UGA Pro Combat

BlazerBlaze

I love how in this era of increased awarenees regarding the long term health consequences of head blows on the football field we are celebrating a guy who made a point of headbutting a helmet.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only fans of SEC schools that say "I cheer for the SEC when they aren't playing my school!" are the ones that somehow want to feel like they've won something when they haven't.....i.e., the ones that like to say "Our conference has won the past 5 national championships!".

The conference doesn't win national championships....individual schools do.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Florida, Tennessee, etc. go 2-10 or 4-8.

You must be a fan of Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, or Ohio State. Although it was hard for me this last BCS championship to root against Oregon, but SEC rules in my house.

** Read this article about how College Uniforms help to lure college students to schools **

** Here is another article **

** Finally, here is one more article about finances and recruiting due to new uniforms **

I'm a Georgia graduate and fan.

I hate this "new uniforms help recruiting" :censored:.

Here's an article from rivals about recruiting in the last decade.

Here's the top ten recruiting teams in that span:

1. USC

2. Georgia

3. Florida

4. LSU

5. Texas

6. Florida State

7. Oklahoma

8. Auburn

T9. Michigan

T9. Tennessee

What do all these teams have in common? Traditional uniforms

1. USC

2. Georgia

3. Florida

4. LSU

5. Texas

6. Florida State

7. Oklahoma

8. Auburn

T9. Michigan

T9. Tennessee

Exactly. It's fine if Boise State or TCU or Missouri want to jump on this hayride, but these other schools that did the Pro Combat promo don't need a Nike promo or an ugly-ass uniform to increase recruitment and revenue. Texas held their ground. Georgia, Florida, LSU, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Oklahoma, et al looked like clowns whose only purpose in life is doing what Nike tells them to do and then cashing the check. More than anything, it's sad. American style was once among the world's best. Now, just 50 years later, the general public doesn't even know how clothes are supposed to fit.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I wouldn't include Oklahoma among that group. Their Pro Combat was certainly a change from their usual fare but it was quite conservative.

Looks like I contributed on putting this thread on a tanget...woops. sincere apologies.

Anyways, according to many students I've talked to, the red stripe on the helmet and facemask is supposed to represent Erk Russell, an assistant coach for UGA during the 1980 national title year. Russell became an infinite part of Georgia lore because he would but his bald head against helmets before games...

...which would cause him to bleed from his forehead. I actually admit this flew over my head, but it flew over everyone elses head as well...because not many UGA fans made that immediate connection and the representation was not publicized by Nike or UGA's SID.

Still, it's a terrible looking element and I dislike it, but if the claim is true I'll have to say I'll warm up to the design a little bit.

That is awesome! I love how Nike tries to represent past events in either the school or state history. Take KY for example, the shoulders on this years uniform is representative of the greatest Horse in history...Secretariat! I love this stuff and I love those helmets of the Bulldogs!!!!

I thought you guys hated Louisville.

I love the city of Louisville, it is by far the best city in the state. I love the Kentucky Derby, I haven't missed one since 1995. I do however, hate the University of Louisville, but the point you are trying to make does not. Because, Secretariat was born in the Lexington area, and if you have ever been to Kentucky, you would know that Churchill Downs may be home to the Derby, but Keeneland in Lexington is where most of the horses are raised.

spacer.png

Here's a photo for those who are not aware:

erkrussell_crop_340x234.jpg?1314098226

As for Kentucky, they really don't own that checkered-board pattern...but their rival does, so that makes zero sense.

It's like if Ohio State started wearing the winged helmet. The checkerboard pattern IS Tennessee athletics. It should be nowhere in the Kentucky's blueprint.

Did you not read my previous post? The checkered pattern is to represent Secretariat. The greatest Horse in the history of racing! Secretariat was born and raised in the Lexington area and I think it is awesome for Nike to show illustrations of the surrounding statures that Lexington offers. Think of it as how they did the basketball uniforms in recent history. They (nike) placed designs on the back of the jerseys to represent different features of the schools. The HyperElite uniforms had the following designs for Kentucky on the back of the jersey:

- Checkered 'pattern of excellence' inspiration from racing silks worn by Secretariat - contains Wildcats national championship years.

- Roses symbolize Kentucky Derby

- Illustration represents Lexington campus's historical Memorial Hall.

- The wildcat school mascot is a design focal point

EliteFit_College_Back_SP10_0176-thumb-475x611-4682.jpg

So, this trend should not be new to anyone on these boards.

spacer.png

Then you're doing it wrong. Rooting for a conference foe shows disloyalty to your school.

Its a SEC/southern thing Kevin. An extension of southern hospitality. Its kinda like your pumpkin didn't make it to the state fair but your neighbor's did, so you pull for your neighbor's to win.

amen to that. seriously, Kevin, it's just different. between the lines and inside the cement stadiums, rivalries are intense.

but SEC fans get a long with eachother like brothers and sisters on gameday. It's kind of like a 90,000 strong family reunion.

