UGA Pro Combat

BlazerBlaze

Then you're doing it wrong. Rooting for a conference foe shows disloyalty to your school.

Its a SEC/southern thing Kevin. An extension of southern hospitality. Its kinda like your pumpkin didn't make it to the state fair but your neighbor's did, so you pull for your neighbor's to win.

I'll second that. One of my friends went to a late season game at the Swamp, and the biggest cheer during the out of town scoreboard was when they showed that Alabama was winning.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then you're doing it wrong. Rooting for a conference foe shows disloyalty to your school.

Its a SEC/southern thing Kevin. An extension of southern hospitality. Its kinda like your pumpkin didn't make it to the state fair but your neighbor's did, so you pull for your neighbor's to win.

amen to that. seriously, Kevin, it's just different. between the lines and inside the cement stadiums, rivalries are intense.

but SEC fans get a long with eachother like brothers and sisters on gameday. It's kind of like a 90,000 strong family reunion.

I have friends at Auburn, Clemson, SC, Tennessee, Bama...the culture is exactly the same at each school, and you could wear a UGA shirt into an Auburn bar, get treated to a few playfull jokes, and then it's all fun and games after that.

We don't beat the crap out of eachother like they do in the northeast and west coast.

We like to party with fellow football fans and we will support one another till the end. Kevin you need to go to the World's Largest Cocktail Party and experience Southern Kindness and how it should be everywhere. I am not a huge fan of either team, but the memories of that day will last a lifetime.

spacer.png

No, you're not a fan of every SEC school. You are a Kentucky fan. Oregon fans don't root for UCLA, Baylor fans don't root for Kansas, etc. etc.

Yeah, that may be true in other areas, but in the SEC, we generally pull for each other when we play out of conference, especially in bowl games. There are some exceptions, as a Tennessee fan I would rather set myself afire than cheer for Alabama, but generally we like to keep championships in the family.

amen to that. seriously, Kevin, it's just different. between the lines and inside the cement stadiums, rivalries are intense.

but SEC fans get a long with eachother like brothers and sisters on gameday. It's kind of like a 90,000 strong family reunion.

I have friends at Auburn, Clemson, SC, Tennessee, Bama...the culture is exactly the same at each school, and you could wear a UGA shirt into an Auburn bar, get treated to a few playfull jokes, and then it's all fun and games after that.

We don't beat the crap out of eachother like they do in the northeast and west coast.

In fact, it's interesting that when I visit SEC schools, my proclamations of being a Georgia fan are welcomed.

But, when I visit Tech I always end up getting mean mugged by frat guys...

So that's why LSU fans throw bags of urine on to fans of opposing teams?

Anyways, that stuff isn't relevant. A Kentucky fan still can't talk crap to a TCU fan talking about texas' uniforms. Especially when the Kentucky fan set the criteria about why schools change uniforms and Texas couldn't have done a better job at those 2 things. That's the point. The Kentucky fan only changed it because he realized how stupid he sounded.

In fact, it's interesting that when I visit SEC schools, my proclamations of being a Georgia fan are welcomed.

Anyways, that stuff isn't relevant. A Kentucky fan still can't talk crap to a TCU fan talking about texas' uniforms. Especially when the Kentucky fan set the criteria about why schools change uniforms and Texas couldn't have done a better job at those 2 things. That's the point. The Kentucky fan only changed it because he realized how stupid he sounded.

You'll always have a few idiots in a bunch, much like the Alabama fan that poisoned the oaks over at Auburn.

I think there's just a general respect between every school in the conference. Like another member touched on, I have relatives and friends at 5 of the schools, my parents even met because of SEC football (my dad's a Gator and my mom went to Ole Miss). We'll have our playful jabs at each other, but I'd rather see an SEC team win in any bowl game against any other team.

I actually know quite a few Big Ten fans who are the same way except they usually hate either Michigan or Ohio State.

I agree with the sentiments that the SEC is generally a welcoming bunch that usually cheers for its own conference.

On topic: I emailed the Associate Director of Promotions, Director of Marketing, as well as the AD at UGA regarding the poor effort given to us. I inquired about how we got involved with Nike for this/how our design was selected, and then proceeded to explain how our uniform is terrible. It will be interesting to see if/what she says in response.

SEC has a saying, "We hate each other, but we hate everybody else more." lol

As far as the new uniforms; I say stick with what works. While there is always room for adjustments and new ideas, this one isn't just that good of an idea. I can't wait to see what they try to pull-off with LSU's uniforms. Although, if it's anything like ours, I say "geaux" back to the drawing board.

Jersey = Garbage.

Pants = Wrong.

Helmet = It's a work in progress. However: hate the stripe, hate the silver, and despise the red on the facemask.

Gloves = I don't mind them, actually.

SEC has a saying, "We hate each other, but we hate everybody else more." lol

As far as the new uniforms; I say stick with what works. While there is always room for adjustments and new ideas, this one isn't just that good of an idea. I can't wait to see what they try to pull-off with LSU's uniforms. Although, if it's anything like ours, I say "geaux" back to the drawing board.

Jersey = Garbage.

Pants = Wrong.

Helmet = It's a work in progress. However: hate the stripe, hate the silver, and despise the red on the facemask.

Gloves = I don't mind them, actually.

I'm hoping for something similar to two years ago. I'd like them to keep it classy, but I have a feeling they're going to try and complete modernize the look. If they put the "eye of the tiger" on the helmet, I might lose it.

You'll always have a few idiots in a bunch, much like the Alabama fan that poisoned the oaks over at Auburn.

I think there's just a general respect between every school in the conference. Like another member touched on, I have relatives and friends at 5 of the schools, my parents even met because of SEC football (my dad's a Gator and my mom went to Ole Miss). We'll have our playful jabs at each other, but I'd rather see an SEC team win in any bowl game against any other team.

I actually know quite a few Big Ten fans who are the same way except they usually hate either Michigan or Ohio State.

Exactly, heck it's in my own family. Half my family went to/roots for Georgia and the other half Florida, then my Auburn Uncle. I have friends who are LSU, South Carolina, Alabama etc. It's all very good natured.

niagaraq.png

I'm hoping for something similar to two years ago. I'd like them to keep it classy, but I have a feeling they're going to try and complete modernize the look. If they put the "eye of the tiger" on the helmet, I might lose it.

Lol, that would be an eyesore (pardon the pun). I'd love for them to keep the designs as "close to home" as possible. Oregon's uniform in the BCS was a good example of what should be done to this day and age's football uniforms; in my opinion, anyways. It had a little flash, an updated look, but it didn't look so bad. Should Nike go along those lines for new uniforms, it'd pretty much be a win/win for anybody.

LSU's Pro Combat, despite looking more like something Washington would wear, was definitely one of the best Pro Combats Nike's done. It was out of the ordinary without being crazy. I don't understand why Nike can't do that more often.

I have received two responses thus far, one actually from the AD, and one from the director of marketing.

Director of Marketing (standard acknowledgment email):

Andrew,

Thanks for your comments and interest in the Pro Combat uniforms that Nike has produced for the Bulldogs to wear in the season opener versus Boise State.

As we continue to work with Nike on uniforms and other projects in the future, we?ll consider feedback from several groups, including our fans.

Have a great day and Go Dawgs!

John Bateman

AD:

Andrew, thanks for your note. We?re tracking about a 50-50 like/dislike on the uniforms --- about what we expected. Sorry you don?t like the look, but at the end of the day, it?s all about the student athletes and they?re very excited about wearing them for this special occasion. Thanks for your support, and we?ll get back to our normal uni?s when we play Carolina the following weekend.

Take care and thanks for expressing your opinion.

Interesting. They've been quite speedy in response. Nice that McGarity took the time to write me an actual response!

Funny, I don't see Nike doing this to all of their marquee schools - you'd think they would have told Penn State by now to do Pro Combat or they would stop supplying uniforms for them.

Schools like Penn State and Texas sell plenty of gear without Nike's out-there designs. Even if they don't get to push their designs with these schools, Nike still wants in on the money these schools bring in.

Funny, I don't see Nike doing this to all of their marquee schools - you'd think they would have told Penn State by now to do Pro Combat or they would stop supplying uniforms for them.

Schools like Penn State and Texas sell plenty of gear without Nike's out-there designs. Even if they don't get to push their designs with these schools, Nike still wants in on the money these schools bring in.

But they also need Nike to supply them with merch. No win situation for the school.

LvZYtbZ.png

Pardon me, but I never changed the subject. I simply said if someone was going to make #1 statements then they need to back those statements up with fact on a Conference level.

spacer.png

But they also need Nike to supply them with merch. No win situation for the school.

Why? I'm quite sure Penn State can switch to UA, Reebok, Adidas, Russell, Starter, Umbro, Puma, and the corner store suppliers and pull off the exact same look they have now. They don't need Nike near as much as Nike needs them.

Pardon me, but I never changed the subject. I simply said if someone was going to make #1 statements then they need to back those statements up with fact on a Conference level.

That's ludicrous. We're talking about uniforms, mechandise sales, and the like. The prestige of the conference is entirely inconsequential.

You said teams go with modern looks to help recruitment and to increase merchandise sales. You then blasted Texas' traditional look, even though Texas manages to be number one in terms of recruitment and merchandise sales without a modern look.

Why? I'm quite sure Penn State can switch to UA, Reebok, Adidas, Russell, Starter, Umbro, Puma, and the corner store suppliers and pull off the exact same look they have now. They don't need Nike near as much as Nike needs them.

Exactly. Penn State will sell a ton of merchandise regardless of the manufacturer, and they want no part in a modern design that "pushes the envelope." So Nike can either force such a design and risk losing the cash cow that is Penn State to another manufacturer, or they can lay off, let Penn State rock the traditional look, and benefit from a cut of the merch sales. Penn State doesn't need Nike, Nike needs Penn State.

I'm sure there are plenty of out there Penn State designs on file at Nike, but they won't push it because they know Penn State won't go for it (and they don't have to).

The only fans of SEC schools that say "I cheer for the SEC when they aren't playing my school!" are the ones that somehow want to feel like they've won something when they haven't.....i.e., the ones that like to say "Our conference has won the past 5 national championships!".

The conference doesn't win national championships....individual schools do.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Florida, Tennessee, etc. go 2-10 or 4-8.

Archived