Get a Share of the Pack

Mac the Knife

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't other teams do this to raise money for renovations and so forth? Is it because they're privately held and to make whatever changes would be necessary to issue shares would be disadvantageous compared to the income? I think their books would have to be public and so on if they issued shares.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Why don't other teams do this to raise money for renovations and so forth? Is it because they're privately held and to make whatever changes would be necessary to issue shares would be disadvantageous compared to the income? I think their books would have to be public and so on if they issued shares.

Yes, they'd have to "open the books," as the Cleveland Indians and Florida Panthers did back when they were public companies.

I'm convinced though that, ultimately, all pro sports teams at the largest levels will need to take this kind of course - every time the Packers generate $20M through nothing more than issuing paper and giving buyers a vote, it gets attention. I suspect eventually there'll be franchises with a majority owner who meets a league-imposed voting power requirement with the rest being publicly traded; preferred shares without voting rights are also an option if it's just about raising money.

With team values now in the billions and fewer and fewer people able to join the club at that price, it's bound to happen more often than not down the road. May take another quarter century, but it'll happen.

nav-logo.png

The NFL won't let any other teams do that. They prefer to deal with single majority owners, and as you noted the books would have to be opened to the shareholders, something no company prefers.

Not to mention that selling shares, and having shareholders, opens the club to additional regulatory complications. Again, corporations would all be private if they could.

More often than not? I disagree strongly. More likely teams will assume another minority partner than open themselves up to SEC scrutiny.

Yes, they'd have to "open the books," as the Cleveland Indians and Florida Panthers did back when they were public companies.

I'm convinced though that, ultimately, all pro sports teams at the largest levels will need to take this kind of course - every time the Packers generate $20M through nothing more than issuing paper and giving buyers a vote, it gets attention. I suspect eventually there'll be franchises with a majority owner who meets a league-imposed voting power requirement with the rest being publicly traded; preferred shares without voting rights are also an option if it's just about raising money.

With team values now in the billions and fewer and fewer people able to join the club at that price, it's bound to happen more often than not down the road. May take another quarter century, but it'll happen.

Also, when the Indians went public, they lost 15% of the income generated ($60M) paying for the initial filing itself.

I'm torn. I really want to buy a share, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $250 to give up my right to publicly criticize "any NFL Club, it's management, employees, coaches or any official employed by the NFL," which NFL owners are prohibited from doing, as outlined on pg 5 of the Prospectus.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

I must have a great wife. When I told her about the stock sale she said yes without any hesitations. She even switched from being a Viking fan to now a Packer fan now that we bought our share. I'm proud to say I'm glad being an NFL minority owner.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

I'm torn. I really want to buy a share, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $250 to give up my right to publicly criticize "any NFL Club, it's management, employees, coaches or any official employed by the NFL," which NFL owners are prohibited from doing, as outlined on pg 5 of the Prospectus.

Yeah, because (a) you've been so hypercritical of the league to date, and (B) your voice is heard far and wide, including within the inner sanctum of the NFL's offices.

In short, don't sweat it. Buy the share.

nav-logo.png

Update on how the sale is going. Just heard on the radio that so far 185,000 shares have been sold in 48 hours! These things are going like hotcakes. My suggestion, get them while supplies last! Only 65,000 remain, and that number might dwindle significantly in the next 24 hours. Time is running out lol.

packchampionslfroh.png

185,000 shares at $250 each is over $46 million dollars.

In two days.

Holy :censored: .

Impressive. I'd say it's almost a certainty that they bump up the offering beyond the initial 250,000 now. It'd actually potentially be malfeasance if they didn't, considering that the alternative is borrowing a portion of the money for the expansion.

I haven't bought my kids theirs yet; I was going to wait until late in the offering, after I've paid off some long standing bills. Right now though even buying one more share at $250 (I have an odd number from the '97 offering, and don't want them fighting over the last one when I die... LOL) is out of my range.

nav-logo.png

I was really surprised to come home Tuesday afternoon and be able to purchase a share some 12 hours after the offering began. 250,000 is a lot, but Apple sells that many iPads on launch day and those are twice as much.

I thought there would have been a much more competitive market for (relatively) inexpensive shares of an NFL team. For the cost of taking a family of four to an NFL game, you can get a literal piece of one. The value proposition speaks for itself in a way that planned-obsolescent gadgets can't. Go figure.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived