Pacific Coast League

raysox

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful work Raysox. The hat is my favorite part, but I love what you did with their identity as a whole.

I don't understand why you're not using sleeve patches on any of these concepts though. Especially in this case, because the state capital logo would look great on the sleeve of those unis.

My only real complaint with the design of this concept is the script logo on the away jersey. It's really small; I think It would be best to just have "Solons" on both jerseys.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

That's what I was thinking. I just thought that if I did expand it, I would do the Hawaii Islanders, who used a similar scheme.

HawaiiIslanders.png

I see your dilema.

Sugestion 1:

Padres, main colour yellow, backup maroon.

Hawaii, main red, backup gold and brown.

Sugestion 2:

Padres, main Brown, backup Yellow

Hawaii, main Gold, backup red and maroon.

See if that helps any?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Well, what I could do is throw orange into the Islanders. SSUR has red and yellow, then brown. So I could do something like that, or something new. Not sure. I probably will do brown/yellow. Maybe.

How about the Beavers? I was doing black and yellow, but it turns out it was a dark green. What I probably will do is this scheme.

As far as the patches, I didn't think the Rainiers had a solid of set to have one. The Seals, I wanted to keep them classic. Then as far as this one, I didn't think about doing it. I'm putting them there right now. UPDATED.

How about the Beavers? I was doing black and yellow, but it turns out it was a dark green. What I probably will do is this scheme.

I second your thoughts on the colors for the Beavers. Red and brown are how I'd have them as well.

As for the Solons, I love the color scheme and I like the simple uniforms. The typeface for the scripts is a little generic, but it is clean. I agree with you that trying to match their cap logo to what they wear on their fronts would be difficult to pull off well.

Also, excellent idea with the LA Angels logo. Historically, that logo at times had a different colored L and A which I think was pretty cool. (I actually designed a similar cap logo for them, but I put the halo around the top of the L and the L was navy while the A and halo were white.) I'm excited to see the next two. Good job so far.

I'm really liking these, although the laurel leaves surrounding the scripts on the Solons jersey reads kind like parenthesis to me.

So far, that Seals concept is by far my favorite. I'm really looking forward to the Stars set. I really hope it's something reminiscent of this:

3126982906_71d4b59571.jpg

Alright, back to this.

Hollywood Stars

Another team that got cut out when the Dodgers moved west. The logos are drawn back to logos they had. The primary is roughly based off this

HollywoodStars57.jpg

and the H-star logo on the caps. The scripts are cursive, similar to the ones that eriq posted. I did change the colors from navy, just to differ them from the Angels. On the jerseys, I didn't go with the ones eriq posted. I'm not a fan of that look at all, to be honest. I did a throwback piping that runs down the sleeve. I did have sleeves, but went against them when I posted.

Hollywood1.png

Hollywood2.png

The last 3 teams are all actual teams that lasted. I've gotten most of the Angels done, but might change the font. Would you guys be mad if I just gave you these?

Angels, Padres

Nah, just kidding!

I like Hollywood, but "Stars" kind of looks like "Stans".

The scripts are just too "fonty" if you will. It's easy to tell they aren't custom in that the typeface is fairly common and recognizable.

I like the uniforms and the treatment of the wordmarks though. I like that you put the star behind the H on the script like you did on the cap logo. Even though I'm not opposed to your design choice, any reason why you didn't put a star behind the S in 'Stars?'

Try designing your own scripts for this team like you did with the Seals. If you like the look of that typeface, keep some of the elements (like the little loops on the Os or the overall shape of the H, etc.). Custom scripts (and subsequent use of the custom H in the cap logo) would put this concept over the top.

On the Stars, having both Hollywood and Stars written out in that script is too much script for one logo. consider changing the Hollywood word to just non-cursive letters and then arch it around the top of the ball. I also agree with what Ted Cunningham said about a custom font. You wouldnt necessarily have to make the whole font from scratch, but if you tweak certain areas of this font, it would look more original possibly. But when compared to the real original logos these teams used, yours are obviously an upgrade.

Great stuff - I really wish your alternate history had actually happened and the old PCL was still playing with these uniforms. The Rainers are my favorite for the total uniform, the colors are unique and look great. The San Francisco Seals hat is one I'd buy in a heart beat.

Well done!

• 2 weeks later...

Los Angeles Angels

Alright gang, I've had this done, but forgot I never posted. LA's original team used a Dodger-esque LA logo, which you can see. I mixed styles a bit, with the font they used in the time period. The colors are a bold look like the team now. The primary is similar to my angel's concept, and there are obvious halos on the A's. I decided to go with the vests. My thinking was that if the current team had vests in their history, then this team's history would've too. Plus, no team has them yet.

LosAngeles1.png

LosAngeles2.png

I really like these concepts! More solid work from you.

I'm not huge on the olive branches around the Sacramento wordmarks, I think it might look better on the cap logo.

I think the "Stars" wordmark on the home uniform looks small and could maybe be stretched out to fill the uniform a little more. Also, the red and blue right next to each other is hard to see with the colors as bright as they are. Maybe add a thin white stroke between the two colors (it works for the UK flag). Or you could try angling the wordmark a little to help it fill the jersey.

Lastly, I like the Angels' font you used, it's similar enough to their current script to be recognizable as part of the Angels brand, but different enough to not look like a copy. Not a fan of the halos on the hats, never have been, so it's not your fault, I just think it looks gimmicky.

The Seals and Rainiers are great, the different shades of green are great and I like the blue and light orange a lot. Nice work on these concepts, keep it up!

Grunge-Logos.png

These are great! I especially like the league logo and the Seals. I think the Giants could adopt something like your seal logo as an alternate to represent where they play (lots of seals lie in areas of downtown SF near AT&T Park).

My only critique is similar to what people said above about the Stars wordmark. It's a bit tough to read.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived