UGA Pro Combat

BlazerBlaze

Most everyone I've heard from people on campus and on Facebook like these. I'm still up in the air on these. I like the helmet, besides the stripe on the facemask. I like the all red look for a one time thing. I don't really like how they don't seem to be inspired by anything though. Seems to be like a filled on NPC template. I read somewhere that UGA is trying to do a "red-out" of the Bulldog Nation. They're encouraging UGA fans nationwide to wear red on the day of the game, whether they're going to the game or not.

Here's the PR from UGA.

http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082011aad.html

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually like the helmets, its unique and it is something I would expect to see Nike do. I'm kind of 50/50 on the facemask, its a cool idea but I just don't think it works.

The actual uniforms suck. They seem uninspired. It'll be interesting to see what the explanation nike has for the jersey's design because it just looks like they got lazy. I hate the flywire collars too, I didn't think flywire looked that great on the shoulders but they managed to screw it up even more by moving it to the collar.

I can see why the Georgia fans are disappointed. As a Alabama fan, I couldn't wait for the Pro Combats last year, finally Bama was going to sport a new uniform for one game only, and I was hoping for a white helmet just to change things up but nope the only thing they did different was put a invisible houndstooth pattern on the helmet and jerseys and cut the pants stripe in half.

What's really sad is it seems like UGA gave nike the green light to go crazy with these uniforms and the only thing they did was try something crazy with the helmet.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Yeah I blame Nike and UGA for not putting enough effort or real thought into the design. Agency font. No silver in jersey or pants. No pants design. Fill by section color pattern. No design element that truly is unique, modern, or has a relevant tie, and the helmet is not aesthetically presentable at all.

I understand if there are positive opinions around campus for this whole pro combat thing because from what I've heard, people are just excited for the advanced technology nike alternate blah blah "pro combat is so kewlllll!" .... stuff like that. People aren't looking at this design. It's pretty awful, I've made my opinions on the matter clear to my friends but clearly they don't really pay attention of the aesthetics of the design as much as myself or anyone on this forum. I hate this garbage nike cookie cutter template and everything it stands for. I don't know if this link has been posted but this is a decent article that sums up just how bad they are. I agree with most of the points.

Article.

As a UGA student I'm happy that nike chose us for this promotion, but as a design critic I think this uniform is horrendous and uninspired.

I actually like the helmet more than I thought I would. But as someone else posted...the uniform is pretty uninspired and the collar is very gimmicky and forced. I know the whole facemask thing also seems gimmicky and forced...but for me it kind of works.

I really liked the first group of Pro-Combat uniforms. It just seems like now they are trying way too hard. Actually it seems like they aren't even trying...which is a shame because I actually look forward to these each year.

I actually like the helmet more than I thought I would. But as someone else posted...the uniform is pretty uninspired and the collar is very gimmicky and forced. I know the whole facemask thing also seems gimmicky and forced...but for me it kind of works.

I really liked the first group of Pro-Combat uniforms. It just seems like now they are trying way too hard. Actually it seems like they aren't even trying...which is a shame because I actually look forward to these each year.

exactly. last years group was such a great bunch. they really put in a lot of research and work to bring out the best of the brands. those uniforms were dripping with school spirit and extremely well done. this UGA uniform isnt even half finished. theres no good reason for any of these choices. why the number font? why the black shoulders? why the stupid stripe? im almost certain theres a new art director for this years batch of PC's because Nike has done a total 180 from last year. or maybe they're letting their seasonal interns do the designs? this is something that represents the best of what Nike has to offer, the most creative designs on their best uniform template for their biggest schools. and we get this?

Nike gets away with a lot here because they're Nike. they're huge. but id be embarrassed to show this kind of work to a client of mine. im one of Nike's biggest fans, but they've really f***ed up on this one.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

"The Georgia Bulldogs are ready to jump all over the 2011 season in their new Nike Pro Combat uniforms. The red and black represents their ruthless style of play, and the silver is a nod to their last national championship season." --Nike

I love how they claim wearing silver is a tribute to the last time they finished first.

This description is even worse than Nike's usual tripe. As Pro Combat uniforms go, I don't mind the uniform, although Georgia is one of those teams that should never deviate from their traditional uniform.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

exactly. last years group was such a great bunch. they really put in a lot of research and work to bring out the best of the brands. those uniforms were dripping with school spirit and extremely well done. this UGA uniform isnt even half finished. theres no good reason for any of these choices. why the number font? why the black shoulders? why the stupid stripe? im almost certain theres a new art director for this years batch of PC's because Nike has done a total 180 from last year. or maybe they're letting their seasonal interns do the designs? this is something that represents the best of what Nike has to offer, the most creative designs on their best uniform template for their biggest schools. and we get this?

Nike gets away with a lot here because they're Nike. they're huge. but id be embarrassed to show this kind of work to a client of mine. im one of Nike's biggest fans, but they've really f***ed up on this one.

I think it is too early to judge this year's PC crop after only seeing 1 example. We should've known UGA wasn't going to let Nike do anything too crazy (though i agree they shouldn't have participated anyways).

I think it is too early to judge this year's PC crop after only seeing 1 example. We should've known UGA wasn't going to let Nike do anything too crazy (though i agree they shouldn't have participated anyways).

i do hate to jump to conclusions on 1 design but there was nothing this weak last year, not even close. its a shame.

i do wonder who was the final decision maker here, UGA or the Nike folk. with the consistency we saw from last years designs, id say the same team at Nike worked on them all and said "here you go" to the schools.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

i do hate to jump to conclusions on 1 design but there was nothing this weak last year, not even close. its a shame.

You did see Virginia Tech's uniform, right?

You did see Virginia Tech's uniform, right?

To be fair, these are weak for a totally different reason. Virginia Tech's looked like somebody overthought them - this is in the opposite direction.

I may be the only person in the world who thinks this, but Va Tech's '10 Pro Combat is my favorite college uniform. That's a side note though. Anyways, does anybody know the release date of the others? I would think Boise State would reveal theirs soon. Oregon as well.

Something still seems fishy here. You cant buy these anywhere. Normally Nike and UGA are so money hungry they would of been up online or at least at the book store when it opened this morning and my buddy back home said they weren't. hmmm...

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

Archived