I have friends at Auburn, Clemson, SC, Tennessee, Bama...the culture is exactly the same at each school, and you could wear a UGA shirt into an Auburn bar, get treated to a few playfull jokes, and then it's all fun and games after that.

We don't beat the crap out of eachother like they do in the northeast and west coast.

In fact, it's interesting that when I visit SEC schools, my proclamations of being a Georgia fan are welcomed.

But, when I visit Tech I always end up getting mean mugged by frat guys...

So that's why LSU fans throw bags of urine on to fans of opposing teams?

Anyways, that stuff isn't relevant. A Kentucky fan still can't talk crap to a TCU fan talking about texas' uniforms. Especially when the Kentucky fan set the criteria about why schools change uniforms and Texas couldn't have done a better job at those 2 things. That's the point. The Kentucky fan only changed it because he realized how stupid he sounded.

You'll always have a few idiots in a bunch, much like the Alabama fan that poisoned the oaks over at Auburn.

I think there's just a general respect between every school in the conference. Like another member touched on, I have relatives and friends at 5 of the schools, my parents even met because of SEC football (my dad's a Gator and my mom went to Ole Miss). We'll have our playful jabs at each other, but I'd rather see an SEC team win in any bowl game against any other team.

I actually know quite a few Big Ten fans who are the same way except they usually hate either Michigan or Ohio State.

I get what you're saying and I know how SEC fans are (know one else chants the name of their conference), but that still has nothing to do with how wrong that poster was about Texas changing uniforms and it still doesn't change the fact that a Kentucky football fan can never talk smack about Texas football.

Then you're doing it wrong. Rooting for a conference foe shows disloyalty to your school.

Its a SEC/southern thing Kevin. An extension of southern hospitality. Its kinda like your pumpkin didn't make it to the state fair but your neighbor's did, so you pull for your neighbor's to win.

amen to that. seriously, Kevin, it's just different. between the lines and inside the cement stadiums, rivalries are intense.

but SEC fans get a long with eachother like brothers and sisters on gameday. It's kind of like a 90,000 strong family reunion.

I have friends at Auburn, Clemson, SC, Tennessee, Bama...the culture is exactly the same at each school, and you could wear a UGA shirt into an Auburn bar, get treated to a few playfull jokes, and then it's all fun and games after that.

We don't beat the crap out of eachother like they do in the northeast and west coast.

In fact, it's interesting that when I visit SEC schools, my proclamations of being a Georgia fan are welcomed.

Anyways, that stuff isn't relevant. A Kentucky fan still can't talk crap to a TCU fan talking about texas' uniforms. Especially when the Kentucky fan set the criteria about why schools change uniforms and Texas couldn't have done a better job at those 2 things. That's the point. The Kentucky fan only changed it because he realized how stupid he sounded.

Pardon me, but I never changed the subject. I simply said if someone was going to make #1 statements then they need to back those statements up with fact on a Conference level.

Now it's like you are having a contest with yourself to see if you can say something even dumber than your most recent post. And suceeding quite well actually.

What do team recruiting rankings or school licensed merchandise sales have to do with conferences? Absolutely nothing! You were wrong. Move on.

You'll always have a few idiots in a bunch, much like the Alabama fan that poisoned the oaks over at Auburn.

I think there's just a general respect between every school in the conference. Like another member touched on, I have relatives and friends at 5 of the schools, my parents even met because of SEC football (my dad's a Gator and my mom went to Ole Miss). We'll have our playful jabs at each other, but I'd rather see an SEC team win in any bowl game against any other team.

I actually know quite a few Big Ten fans who are the same way except they usually hate either Michigan or Ohio State.

I get what you're saying and I know how SEC fans are (know one else chants the name of their conference), but that still has nothing to do with how wrong that poster was about Texas changing uniforms and it still doesn't change the fact that a Kentucky football fan can never talk smack about Texas football.

Sure I can! But I understand I am the minority here on this subject, however the main point I was trying to say was that I was proud that Georgia did something out of the ordinary for their Pro Combat uniforms unlike Texas and Alabama. What did Texas change for theirs? They put a number of their helmet and maybe changed the striping and it was still a boring uniform just like their normal away uniforms. Plain and Boring! Alabama is the same way, they changed the striping of their pants for their Pro Combat, yet their uniforms looked just like their Pro Combat, plain and boring. The original point was that if a school agrees to wear a Pro Combat uniform, then they should go outside of their norm.

Lets look at the differences:

Pro Combat:texascombat.jpgPlain:coltmccoyqbs.jpg

Alabama

Pro Combat: Alabama-Pro-Combat-Uniform-3.jpg

Plain: MIngram.jpg

Miami

Pro Combat:F720133.jpg Plain: randyphillips2.jpg

Hopefully now you see my point! If your going to agree to do something different, then do something different!

spacer.png

Funny, I don't see Nike doing this to all of their marquee schools - you'd think they would have told Penn State by now to do Pro Combat or they would stop supplying uniforms for them.

