UGA Pro Combat

BlazerBlaze

The only fans of SEC schools that say "I cheer for the SEC when they aren't playing my school!" are the ones that somehow want to feel like they've won something when they haven't.....i.e., the ones that like to say "Our conference has won the past 5 national championships!".

The conference doesn't win national championships....individual schools do.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Florida, Tennessee, etc. go 2-10 or 4-8.

Thank you. That's what I've been trying to say. You bet your ass I was cheering against Oregon in the BCS title game. I'll grudgingly accept a Pac-12 team winning it all but I won't support them along the way.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only fans of SEC schools that say "I cheer for the SEC when they aren't playing my school!" are the ones that somehow want to feel like they've won something when they haven't.....i.e., the ones that like to say "Our conference has won the past 5 national championships!".

Nothing would make me happier than to see Florida, Tennessee, etc. go 2-10 or 4-8.

You must be a fan of Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, or Ohio State. Although it was hard for me this last BCS championship to root against Oregon, but SEC rules in my house.

** Read this article about how College Uniforms help to lure college students to schools **

** Here is another article **

** Finally, here is one more article about finances and recruiting due to new uniforms **

spacer.png

.....I guess there's a reason they call it Southern Hospitality. And people wonder why chivalry is dead.....

Welcome back Ice_Cap.......nice of you to join us.

There is no "I" in conference! That is what is wrong with every other conference besides the SEC. It always comes down to I,I,I, and I. Learn how to treat people with respect and it will go a long way toward friendlier relationships.

spacer.png

There is an I in Pacific-12. Players don't play for the SEC or the Big Ten or the Big 12 or the Big East or the ACC. They play for Florida or Ohio State or Texas or Rutgers or Florida State.

You must be a fan of Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, or Ohio State.

He's a fan of Georgia.

That's supper. And schools like Texas, Penn State, Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, Florida, and USC don't need to resort to cool, slick uniforms to up recruitment and merchandise sales.

.....I guess there's a reason they call it Southern Hospitality. And people wonder why chivalry is dead.....

Thank...you?

There is no "I" in conference! That is what is wrong with every other conference besides the SEC. It always comes down to I,I,I, and I. Learn how to treat people with respect and it will go a long way toward friendlier relationships.

Yes, yes, the SEC is one loving family. That's why an Alabama fan sprayed weed killer all over an Auburn campus landmark.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

but SEC fans get a long with eachother like brothers and sisters on gameday. It's kind of like a 90,000 strong family reunion.

[threadjack alert]

Disagree. I'm really not sure what universe this is that you're referring to. :therock:

I traveled SEC football for 4 years with a team.

Unless your family reunions involve bags of urine being thrown (LSU), campus icons being destroyed (Bammers), getting flipped off by both grandmothers and their 2 year old grandchilden (UF,LSU, uGa), throwing beer bottles at an opponent's band halftime show (UGa), and getting spit at by those classy sorority girls (MissState, uga), then yeah, SEC games are one big happy reunion. And that's the abbreviated list of things I've seen at conference games.

Some SEC fanbases are better than others (Haven't had a problem with Vandy...), but don't paint conference games as some big come together kumbaya circle.

[/threadjack]

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

Then you're doing it wrong. Rooting for a conference foe shows disloyalty to your school.

Except when a conference foe's victory increases the respect, money or attention your conference will get. There are times when you have to close your eyes and hope your rival wins.

Yes, but at the same time "I cheer for a team that also got violated on the field by these guys" kind of rings hollow after awhile.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yes, yes, the SEC is one loving family. That's why an Alabama fan sprayed weed killer all over an Auburn campus landmark.

There are idiots in every family! Now I have been to almost every football stadium in the SEC and I have NEVER once had a problem with anyone. I have been to the World's Largest Cocktail Party and no trouble there. When I lived in Alabama, I went to Bama vs. Auburn and there was not issues there. As a basketball, I have been to a many SEC tournaments and even after we (KY) whipped on some of these teams, guess what? No incidents at any of the tournaments either. Now am I saying that fights never, no, but for the most part, any self-respecting Southeastern Conference fan will generally pull for their own conference to win it all. Keep it in the family.

spacer.png

That's because nobody in the SEC can get rage up for Kentucky.

Today, we are all otaku.

Looks like I contributed on putting this thread on a tanget...woops. sincere apologies.

Anyways, according to many students I've talked to, the red stripe on the helmet and facemask is supposed to represent Erk Russell, an assistant coach for UGA during the 1980 national title year. Russell became an infinite part of Georgia lore because he would but his bald head against helmets before games...

...which would cause him to bleed from his forehead. I actually admit this flew over my head, but it flew over everyone elses head as well...because not many UGA fans made that immediate connection and the representation was not publicized by Nike or UGA's SID.

Still, it's a terrible looking element and I dislike it, but if the claim is true I'll have to say I'll warm up to the design a little bit.

Looks like I contributed on putting this thread on a tanget...woops. sincere apologies.

Anyways, according to many students I've talked to, the red stripe on the helmet and facemask is supposed to represent Erk Russell, an assistant coach for UGA during the 1980 national title year. Russell became an infinite part of Georgia lore because he would but his bald head against helmets before games...

...which would cause him to bleed from his forehead. I actually admit this flew over my head, but it flew over everyone elses head as well...because not many UGA fans made that immediate connection and the representation was not publicized by Nike or UGA's SID.

Still, it's a terrible looking element and I dislike it, but if the claim is true I'll have to say I'll warm up to the design a little bit.

That is awesome! I love how Nike tries to represent past events in either the school or state history. Take KY for example, the shoulders on this years uniform is representative of the greatest Horse in history...Secretariat! I love this stuff and I love those helmets of the Bulldogs!!!!

spacer.png

Take KY for example, the shoulders on this years uniform is representative of the greatest Horse in history...Secretariat!

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the university.

That is awesome! I love how Nike tries to represent past events in either the school or state history. Take KY for example, the shoulders on this years uniform is representative of the greatest Horse in history...Secretariat! I love this stuff and I love those helmets of the Bulldogs!!!!

I thought you guys hated Louisville.

Today, we are all otaku.

Here's a photo for those who are not aware:

erkrussell_crop_340x234.jpg?1314098226

As for Kentucky, they really don't own that checkered-board pattern...but their rival does, so that makes zero sense.

It's like if Ohio State started wearing the winged helmet. The checkerboard pattern IS Tennessee athletics. It should be nowhere in the Kentucky's blueprint.

As for Kentucky, they really don't own that checkered-board pattern...but their rival does, so that makes zero sense.

It's like if Ohio State started wearing the winged helmet. The checkerboard pattern IS Tennessee athletics. It should be nowhere in the Kentucky's blueprint.

Why did I not make this connection before now?

Margaret.png
9JR5Pzv.png

I was just thinking that they added the checkerboard pattern to acknowledge our 26 straight wins in the series. You know, a sign of respect.

Why did I not make this connection before now?

Yeah, I wanted to whack myself in the forehead after I found out. See what I did there?

Archived