Brewers "Cerveceros" Jersey

kbaker19

The much hated 90s uniforms I'm seeing more and more at the ballpark. Hell I even like them now :) Motre Bame is back!

Okay, speaking as somebody who thinks 96-99 was just about the best look the Brewers ever had, I don't think those were ever "hated", to say nothing of "much hated." They just weren't the classic look.

All of the hatred I know of for the 90s unis was linked to the pitiful teams that wore them. I'd put them right up there with the late 90s/ early 00s Bengals uniforms... gorgeous looks that were sullied by piss poor performance.

And "ambivalent" is the perfect word to describe the collective attitude of Brewers fans towards the current identity. Of course, if I'm Brewers management, that's still probably not what I'd want my fanbase to think about it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers' current look is better than all of their previous looks, and it's not even close.

Though I agree that the angled script on the jerseys looks odd; it looks much better on the primary logo.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm curious as to why you think it's "not even close." There's plenty of problems with the current unis including many that haven't even come up in this thread (the extraneous 90s-style dropshadows, the way the metallic gold washes out against the greys, the standard MS Word number font, etc.). The worst thing you could say about the BiG-era uniforms is that they're relatively generic.

Despite my love for the BiG, I'll easily admit the best the Brewers ever looked was in the late 90s, but no way are those ever coming back for anything but a TBTC night.

The much hated 90s uniforms I'm seeing more and more at the ballpark. Hell I even like them now :) Motre Bame is back!

Okay, speaking as somebody who thinks 96-99 was just about the best look the Brewers ever had, I don't think those were ever "hated", to say nothing of "much hated." They just weren't the classic look.

All of the hatred I know of for the 90s unis was linked to the pitiful teams that wore them. I'd put them right up there with the late 90s/ early 00s Bengals uniforms... gorgeous looks that were sullied by piss poor performance.

And "ambivalent" is the perfect word to describe the collective attitude of Brewers fans towards the current identity. Of course, if I'm Brewers management, that's still probably not what I'd want my fanbase to think about it.

Not being a Brewers fan, that seems likely. The late '90s set was excellent. However, the Brewers were supposed to wear blue and athletic yellow. The fans love that look because they grew up with it. Those colors and uniforms are what the fans identify with. If the Germanic uniforms and logos were the same, but in blue and yellow, they would have had a chance at longevity. However, seeing as that look was so short lived and the teams stunk, it will be forgotten.

I think you can design great uniforms for any team. However, if they are a big departure look-wise and color-wise, they wouldn't work. For example, I'm sure someone could make a great set of non-pinstriped Yankees unis with red or gray prominently featured, or a Celtics set incorporating orange. No matter how good each might look in its own right, they wouldn't work for those teams. An example for me is the previous set of Chargers unis. Those unis were excellent. The look was damn near perfect (when the striped socks were worn with the navy pants). However, the light blue set was at least as good, but the fans associated with it more. It's a good problem to have, but the Chargers should have gone back to the light blue look. So, what did the Chargers do? Ditch both sets and came up with a horrible futuristic mish-mash, but that is besides the point.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not being a Brewers fan, that seems likely. The late '90s set was excellent. However, the Brewers were supposed to wear blue and athletic yellow. The fans love that look because they grew up with it. Those colors and uniforms are what the fans identify with. If the Germanic uniforms and logos were the same, but in blue and yellow, they would have had a chance at longevity. However, seeing as that look was so short lived and the teams stunk, it will be forgotten.

I completely agree. I always meant to do a concept of the Motre Bame unis in the "classic" Brewers colors, but haven't been able to find a good enough copy of the numbers or scripts (I know the mothership has the original scripts, but I prefer the 97-99 version that was more timeless IMHO). Even though I liked that look on its own, they just don't look like the Brewers without royal & yellow.

I completely agree. I always meant to do a concept of the Motre Bame unis in the "classic" Brewers colors, but haven't been able to find a good enough copy of the numbers or scripts (I know the mothership has the original scripts, but I prefer the 97-99 version that was more timeless IMHO). Even though I liked that look on its own, they just don't look like the Brewers without royal & yellow.

