The Packers logo

the_fan

... and not to mention about a ZILLION high schools use that same G logo, so it either can't be that bad, or they were just too lazy or cheap to do something original.

Georgetown, Greer, Greenville, and Greenwood High schools in SC all use that logo but at least its recolored

IIRC Greer uses a recolored version of the "G" that Georgia uses and Georgia Tech's Yellow Jacket. That always made me chuckle a bit.

Edit: Verified, as you can see in this link

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems apparent that it is a regional thing. The Northeast, Midwest and I would guess most of the West see it as the Packers' logo first, while in SEC country they see Georgia first.

But can I just add how ironic I think it is that the SEC has the most rabid fanbase around, yet I would hazard to guess that 9 out of 10 diehard SEC fans did not attend an SEC school, and that a good number, maybe 50% never went to college at all. I get it, the college comes to represent the state in some weird way, but it has always struck me as funny when folks who never even thought of attending a school are all decked out in that school's merchandise.

I root for Indiana and Wisconsin because I attended Indiana and Wisconsin. I grew up in NY but you won't find me rooting for Syracuse or any other NY college team (not that there are any of note) because I DIDN'T STUDY THERE.

Nothing wrong with it, I suppose. It is all money that goes to the school in one way or another, but it just seems weird.

For me personally it comes from watching games as a kid. It's not like you attend college a child so should you not pull for a team? I was accepted to Texas A&M and loved the Aggies growing up. When it came to actually paying for my own college I had to stay home and go to Lamar instead. I've always pulled for Lamar and Texas A&M but I will pull for LU against A&M since I did attend that school.

This all sounds like a challenge for a concept. The premise is, the Green Bay Packers have never existed before, but will be a new NFL franchise for next season. They don't have a logo or helmet logo. What would you all come up with?

I think of Grambling 2nd because of the importance of that school. I'm pro-SEC, not anti. SEC is college football. But that being said, Georgia is nothing more than a tagalong in that conference. Pretty much the same as Minnesota and Northwestern in the Big Ten. Regardless, that "G" is pure Green Bay Packers.

BTW, what did tOSU have to do with anything? SEC whoops their @ss in Bowl Games....I accept that.

>>>>>>

I wouldn't refer to Georgia as a tagalong, they're just on a bad run, and this is coming from a Yellow Jacket fan. If we're talking college football in the Big 10, how could you put Northwestern on the same level as Minnesota? I saw the Cats play a great season and then advance to the Rose Bowl in '95. I don't remember the Gophers ever being relevant in my lifetime...

Have you ever heard of Indiana Hoosier football, if you can call it football ... , Indiana football should be tossed out of the Big 10. They're like the old St Louis Browns in MLB. Dude what have you been drinking?

I find myself conflicted by the logo...First I have to push my distaste for the team aside...

But it DOES look good on a helmet. It took me coming to these boards to think about the whole "Greenbay" thing...but now it bugs me. It's like the Giants using an "N" or the Niners using and "S".

Ultimately, it would be silly to change now, as I don't think most fans have an issue with it and it is associated with long-term success of the most important franchise in the NFL.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

But can I just add how ironic I think it is that the SEC has the most rabid fanbase around, yet I would hazard to guess that 9 out of 10 diehard SEC fans did not attend an SEC school, and that a good number, maybe 50% never went to college at all.

It's because they see the dominance of the SEC as kind of a South-will-rise-again thing more than just rooting for a school they went to or lived near. By having the most competitive college football, the former Confederate states have, in their own special way, triumphantly reinstitutionalized not paying black people for physical labor.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think of Grambling 2nd because of the importance of that school. I'm pro-SEC, not anti. SEC is college football. But that being said, Georgia is nothing more than a tagalong in that conference. Pretty much the same as Minnesota and Northwestern in the Big Ten. Regardless, that "G" is pure Green Bay Packers.

BTW, what did tOSU have to do with anything? SEC whoops their @ss in Bowl Games....I accept that.

>>>>>>

I wouldn't refer to Georgia as a tagalong, they're just on a bad run, and this is coming from a Yellow Jacket fan. If we're talking college football in the Big 10, how could you put Northwestern on the same level as Minnesota? I saw the Cats play a great season and then advance to the Rose Bowl in '95. I don't remember the Gophers ever being relevant in my lifetime...

