The Packers logo

the_fan

I suspect that were you to poll people outside of Georgia, they wouldn't think "Bulldogs" first.

I'm not aware that anyone's asked the question "Why do the Packers use Georgia's logo?", whereas it is often posed the other way around.

I was asked this question by my cousin Sunday during the Packers/Vikings game. The majority of the southeast sees that as the Georgia G. I live in Florida and think of Georgia when I see that G. College football is very popular around here. How much time have you spent down here?

I honestly think that people outside the Southeast really underestimate how much college football overpowers NFL...10 to 1 at least. How your team does on Saturday is what makes or breaks how you will feel the rest of the week...Sunday football is just a added bonus to being lazy on the couch before work comes the next day!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where i love the G, and i hope they never take it away or change it, i also love the Old Heisman pose over Wisconsin logo. i love how they are incorporating it on the visors and such now. i think that logo is an all time classic

Kind of hard to see but yeah

Nick Collins 1

Yeah, they started that last year.

IMO - these are the best "G" marks:

GeorgetownU_PMK1a_2005-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

GeorgetownU_PMK2a_2005-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Belonging, ironically, to a college that used the Packers G on its helmets for several years.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If Georgia was an actual football powerhouse, I'd understand there being an argument over the "G", but the Packers helmet is one of the most easily recognizable logos in sports. It's up there with the Yankees ballcap and Dallas Cowboys helmet.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Like I said before, Georgia only started using that logo 3 years after Green Bay. So unless you were born before 1961, I would say you can clearly (and fairly) associate the G logo with both Georgia and Green Bay.

Georgia is not the big football powerhouse it probably should be...but they play in the SEC where college football rules everything. I think it's unfair to label them as just a school that stole the Green Bay logo.

When I see the "G" in that script, I think of:

1st - Packers

2nd - Grambling

3rd - all others

Okay, you just lost all credibility. Grambling, really?

Look, I know it's tough for an Ohio State fan to see a logo from an SEC school and not run away...but not recognizing Georgia before Grambling is a little out there. Do you even know where Grambling is without Google?

It is one of those things like the Yankee's NY, can it be better? No...it seems like they got it right the first time. There have been thousands of Packer concepts on these boards through the years, and while many of the uniforms have been better, the G logo has not been eclipsed. Perhaps it could be tweaked a bit like the SF of the 49'ers but a complete scrapping. I doubt you will see anything better. In regards to the GA Bulldogs use...we are viewing it through 2011 eyes, but 80 years ago I doubt many people in GA new much about the Packers and vice versa. Remember up until the 50's the collage game was a bigger deal than the NFL. But if you think you have a better idea for the Packers...well post it.

To which of the Yankees NY logos do you refer? :P

yankeelogos.png

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think of Grambling 2nd because of the importance of that school. I'm pro-SEC, not anti. SEC is college football. But that being said, Georgia is nothing more than a tagalong in that conference. Pretty much the same as Minnesota and Northwestern in the Big Ten. Regardless, that "G" is pure Green Bay Packers.

BTW, what did tOSU have to do with anything? SEC whoops their @ss in Bowl Games....I accept that.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

I suspect that were you to poll people outside of Georgia, they wouldn't think "Bulldogs" first.

I'm not aware that anyone's asked the question "Why do the Packers use Georgia's logo?", whereas it is often posed the other way around.

I was asked this question by my cousin Sunday during the Packers/Vikings game. The majority of the southeast sees that as the Georgia G. I live in Florida and think of Georgia when I see that G. College football is very popular around here. How much time have you spent down here?

I honestly think that people outside the Southeast really underestimate how much college football overpowers NFL...10 to 1 at least. How your team does on Saturday is what makes or breaks how you will feel the rest of the week...Sunday football is just a added bonus to being lazy on the couch before work comes the next day!

You obviously don't live in Wisconsin then, or are a Packer fan. i totally understand how college football is down there and i respect that and think thats awesome. but what college football is to you, the Packers are to Wisconsinites

You obviously don't live in Wisconsin then, or are a Packer fan. i totally understand how college football is down there and i respect that and think thats awesome. but what college football is to you, the Packers are to Wisconsinites

I was referring to the Southeast...and why whenever anyone sees that G logo, they are going to think Georgia- because college football comes first. People look forward all week to their favorite college team playing...then you have some fans of NFL teams (Falcons, Bucs, Jags, Panthers) that will watch on Sunday, but they are tired from the day before!

I spent plenty of time in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area, and I went to school at the University of Florida. Most people think of the Packers when they see that G until you hit just north of Orlando.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Count me as another Packers fan who isn't completely in love with the G. Three distinctive generations of Packer teams have won championships with it, so while I definitely appreciate the history behind it and wouldn't want them to change for that reason, the implication that the city's name is "Greenbay" really bothers me. I much prefer the interlocking GB from the Lombardi-era that was worn on sideline caps.

When I see the "G" in that script, I think of:

1st - Packers

2nd - Grambling

3rd - all others

Okay, you just lost all credibility. Grambling, really?

Look, I know it's tough for an Ohio State fan to see a logo from an SEC school and not run away...but not recognizing Georgia before Grambling is a little out there. Do you even know where Grambling is without Google?

I'm from Milwaukee, a city that sends a lot of students to Grambling, but even I think of UGa before Grambling. Methinks Mr. Seoul just enjoys being contratian :D

Count me as another Packers fan who isn't completely in love with the G. Three distinctive generations of Packer teams have won championships with it, so while I definitely appreciate the history behind it and wouldn't want them to change for that reason, the implication that the city's name is "Greenbay" really bothers me. I much prefer the interlocking GB from the Lombardi-era that was worn on sideline caps.

I knew there was something I liked about you. :)

I was referring to the Southeast...and why whenever anyone sees that G logo, they are going to think Georgia- because college football comes first. People look forward all week to their favorite college team playing...then you have some fans of NFL teams (Falcons, Bucs, Jags, Panthers) that will watch on Sunday, but they are tired from the day before!

im not disagreeing with you, because i believe you. my grandparents live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama so i have been a Tide fan since the Shula days. and being down there i completely understand. What I'm saying is how you feel about Saturdays We feel about Sundays. everything is planned around the Packer Games up here. so i get how the logo is recognizable in the SE with Georgia, but besides that, it is universally known as the Green Bay Packers

I spent plenty of time in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area, and I went to school at the University of Florida. Most people think of the Packers when they see that G until you hit just north of Orlando.

...and how do you come to that conclusion? Honestly, what about the rest of the whole southeast that recognizes the symbol as Georgia makes the bottom half of Florida different and recognize it as Green Bay?

... and not to mention about a ZILLION high schools use that same G logo, so it either can't be that bad, or they were just too lazy or cheap to do something original.

Georgetown, Greer, Greenville, and Greenwood High schools in SC all use that logo but at least its recolored

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Archived