Schools like Penn State and Texas sell plenty of gear without Nike's out-there designs. Even if they don't get to push their designs with these schools, Nike still wants in on the money these schools bring in.

the Pro Combat Rivalry program isn't about selling merch to fans. Sure that helps Nike recoup some of the money for the stuff it gives to fans, but the program itself is about selling nike team stuff (and equipment like shoes/gloves) to schools (hs, college, whatever) who normally wouldn't order new stuff or try as outlandish of designs) and from what I hear, it is working quite well.

1. USC

2. Georgia

3. Florida

4. LSU

5. Texas

6. Florida State

7. Oklahoma

8. Auburn

T9. Michigan

T9. Tennessee

You might have a point if anyone claimed new uniforms were the only thing a recruit cared about. No one has. A much better stat would be to see how much the recruiting rankings of teams like TCU, Boise and Oregon have increased since they started getting all the new uniforms.

No one is saying a recruit would choose TCU over Texas because they have new uniforms. But new uniforms absolutely make some recruits want to take visits to places like TCU, Oregon and Boise and then the coaches, facilities, players, etc... may sway them to attend.

Sure I can! But I understand I am the minority here on this subject, however the main point I was trying to say was that I was proud that Georgia did something out of the ordinary for their Pro Combat uniforms unlike Texas and Alabama. What did Texas change for theirs? They put a number of their helmet and maybe changed the striping and it was still a boring uniform just like their normal away uniforms. Plain and Boring! Alabama is the same way, they changed the striping of their pants for their Pro Combat, yet their away uniforms looked just like their Pro Combat, plain and boring. The original point was that if a school agrees to wear a Pro Combat uniform, then they should go outside of their norm.

I agree that Texas and Alabama should not have participated. I also agree that when a school brings in the most money and gets the best recruits (the two criteria you set) they don't need to change their uniforms.

1. USC

2. Georgia

3. Florida

4. LSU

5. Texas

6. Florida State

7. Oklahoma

8. Auburn

T9. Michigan

T9. Tennessee

You might have a point if anyone claimed new uniforms were the only thing a recruit cared about. No one has. A much better stat would be to see how much the recruiting rankings of teams like TCU, Boise and Oregon have increased since they started getting all the new uniforms.

No one is saying a recruit would choose TCU over Texas because they have new uniforms. But new uniforms absolutely make some recruits want to take visits to places like TCU, Oregon and Boise and then the coaches, facilities, players, etc... may sway them to attend.

What else has changed with those teams recently? Winning percentage

1. USC

2. Georgia

3. Florida

4. LSU

5. Texas

6. Florida State

7. Oklahoma

8. Auburn

T9. Michigan

T9. Tennessee

What else has changed with those teams recently? Winning percentage

Which goes to my point that uniforms aren't the only thing a recruit considers.

I have never made the argument that a recruit picks a school based on its uniforms. But MANY recruits have said they decided to visit a school because of it's uniforms and that's when you can see the great facilities/coaches/etc at an Oregon or a TCU and consider going there. That is how new uniforms factor in.

You can ignore the role they play if you want, but that only leads to looking ignorant when discussing the topic.

I wouldn't include Oklahoma among that group. Their Pro Combat was certainly a change from their usual fare but it was quite conservative.

They had a halftone fadeout on their stripes. Definitely not conservative.

ok_pro_combat_chest_lores.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Funny, I don't see Nike doing this to all of their marquee schools - you'd think they would have told Penn State by now to do Pro Combat or they would stop supplying uniforms for them.

Schools like Penn State and Texas sell plenty of gear without Nike's out-there designs. Even if they don't get to push their designs with these schools, Nike still wants in on the money these schools bring in.

the Pro Combat Rivalry program isn't about selling merch to fans. Sure that helps Nike recoup some of the money for the stuff it gives to fans, but the program itself is about selling nike team stuff (and equipment like shoes/gloves) to schools (hs, college, whatever) who normally wouldn't order new stuff or try as outlandish of designs) and from what I hear, it is working quite well.

Which is why the big schools should have let the little schools dress like clowns and peddle the Nike swag instead of tarnishing their own brands for no other reason than to get people talking about the company who sends them uniforms in the mail. The big schools could have still highlighted all of the Nike technology in the uniform while doing something subtle and respectful, like a throwback or simply updating their current uniform to the new technology. The only school that took this approach was Texas, and Alabama to a degree. I actually like their Pro Combat uniform more than their regular uniform, except the logo on the pants.

You know what? I think I'm going to organize an athletic equipment manufacturer and trot out a line of "stealth warrior" uniforms, strongly implying that the technology in the threads is such that only cool people can actually see the uniforms when worn.

I wonder how much money I could bilk before folks caught on....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

They had a halftone fadeout on their stripes. Definitely not conservative.

http://friendsoftheprogram.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/ok_pro_combat_chest_lores.jpg

That isn't exactly noticeable unless you're up close. It's not a huge fading pattern like Arizona or VT's Pro Combat.

Archived