I know you like the "Motre Bame" style, but which are you referring to? There was a Gen. 1 where the B and the S were larger on the home/alt. jerseys, and the M and final E were larger on the roads (with a green visor on the hat). The Gen. 2 had a consistent letter height throughout, added numbers on the front, and the hat was just the letter M.

I know it's a bit blasphemous, but I have a tendency to mix the two eras to create my own version. This was taken in 2007.

n2009588_40441270_8613.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I know you like the "Motre Bame" style, but which are you referring to? There was a Gen. 1 where the B and the S were larger on the home/alt. jerseys, and the M and final E were larger on the roads (with a green visor on the hat). The Gen. 2 had a consistent letter height throughout, added numbers on the front, and the hat was just the letter M.

Uhh... :P

brewersby94.jpg

I could get on board with this. Ideally, I'd like some kind of tailed script like they had in early '90s, but I bet the redesign would've avoided a lot of the stigma if it had kept the classic blue and gold (and the ball in glove, natch). I think it looks a little better with the blue outline only because yellow gets lost on white without the blue pinstripes. Better than the darkened/faded blue and gold, in my opinion.

EDIT: come to think of it, while the bottom double-outlined lettering would've been better on plain whites, no reason why the top one wouldn't have worked on pinstripes. Figure that it's more or less the classic '82 block script, just with more Milwaukeean lettering.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

brewersby94.jpg

I could get on board with this. Ideally, I'd like some kind of tailed script like they had in early '90s, but I bet the redesign would've avoided a lot of the stigma if it had kept the classic blue and gold (and the ball in glove, natch). I think it looks a little better with the blue outline only because yellow gets lost on white without the blue pinstripes. Better than the darkened/faded blue and gold, in my opinion.

EDIT: come to think of it, while the bottom double-outlined lettering would've been better on plain whites, no reason why the top one wouldn't have worked on pinstripes.Figure that it's more or less the classic '82 block script, just with more Milwaukeean lettering.

That's the exact reason I prefer the 97-99 script that's not on the mothership (well, it is, but its an actual photo, not a graphic). Had they introduced that in 1994 with the classic colors, it'd have been easily accepted by the fans as the next evolution of the Brewers look. Instead you have a team in navy and metallic gold and a grandstand full of fans in royal, yellow and powder blue.

You're right, the blue outline isn't necessary, but I still prefer it as it helps the yellow stand out better (observe the yellow on the cuffs and waist of the Hammer's uniform compared to the script/number outline).

And MAN do I hope someone has those vectors! :D

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. That extra outline ruins it for me, makes the whole thing too busy and makes me see a moiré pattern.

A problem I have with the current wordmark - why does it need two dropshadows?

After looking at the primary logo's wordmark and the home uniform's wordmark, the logo wordmark has one drop shadow, while the home wordmark has two drop shadows. What a mess of an identity. Just a few tweaks and it could be good/great.

If anybody has the '94 vectors, I'll work up the later, better, wordmarks.

Unless ColorWerx has them in his files.

A blue outline is unnecessary; royal with gold outline looks every bit as good on a white jersey as it does on pinstripes.

hank-aaron.jpg

This, to me, is Milwaukee Brewers baseball. Change to a button-up jersey instead of double-knit and I think we have a winning uniform.

Uhh... :P

I really disliked the stomach patch on the first generation. The second set was better. The thick piping (which looked silly to me at the time) was nice and unique. The M hat logo was better than the MB, also. The only thing they needed to do to the second set is incorporate more green, such as a green brimmed cap home and road and a green outer outline on the jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You're right, the blue outline isn't necessary, but I still prefer it as it helps the yellow stand out better (observe the yellow on the cuffs and waist of the Hammer's uniform compared to the script/number outline).

I think I've got all of the graphics from that era...

I think I've got all of the graphics from that era...

PLEASE post them... and the numbers if possible. You have no idea how long I've been wanting to do a "What the Brewers should have done in 1994" concept.

^ I'll be waiting for those graphics as well.

*please please prettyprettyplease...*

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived