Islanders, Nassau County announce lease agreement

Dexter Morgan

Moving to Windsor would be incredibly stupid given that the majority of season ticketholders live in Michigan and would thus need to cross an international border for every game. (Though I have it on good account that you can get waved through into Detroit if you tell the border agent you're just going to the Wings game.) Everything else you said is correct.

I don't think it would be smart either and think talks would have to completely break down for it to even be considered, but I do see it as a very small possibility. Especially considering what I've seen now with teams moving. I wouldn't discount anything.

Think the Pistons will give in first though and move in with the Wings.

Well, hopefully the Red Wings can remain in Detroit. It would be an absolute tragedy for the Red Wings to relocate, while the suck-ass Lions, and to a lesser extent Tigers get brand new digs.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they're going anywhere. Going to Auburn Hills would be just as damaging to their Windsor/Downriver STH base, because there's no quick and easy way to get from the river to Auburn Hills, just as there's no quick and easy way to get from anywhere to anywhere in metro Detroit. This is what happens when you have a metropolis designed by people who want you to keep buying new cars.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't think they're going anywhere. Going to Auburn Hills would be just as damaging to their Windsor/Downriver STH base, because there's no quick and easy way to get from the river to Auburn Hills, just as there's no quick and easy way to get from anywhere to anywhere in metro Detroit. This is what happens when you have a metropolis designed by people who want you to keep buying new cars.

I-75 straight north to exit 81?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Never been to Detroit, but I've heard traffic is bad but not terrible.

Also it doesen't seem like alot of people live in Detroit itself. The city only has a population of about 720K while the metro area is over 4 million. If they were to build a public transportation system that population figure would probably go up and you would see alot more money coming into Detroit in terms of tax revenues and the city wouldn't suck as much as it does, but that's another topic altogether.

The Lions drew well when they played in Pontiac, Pistons seem to be doing well in Auburn Hills. Can't see why the Wings wouldn't do well either if they were to move there. Kind of surprised they haven't already considering the state Joe Louis Arena is in.

Metropolitan_Detroit_Map.gif

A great deal of Red Wings STHs are said to be in the downriver suburbs (Woodhaven, Wyandotte), Windsor, and the Grosse Pointes. For them (especially the Canadians), the Joe is a much better destination than the Palace. Now, if Cobo Hall gets renovated and the Joe goes away, then they'll pretty much have to play at the Palace until the mythical New Olympia is constructed, and they'll get by out there, but it seems like Ilitch would much rather be downtown. He is, after all, the only person in the world who still believes in Detroit.

Besides, Ilitch was never going to move the Wings to Auburn Hills while Bill Davidson was alive. He has/had strange blood feuds with Bill Davidson and Peter Karmanos (that one, I get, because Karmanos is a piece of crap).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also it doesen't seem like alot of people live in Detroit itself. The city only has a population of about 720K while the metro area is over 4 million. If they were to build a public transportation system that population figure would probably go up and you would see alot more money coming into Detroit in terms of tax revenues and the city wouldn't suck as much as it does, but that's another topic altogether.

The Lions drew well when they played in Pontiac, Pistons seem to be doing well in Auburn Hills. Can't see why the Wings wouldn't do well either if they were to move there. Kind of surprised they haven't already considering the state Joe Louis Arena is in.

Part of the reason why metro Detroit (and other cities) have lesser public transport systems is due to Detroit's auto companies. GM (along with energy corporations) bought electric street cars companies/systems.

Part of the reason why metro Detroit (and other cities) have lesser public transport systems is due to Detroit's auto companies. GM (along with energy corporations) bought electric street cars companies/systems.

Like I said another topic altogether. Same thing happened with LA and they are only just now starting to actually invest in a public transportation system.

• 1 month later...

It never had a chance. Anyone who knows anything about Nassau county politics could have told you that.

I'm actually surprised the vote was as close as it was. I was expecting a double digit defeat which may still happen after they count up all the votes.

Fully expect to start hearing even more rumors about Charles Wang selling the team. Don't think this was any more then a last ditch effort to keep the Islanders in the Coliseum and if this didn't work they were/will be gone.

Moving to Windsor would be incredibly stupid given that the majority of season ticketholders live in Michigan and would thus need to cross an international border for every game. (Though I have it on good account that you can get waved through into Detroit if you tell the border agent you're just going to the Wings game.) Everything else you said is correct.

I was just in Detroit/Windsor a couple weeks ago (Went to Windsor simply because "anything goes", and I needed to stock up on some Canadian 'goodies' I can't get here), and I asked him what that "Nexus" line was all about, and he said it's basically their frequent crosser's line, where the locals get advanced screenings from both countries, and they basically show their passports and cruise on, instead of being stopped and asked about every single detail about why you're entering their country.

I would think that the season ticket holders would simply apply for that Nexus line, so that they aren't delayed too much when going to/from games.

It never had a chance. Anyone who knows anything about Nassau county politics could have told you that.

I'm actually surprised the vote was as close as it was. I was expecting a double digit defeat which may still happen after they count up all the votes.

Fully expect to start hearing even more rumors about Charles Wang selling the team. Don't think this was any more then a last ditch effort to keep the Islanders in the Coliseum and if this didn't work they were/will be gone.

Just like why the Lighthouse never got off the ground. There was no way in hell that it was going to be approved in the form it was presented in as it was way too big for the area and would have placed another shopping mall within a mile of the major shopping mall in the region and a second mall which is a ghost of itself. Yes, I know a lot about Nassau County politics too.

Also, the vote was non-binding. In NYS there does not need to be a vote to float a bond of this type. Really, it could be argued that the vote was nothing more than to see what the support was and to say to NIFA that the majority of county residents support this so you should allow the county to do this. However, considering the impact on the property tax rate in arguably the county in the US with the highest property taxes there is no surprise that it failed. The surprise is in the support it did get. Once again Wang proves he's got no PR sense.

The reason people in Michigan don't go to Detroit has nothing to do with public transportation. Michigan for obvious reasons is a big car ownership society and had largely rejected public transportation.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

This is damn shame, without that new building the isles are now doomed. It sucks that a team that played such a big part in the NHL's history will probably have to move to some other unworthy town like Kansas city or another sun belt city. If they do move they should go to quebec (if they get their act together).

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

This is damn shame, without that new building the isles are now doomed. It sucks that a team that played such a big part in the NHL's history will probably have to move to some other unworthy town like Kansas city or another sun belt city. If they do move they should go to quebec (if they get their act together).

It's a shame what has happened to the Islanders, but I think the residents made the right decision. Wang should just pay for the arena himself.

I saw, I came, I left.

"I think this post is a damn shame."

- Every single one of Connor Hanley's English teachers

I asked him what that "Nexus" line was all about, and he said it's basically their frequent crosser's line, where the locals get advanced screenings from both countries, and they basically show their passports and cruise on, instead of being stopped and asked about every single detail about why you're entering their country.

I would think that the season ticket holders would simply apply for that Nexus line, so that they aren't delayed too much when going to/from games.

There's a little more to it than that, but this is essentially the case.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived