UGA Pro Combat

BlazerBlaze

Here are some actual pictures from the event, so you can see them in shots besides the usual promo pictures. I thought it did look better in person. I can dig the helmet, and while the continuation of the stripe into the facemask is abnormal, I didn't think it was distracting at all. The undersleeves feature a more prominent black to red fade (the promo pics didn't depict this as well as the real life model). The black numbers are silly, and I would have preferred them as standard white block. If the pants were silver with striping, this set would have been pretty good. The design isn't super radical, and I'm not sure what (if any) was the design inspiration. Regardless, it is what it is, but I think I will like them more so when they are actually on the players. I did walk away liking them more in person than the original shots. I guess there's just something about seeing it a foot away... Anyways, here are some shots.

30w6z6a.jpg

15g2mbn.jpg

5zi349.jpg

24obksk.jpg

2625tts.jpg

23t16x4.jpg

29vf1au.jpg

2ih7a6a.jpg

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think that the helmet is the ONLY thing this set has going for it. Im actually pretty surprised that no one has utilized the facemask as a design element like this yet. The helmet will definitely be recognizable from this point forward, seeing as nothing like this has been done (to my knowledge)

the jersey and pants, though, simply horrid. A company like nike should be ashamed to let these be worn. theyre the more uninspired uniforms i think ive ever seen at the college level. But hey, Nike isnt trying to please anyone here, theyre just trying to sell merch and advertise the product.

zPfTNXq_sm_zpsu3fsswbz.jpg 8DRvuUI_sm_zpsthbhbnio.jpg

Maurer_icons-02_zps7dcbd790.png Maurer_icons-01_zpsfee43a9b.png

As a long time, hard-core Dawg fan, it just made my eyes vomit. I want to get in my car and drive to Athens so I can vomit on them in person.

Looks like a bastard-child milkshake of the worst arena uniforms, high school unis and with some Oregon mixed in.

Normally UGA has been conservative. This is just God-aweful. Their strategy to win must be to look so disgusting that the other team can bear to look their way.

I'm really in shock.

Ok, we've officialy been shafted. Look closer, the shield behind the G is Black. All the other ones have been silver.... This is either another TCU deal from last year and their Rose Bowl jerseys where the school didn't approve so Nike gave them a bland jersey OR Coach is messing with us again and isn't showing anybody the real ones till we walk on the field for the game.....I pray its the 2nd but my gut says #1.

This is the real one. Why would Nike put a fake on their website?

The TCU thing isn't quite like you characterize it. Nike was using the bowls to unveil new uniforms for Oregon, Boise state and Florida. TCU got red hot last year and Nike wanted to capitalize on that while unveiling new shoe technology. Nikes plan was for TCU to wear the top they ended up wearing, but with their PC helmets and pants. TCU fans hated that their was no purple so TCUs AD told Nike no and TCU decided to go with their normal big game combo of purple, black, purple. TCUs PC badges had been silver. The badges on the 2011 uniforms are black like the collar.

Whether the execution has been good or bad (and in many cases, it has been forward-thinking and good), it seems like previous Pro Combat designs have centered on some sort of unified theme, often connecting to the school's history or identity. With Georgia, it's as if the designers took some scraps from previous design processes, tossed them together, and said "Well, here are some things." This feels like an FCS treatment.

There has to be more to the story about how these uniforms came to be. I'm sure we'll never hear the full story. As I said before, I think this isn't what Nike originally proposed and was thrown together at the last second when Nike and Georgia couldn't come to an agreement.

After you said this, I'm starting to think that something like this is what happened. With all the ProCombat uniforms, Nike has always made a big deal about tying the uniforms into the school history. I think that Nike gave Georgia a few proposals that were more school-specific but all of them were too drastic for Georgia. Then everything fell apart when they couldn't decide on those and they ended up with an uncharacteristically basic uniform for the Pro Combat sets. These just seem to different from anything else Nike has done that it makes me think this wasn't what the original plan was.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I think Nike has run out of "cool" (aka stupid) ideas to put on jerseys and thought throwing out something plain and calling it Pro Combat would get everyone excited about it. Everything in the past has been over the top, this is so underwhelming that I think we can finally see the end of the stupidity that is Pro Combat designs.

No tv numbers even? no pants design? no silver in the jersey or pants? the helmet looks like an april fools joke. I'm so depressed by this...I might have to listen to the game on the radio...

I'll be listening to the game on radio anyway, even if a certain blonde ESPN sideline reporter does get me tickets....

The jerseys aren't that bad, but they're just not up to Georgia standards. It is a futuristic, yet tradition-in-mind simple-looking jersey. Considering what Nike could have come up with, these could have been a lot worse. There could have been a slew of unnecessary stripes or a helmet with one giant G logo on it.

For those that didn't know, Georgia used to have a silver helmet in the early 60's, and also wore red pants in the early 80's, so these aren't completely out of the realm of Georgia's jersey history.

And since it is for one game, I can live with them.

Hopefully Richt sold his soul to Nike for these jerseys, slapping tradition in the face, to guarantee a win....

Normally I'm a huge fan of Nike and the pro combat line but these are just awful. The wide helmet stripe and boring jersey and pants. Nike seems to love silver so why not actually put a team with silver in there uniforms in silver tops with red numbers outlined in black? Red lid with a stripe to match the pants and red pants from the 80's. Overall poor job on this one

Silver pants & a thinner helmet stripe & this would've worked. But now, it's just a bit off.

It's funny, this is definitely one of the more conservative Pro Combat uniforms that Nike has come out with, yet it was still pretty bad. One of these days, they'll absolutely nail it, but right now it seems to be one bad experiment after another.

Nike finally puts out a super plain pro combat uniform and pants set and you guys complain to no end. (The helmet IMO is the only thing worth complaining about)

Don't start with that.

Nike finally puts out a super plain pro combat uniform and pants set and you guys complain to no end. (The helmet IMO is the only thing worth complaining about)

Silver pants, silver numbers outlined in black, and a lack of flywire on the collar would have made this a decent set from the neck down.

304359_236031836432104_161215620580393_590737_180528_n.jpg

Eh the helmet is so so in real life. I just dont like that jersey. Kinda feel shafted. And I get that its a one game thing but we've done that before against Florida in 09 with the black pants and lids. HCMR said after the game UGA wouldn't be playing around with jerseys anymore. And then they anouce we're doing pro-combat which has been known for some very team specific and incredibly unique uniforms like The U's and FSU and TCU. And they roll out a standard template. ASU and WSU new unis are more exciting than this. If you took the G off the collar you wouldn't know if these we're UGA's or Valdosta State's.

I know most of you guys hate this look and for the most part I do as well. However, if some key elements were changed like adding stripes on the pants, then this would be a decent look. I do love the facemask, how the strip from the helmet goes in line down the facemask. I think that is genius! Overall, considering that this is for one game only, I am proud that Georgia actually made a massive change unlike the Pro Combat teams of Texas and Alabama. I mean, hell, if you gonna try something different, then you might as well go all out. 8 out 10.

spacer.png

I like the helmets. It's a design element we haven't really seen before, which I prefer to some crazy patterned numbering. Not that I dislike the one-off designs TCU and Miami had for their numbering, I just like to see Nike trying to do something different. I think the helmet and facemask experimentation is perfect for a one-off.

Archived