Have you ever heard of Indiana Hoosier football, if you can call it football ... , Indiana football should be tossed out of the Big 10. They're like the old St Louis Browns in MLB. Dude what have you been drinking?

Ok, add Indiana to the list too. No biggie.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

But can I just add how ironic I think it is that the SEC has the most rabid fanbase around, yet I would hazard to guess that 9 out of 10 diehard SEC fans did not attend an SEC school, and that a good number, maybe 50% never went to college at all.

It's because they see the dominance of the SEC as kind of a South-will-rise-again thing more than just rooting for a school they went to or lived near. By having the most competitive college football, the former Confederate states have, in their own special way, triumphantly reinstitutionalized not paying black people for physical labor.

What an incredibly stupid misinformed comment...

niagaraq.png

While it can't be denied that racism underscores a lot of the "South Will Rise Again" nonsense, and fuels Confederacy apologists, I am reluctant to attribute it to SEC fans in any great measure.

I think it's more about the NFL's foothold in the area being relatively recent. For the most part, pro football clubs are interlopers in established college territory (one of the reasons I think the Jaguars struggle so to get noticed).

But can I just add how ironic I think it is that the SEC has the most rabid fanbase around, yet I would hazard to guess that 9 out of 10 diehard SEC fans did not attend an SEC school, and that a good number, maybe 50% never went to college at all. I get it, the college comes to represent the state in some weird way, but it has always struck me as funny when folks who never even thought of attending a school are all decked out in that school's merchandise.

Well, that is the way it is and that's the way it has been since people started caring about college sports. The majority of people any any college football game anywhere in the country didn't attent that school. In the SEC, most of the schools don't have pro teams nearby and the people follow the schools like they were pro teams. I don't think it's ironic that someone who didn't go to college roots for a college team. Are you suggesting that people who didn't go to college shouldn't follow college sports? I've lived in Chicagoland my entire life, and I followed Notre Dame when I started getting in to college football. I rooted for Northwestern in the '90s during and after their Rose Bowl season. In the late '90s I started getting into Illinois football and basketball, and once I attended Illinois, I lost all allegiance to other teams (and actually grew to hate ND and NU). With me being a Big Ten guy, it's hard to judge people who didn't go to big schools. I have friends who went to Illinois State or Southern Illinois. So, should they not follow big time college sports because they went to inconsequential schools? I don't get it. Most of the time people root for teams which are nearby them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

People rooting for colleges they didn't attend happens EVERYWHERE. I don't know why the SEC would stand out for that in some people's minds.

I grew up on the border of Georgia and Florida. Tallahassee was much closer to me than Athens and Atlanta so I became a Florida State fan...in the State of Georgia. That is not unusual and someone brought up a great point. Pro Sports is relatively new in the south. Most States in the South still don't have pro teams.

People rooting for colleges they didn't attend happens EVERYWHERE. I don't know why the SEC would stand out for that in some people's minds.

I grew up on the border of Georgia and Florida. Tallahassee was much closer to me than Athens and Atlanta so I became a Florida State fan...in the State of Georgia. That is not unusual and someone brought up a great point. Pro Sports is relatively new in the south. Most States in the South still don't have pro teams.

As a Floridian I'd say it's rampant.

And I agree with the SEC being the biggest fanboy conference. I'd say 90% of the Gators fans I know didn't attend school there. There are also groups of Alabama fans, Georgia fans, Tennessee fans, and other SEC teams fans that I know never attended the school. I'd say the Gators are the biggest example.

But people have reasons usually. Someone they knew went there, growing up near there as you did. I mean, I'm a Hurricanes fan and could never afford to attend that school. But I've liked them since I was younger and always will. I just think it's more obvious with SEC teams, maybe because they're already popular to begin with?

As for the Packers logo. It sucks. It's a G. That's just super.

2ly2w09.jpg

I got shot down by the FSU baseball team if that counts...But I didn't go there. Then again, I liked FSU since I was a little kid. Most fans of teams start their loyalty towards that team before they are old enough to attend.

