needed to win it. Not so much a disappointing season, but I expected him to do a lot better. My honest prediction is that it will be between RGIII and Trent Richardson, and that it'll be close. Maybe not Ingram-Gerhardt close, but it'll be interesting.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Whenever Garcia was good- we were really good...he was able to get the ball to Alshon Jeffrey like no other, and many times- it was all it took for a score when in the red zone.

However, he was just really unpredictable. This season was just pitiful and I felt really bad for him...to see a 5th senior playing like a sophomore just wasn't going to cut it.

Shaw still has a lot of time to progress and he is a thread with running the ball. He also doesn't have that "hero" mentality that put Garcia in a lot of trouble and caused big mistakes.

Oh well, he is gone now- I'm still hoping to run into him around Tampa so I can buy him a beer.

EDIT: I'm assuming Georgia, a team we beat, is clearly taking that 5th spot in your mind?

I think Georgia smokes your ass if you play that game today. You only won by 3 with Garcia (and a little bit of Georgia herp derp) I look at it this way. Crackalacky is the only one of the SEC 5 to actually lose to one of their in-conference lessers this season in Auburn-a team that got curb stomped by the other 4. You also weren't that impressive against poor Tennessee, barely eke out a win over Mississippi State, and of course, Arkansas kicked your :censored: in. That makes you #5 in my book.

Looks like RGIII has a good shot, which is cool. He's been awesome and the idea of someone from Baylor winning it is nice.

I'm pulling for him personally. I think he has a pretty good shot, and like you said, the idea of a guy from BAYLOR winning it is really cool. It'd certainly sweeten a rather bitter end to the college football season for me, personally.

And mind you, that's all coming from a big Andrew Luck fan. I'd be pushing for him, but I really don't think he had the season he needed to win it. Not so much a disappointing season, but I expected him to do a lot better. My honest prediction is that it will be between RGIII and Trent Richardson, and that it'll be close. Maybe not Ingram-Gerhardt close, but it'll be interesting.

Without RGIII Baylor's a 4 win team. You can't tell me Trent Richardson is worth 5 wins for Alabama.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Without RGIII Baylor's a 4 win team. You can't tell me Trent Richardson is worth 5 wins for Alabama.

You're forgetting that Heisman voters for some reason will almost always give the rub to the best player on a team that's headed to the title game, at least in the BCS era (unless a player just has a crazy season like Tebow or builds up a ridiculous career resume like Ricky Williams or Ron Dayne). That alone is probably gonna turn the title race into a close one (and maybe put Luck into the conversation as well due to the career resume argument), despite the fact that RGIII should be the runaway favorite to win the trophy considering the fact that he took freaking Baylor to 9 wins.

Count me in on the RG3 for Heisman train. I was a big Luck fan last year for what he did with Stanford and thought he'd win easily this year, but he hasn't impressed me with his passing as much as I would have hoped. The flop against Oregon didn't help. My "make believe" Heisman ballot goes:

1. - RG3 (Best player in college football this year)

2. - Luck (Taking Stanford to two straight BCS games)

3. - Richardson (Great player, highlight reel runs, but Alabama wins with or without him)

4. - Ball (Inflated stats from poor competition, but still, 38 touchdowns!)

5. - Blackmon (Great statistical year... for a WR)

The Honey Badger is left off my list because I don't believe a Heisman candidate should be suspended from his team for failing his teams drug policy. Besides, he may not be the best defensive back LSU has. He does, however, appear to be one of the frontrunners for next year's Heisman race, provided the Mad Hatter gets him some touches on offense (ala, Woodson in '96).

I think Georgia smokes your ass if you play that game today. You only won by 3 with Garcia (and a little bit of Georgia herp derp) I look at it this way. Crackalacky is the only one of the SEC 5 to actually lose to one of their in-conference lessers this season in Auburn-a team that got curb stomped by the other 4. You also weren't that impressive against poor Tennessee, barely eke out a win over Mississippi State, and of course, Arkansas kicked your :censored: in. That makes you #5 in my book.

Your opinion is noted, but luckily no one reads your book; we can only play the games and that is what counts. The Capital One Bowl must not had seen us as the 5th best team seeing as they had first pick among Arkansas, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Once you realize that a win, whether pretty or ugly, is a win...then you could have really spared me 90% of your reply. 12 games won by a total of 12 points is going to put you in the NCG before a team with 10 wins by a total of 100.

Your opinion is noted, but luckily no one reads your book; we can only play the games and that is what counts. The Capital One Bowl must not had seen us as the 5th best team seeing as they had first pick among Arkansas, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Once you realize that a win, whether pretty or ugly, is a win...then you could have really spared me 90% of your reply. 12 games won by a total of 12 points is going to put you in the NCG before a team with 10 wins by a total of 100.

So long as you win your conference.

LvZYtbZ.png

But you guys didn't win 12 games. You won 10. And the two loses were ugly. You guys got blown out by a very overrated Arkansas team.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

But you guys didn't win 12 games. You won 10. And the two loses were ugly. You guys got blown out by a very overrated Arkansas team.

It really is hard to take you seriously when discussing football with your avatar and signature...how old are you, out of curiosity. At any rate...

I didn't say we won 12 games. Where did you read that? I was making a point, that I thought would be inferred easily, that winning 12 games by 1 point each (12 x 1 = 12) and being undefeated...is undefeated no matter how you want to write it out.

How do you consider them overrated? If they are overrated, then Oregon should be ranked right next to them. South Carolina lost by 16 points to Arkansas- borderline "blow out" by most standards, but at any rate- the game was never out of hand until the final minutes. You probably didn't even watch the game.

Actually, I just realized something a bit off topic. 3 conference champions (Pac 12, Big East, and ACC) all lost (I used that word loosely) to an SEC team.

Once you realize that a win, whether pretty or ugly, is a win...

Actually, I just realized something a bit off topic. 3 conference champions (Pac 12, Big East, and ACC) all lost (I used that word loosely) to an SEC team.

Nothing like talking out both sides of your mouth. B)

BB52Big.jpg

I thought about that as I was typing it, but I was making two different points. My first was in defense of a loss or win being just that, no matter the differential.

In my second, I was just trying to add icing to the cake. :P

I thought about that as I was typing it, but I was making two different points. My first was in defense of a loss or win being just that, no matter the differential.

In my second, I was just trying to add icing to the cake. :P

Fair enough.

BB52Big.jpg

It really is hard to take you seriously when discussing football with your avatar and signature...how old are you, out of curiosity. At any rate...

I didn't say we won 12 games. Where did you read that? I was making a point, that I thought would be inferred easily, that winning 12 games by 1 point each (12 x 1 = 12) and being undefeated...is undefeated no matter how you want to write it out.

How do you consider them overrated? If they are overrated, then Oregon should be ranked right next to them. South Carolina lost by 16 points to Arkansas- borderline "blow out" by most standards, but at any rate- the game was never out of hand until the final minutes. You probably didn't even watch the game.

They almost lost to Ole MIss and Troy. Both of those teams suck miserably. And they didn't just lose to the #1 and #2 teams, they got absolutely demolished by them. Would you make that same point if, say, a 10-2 Sun Belt had those kind of loses? Hey, they lost to the #1 and #2 teams! Plus, I have watched their games, and that is why I'm saying they're overrated. They have no good wins except for South Carolina, and you guys have close wins against Navy, ECU (who was walloping you at one point in that game), Miss State, and you let the Citadel score 20 points on you.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Archived