MLB Realignment

Lebda4Norris

Plus, I mean, it's not like Rogers Communications doesn't have money or anything...

But they'll only spend big time when they feel the team is ready to compete, not when almost literally every high-end free agent becomes available.

Then complain to them. Don't blame the divisional alignment on the ownership not spending when you see fit.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus, I mean, it's not like Rogers Communications doesn't have money or anything...

But they'll only spend big time when they feel the team is ready to compete, not when almost literally every high-end free agent becomes available.

Then blame your owners. It's not like the Yankees or Red Sox have the richest owners. They just have the owners most willing to spend to win. Nothing wrong with that, it's the American way. I mean in reality if you want to go by pure monetary value, the Twins are the richest team in baseball, but their owner is an old tightwad.

Then complain to them. Don't blame the divisional alignment on the ownership not spending when you see fit.

Congratulations! You just completely missed the point of what I said :D

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• 1 month later...

Hey, nobody actually answered the question!

1. Realignment will not happen next season.

2. However, if realignment should happen, then the only switch made will be the Astros moving from the NL Central to the AL West.

BN: No salary cap as excessive spending doesn't necessarily equate to your team winning the championship.

Then blame your owners. It's not like the Yankees or Red Sox have the richest owners. They just have the owners most willing to spend to win. Nothing wrong with that, it's the American way. I mean in reality if you want to go by pure monetary value, the Twins are the richest team in baseball, but their owner is an old tightwad.

He's also dead.

He's also dead.

Jim's dead? When did that happen?

It's not about the money.

It's all about the geographic consequences, pure and simple.

Heaven forbid, if the Astros move to the AL, the would be a HUGE geographic disparity in distance between Phoenix and Atlanta (sound familiar?). True ,Houston is Closer to Phoenix and Denver than it is to Kansas City and Minneapolis. Think of the geographic consequences that the Brewers suffer when they switched from the AL to NL- a little longer distance to Wrigley Field instead of Comiskey, but an even longer distance to Saint Louis than to the Metrodome.

In all honesty, maybe it is time for the Brewers to return to the AL Central and keep the Astros in the NL Central and end this stupid geographic disparity in MLB ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

He's also dead.

I thought you referring to Carl, who was old. I didn't know Jim was so old. :P

Heaven forbid, if the Astros move to the AL, the would be a HUGE geographic disparity in distance between Phoenix and Atlanta (sound familiar?). True ,Houston is Closer to Phoenix and Denver than it is to Kansas City and Minneapolis. Think of the geographic consequences that the Brewers suffer when they switched from the AL to NL- a little longer distance to Wrigley Field instead of Comiskey, but an even longer distance to Saint Louis than to the Metrodome.

In all honesty, maybe it is time for the Brewers to return to the AL Central and keep the Astros in the NL Central and end this stupid geographic disparity in MLB ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!

Wrigley Field is closer to Milwaukee than US Cellular Field. It's like 12 stops north on the Red Line, I believe....

Wrigley Field is closer to Milwaukee than US Cellular Field. It's like 12 stops north on the Red Line, I believe....

You are correct sir

Wrigley Field to Miller Park = 87 miles

US Cellular Field to Miller Park = 94 miles

This entire post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

He's also dead.

I thought you referring to Carl, who was old. I didn't know Jim was so old. :P

Carl was REALLY old. Jim is just old.

I've had a plan for MLB realignment for the last couple years...unfortunately, it won't work because it involves giving the AL two expansion teams (in this economy, nobody's even THINKING about expansion)

bYhYmxh.png

I'd prefer to see Arizona moved to the AL West, move Houston back into the NL West (where they were longtime rivals with the Dodgers, Giants & Padres). By doing this, most teams would have a natural/geographic interleague team.

AL East NL East

Yankees Mets

Red Sox Phillies

Orioles Nationals

Blue Jays Braves (Yes I know this is not a "natural" rivalry, but out of process of elimination, this is what's left)

Rays Marlins

AL Central NL Central

Tigers Pirates (Again, not the most natural geographic rivalry, but again process of elimination)

Indians Reds

Royals Cardinals

White Sox Cubs

Twins Brewers

AL West NL West

Diamondbacks Rockies (Semi-close geographically, and they are 2 of the newer teams as well)

Athletics Giants

Angels Dodgers

Mariners Padres

Rangers Astros

Keeping the 162 game regular season schedule, every team plays 18 divisional games vs. each of their 4 opponents. That's 72 games. 18 interleague games per season, 3 vs. your "natural" rival every year, and 15 games against one of the 3 divisions, on a rotating basis. This means for example the Yankees would play the Mets 3 times a year, but every 3rd year they'd play the Mets 6 times. That's 90. Then teams would play the other 10 teams in their own league 6 times (3 at home 3 on the road), for another 60 games, bringing us up to 150. The last 12 games would be played against last year's 1st place opponents in your own league. So for example, with this realignment, The Yankees would play 12 games instead of just 6 vs. the Texas Rangers & the Detroit Tigers. All 2nd place teams would play the other 2 2nd place teams, 3rd place teams vs 3rd place teams, and so on, similar to the way the NFL does it now.

Lastly, I would indeed have two wild card teams from each league qualify to play a 1 game playoff/play-in game. The #5 seed at the #4 seed for just 1 game. The winner of that game plays the #1 seed in the Division Series, even if the #1 seed is from the same division.

The first round would be a 7 game series. The 2nd & 3rd seeds would have to win 4 out of 7 to move onto the League Championship Series. Here's where I'd change the rule however. The #4 seed, the "Wild Card" would have to win 5 games while the top seed only has to win 3 games. The first 2 and the last 3 games would be hosted by the #1 seed in that series. So even if the wild card wins the first 4 games, they would not win the Division Series at home. This would in essence require the wild card to win 6 games to advance to the LCS, while the top seed would only have to win 3 games.

The LCS and World Series would still be best of 7. I myself would prefer to see the League Champion with the best regular season winning percentage get to host the World Series for games 1,2,6 & 7. In light of that however, I'd prefer to see them rotate like they used to.

One of the lamest and spazziest arguments against realignment, is that it would mean OOOOOOOO NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS that there would be an interleague game ever day of the season, as if that would cause the sun to collapse into a black hole.

Idiots.

Archived