Well, that is the way it is and that's the way it has been since people started caring about college sports. The majority of people any any college football game anywhere in the country didn't attent that school. In the SEC, most of the schools don't have pro teams nearby and the people follow the schools like they were pro teams. I don't think it's ironic that someone who didn't go to college roots for a college team. Are you suggesting that people who didn't go to college shouldn't follow college sports? I've lived in Chicagoland my entire life, and I followed Notre Dame when I started getting in to college football. I rooted for Northwestern in the '90s during and after their Rose Bowl season. In the late '90s I started getting into Illinois football and basketball, and once I attended Illinois, I lost all allegiance to other teams (and actually grew to hate ND and NU). With me being a Big Ten guy, it's hard to judge people who didn't go to big schools. I have friends who went to Illinois State or Southern Illinois. So, should they not follow big time college sports because they went to inconsequential schools? I don't get it. Most of the time people root for teams which are nearby them.

sec fans prefer to watch their for-pay football players on saturdays

I think the only issue about the Packers' G is that it's only a G instead of a GB.

Let's say the name of the town is Greenbay instead of Green Bay. Then let's compare this logo to other letter logos.

It's a pretty cool letter that fits well on the helmet. It uses the colors well. It's easily identifiable. It's not cluttered. Of all the letter logos in the NFL, it probably stands out the most. Forget the tradition behind it, which is a totally other matter in favor of it. It's still a very nice G.

Again, the problem is it's a G instead of GB.

Call it a quirk in the logo, and compare it to other helmets that have quirks. It's better than the Steelers' having the logo on one side of the helmet because the only -- ONLY -- reason the Steelers keep having the logo on one side is tradition. It's better than the Browns not having any logo because, again, the only reason for them not having a logo is tradition. It's better than the Flying Elvis. It's better than the ultra-cluttered Jets logo. It's better than the stupid Ravens logo with the B on the bird.

Now let's throw tradition into the mix, and you've got a no-brainer. This is a good logo. No, not the best in the NFL, but pretty darn good.

It seems like pretty much every comment I see on here about the Bears logo says they basically stole the Reds design (which is untrue, tons of teams have used the wishbone C and the Bears at least changed it up a little bit).

See you say things like it being tied with a dynasty and it being recognizable, and while that's a good reason for never changing it, it doesn't make it a good logo. If the Thunder won 10 Championships with their logo would it be good?

Maybe I was a little harsh, it doesn't flat out suck, but it seems way too plain to be considered one of football's best.

Since when is 'plainness' a characteristic that eliminates a logo from being considrered the best? Plain is a good characteristic in a logo... most of the time (meaning almost always). It's a characteristic that allows a logo to survive decade to decade without looking dated. Plain is always 'in' so to speak, because it doesn't represent a certain trendy fashion, like, say, the Ravens' logo does, but rather, it represents a style that never truly fades.

Truth be told, yes, the Packers' G has all the characteristics and cache of a logo that is the heart of a great brand. However, we all have our own aesthetic opinions, and from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I really don't like the Packers' G. For one, I've never been a fan of oval logos. They look cheap to me. Maybe it's because there are so many pee wee teams, high schools, and small colleges that use them, but they just never really fit my fancy for whatever reason. The Packers' is the least cheap-looking for what it's worth, but that's like saying your girlfriend is the most wholesome slut in school. Second, it's not executed very well, which you can see by eyeballing the choppy curves around the inner portion of the letterform. Lastly, they really should use a GB logo. I've heard a lot of Wisconsonians pronounce the name more like 'GREENbay,' but it's still Green Bay and should be treated just like New York when using a monogram. No one would ever use just an 'N' for New York, right?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

>>>>>>>>

Makes sense Andrew.

On the the other hand that logo goes hand in hand with the Packers. I like the logo and would never wanna see them tweak it like SF did. I like SF's with the slight black added into the mix.

When you mentioned NY, it reminded me of how very much I hated it when upon bringing the old style back in '98 they tweaked it from having a pointed logo like a football, and the decal mounted on a 45° angle to an oval and mounted level. Why did they see fit to change it to an oval-shape? I hate it !!! The Namath-era one was so much better.

Archived