Proposed NFL uniform rule

mjrbaseball

OK, this is such a stupid idea that I'll bet no one on the board likes it. Even I don't like it! But the idea came into my head so I will throw it out there.

What if the NFL told teams they may must have at least three jerseys each, three pants each, and two helmets each, on the condition that they wear no combination more than once a season.

Like I said, insanity, but what do you all think? What combinations would teams have to come up with that they don't already have, and how would they compare?

CK3ZP8E.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with this is that there are classic looks that will never change, so you won't see the Bears wearing a different helmet too often, which limits their options, and they're not the only team with that problem.

OK, this is such a stupid idea that I'll bet no one on the board likes it. Even I don't like it! But the idea came into my head so I will throw it out there.

What if the NFL told teams they may have three jerseys each, three pants each, and two helmets each, on the condition that they wear no combination more than once a season.

Like I said, insanity, but what do you all think? What combinations would teams have to come up with that they don't already have, and how would they compare?

This is Oregon. The ideal situation is to cut down on the number of combinations worn throughout a season. This guarantees your team won't look the same in any two games.

It's a cool idea but very unrealistic. I think it would be fun to imagine but I think it would get old after awhile, some teams have an identity that would be totally ruined if they weren't allowed to wear the same thing all the time. The packers, bears, raiders, etc... are all god examples of this. Also what about teams like the colts who only have two colors? how would they pull this off?

OK, I amended my premise ...

What if the NFL told teams they must have at least three jerseys each, three pants each, and two helmets each, on the condition that they wear no combination more than once a season.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

OK, I amended my premise ...

What if the NFL told teams they must have at least three jerseys each, three pants each, and two helmets each, on the condition that they wear no combination more than once a season.

Then you're just encouraging the creation of an NFL Oregon, and nobody wants that.

I think mjrbaseball is just suggesting a "what if?" scenario. I don't think he's actually coming out in favour of this.

Agreed. In fact, look at how I started this thread:

I am just a believer that every idea, no matter how ridiculous, should at least get an airing. This may be so dumb though that I hope this thread dies a natural death very quickly!

CK3ZP8E.jpg

While I'm with mjr in thinking that's ridiculous, I fear that some team will go the route of Oregon, or the 1979 Pirates, inhibiting 16 diffrent combinations, one for each game. I hope not though.

Can't happen. The league has a rule of one helmet per team (throwbacks are the exception), and a new rule will limit alternate jerseys to two appearances per year, in non-prime time games.

I think the must actually makes this worse. I think it would be really hit and miss. It's not so much the jerseys that I'm worried about. It's the helmets. Some team would be able to pull it off. For example I could see the Panthers in a silver, black, Carolina blue helmet. I think the bears would also look good in their normal helmet, and hey could occasionally throw in a white helmet with a blue C. But on the other hand, would you want to see the packers in a green helmet? Broncos in orange? Going back to the Packers and addressing the jerseys, would it be good for them to wear yellow jerseys? And what would the third one be, black? Unless white counts, but because you can't wear that at home, I'm not sure it would. Would this rule be good? No, dear god no. Would it be interesting? Very much so (though that's not necessarily a good thing).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I think let's just do it for shiits and gigs. This is not about wanting the league to do this, or how rediculous it sounds, but just for fun. What the hell better do we have better to do? Talk more bout BFBS or how the older guys hate Oregons unis but the young folk do like it? Let's try somthing new. Just for kicks.

I think let's just do it for shiits and gigs. This is not about wanting the league to do this, or how rediculous it sounds, but just for fun. What the hell better do we have better to do? Talk more bout BFBS or how the older guys hate Oregons unis but the young folk do like it? Let's try somthing new. Just for kicks.

I'm going to keep this very simple: no.

I'm going to keep this very simple: no.

Kevin W.: The official thread ruiner of CCSLC.

Come on man, it's not like we want this to happen, but it's interesting to think about.

I guess I'll start with my Seahawks.

Helmets: Silver, Neon Green

Jerseys: Blue, Neon Green, Silver

Pants: Blue, white (to prevent mono neon green), silver

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

That pretty much was my whole idea. I just wanted to play a little.

(BTW, espnboy13, I probably am one of the "older guys"! :D

And @thespleenenator, I was counting white as one of the three, but no requiement to have white at all. You could have three colors. And it is "at least" three colors.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Delving into one team -- N.Y. Giants.

Two helmets - both blue, one with the "ny" logo and a single red stripe, one with the "GIANTS" wordmark and a red-white-red stripe (opposite of what they had from '76-'80).

Jerseys - white, blue, red

Pants - gray, white, blue

The only really bad combo here is red-over-blue. But you also end up with a blue monochrome.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived