Get a Share of the Pack

Mac the Knife

I'm intrigued by this SB ring benefit for shareholders. Gothamite, you said "special" rings; do you know the details? Surely it's not identical to a player ring (who could afford $30K in any case?). Does anyone have one, or has anyone seen one?

Edit: never mind. Google is your friend. Last year's edition, from The Wearing of the Green (and Gold):

===

These rings start at $399 for White Lustrium® and cubic zirconia, and go up to $2400 for 10k white gold and diamonds. They are available only to shareholders, and only through the Packers Pro Shop.

2010_ShareholderRing1.jpg

2010_ShareholderRing3.jpg

2010_ShareholderRing2.jpg

You can trust that guy; he really knows his stuff. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here you go!

Here's what we know so far:

The Green Bay Packers today announced preliminary details for the organization?s upcoming stock offering, just the fifth in its 92-year history, which will commence on Dec. 6 at 8 a.m. CST.

More information, including the formal offering document, will be available when the offering commences. Interested fans will be able to access the full information online at www.Packers.com.

?We appreciate the interest that fans have expressed in our fifth stock offering,? said Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy. ?We are not yet in a position to fully discuss the offering. However, this information will answer some of the initial questions that we?ve received. We look forward to formally launching the offering next week.

?We ask fans to look for details Dec. 6 on Packers.com.?

Following is a list of details currently available:

• The price per share will be $250, and there will be a handling charge.
  • The offering will be limited to persons in the United States, as well as Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
  • Until regulators in the states of New Hampshire and Virginia allow the offering to proceed in those states, residents of those states will not be able to purchase shares.
  • Shares will be able to be purchased online with credit or debit cards, and also via mail.
  • Only individuals (including spouses as joint tenants) will be able to purchase shares.
  • The Packers will initially offer 250,000 shares.
  • No one may buy more than 200 shares (counting any shares that the person purchased in the 1997-1998 offering).
  • The offering will continue until Feb. 29, 2012, subject to extension.

In contemplation of the offering, interested fans should note:

• Stock in the Packers does not constitute an investment in ?stock? in the common sense of the term.
  • The Packers will have no obligation to repay the amount a buyer pays to purchase Packers stock.
  • Anyone considering the purchase of Packers stock should not purchase the stock to make a profit or to receive a dividend or tax deduction or any other economic benefits.
  • Any offering of Packers stock will only be made through an offering document.
  • The Packers believe offerees and purchasers of Packers stock will not receive the protection of securities laws with respect to any offering or sale of Packers stock.
  • The Packers bylaws and NFL rules severely restrict transfers of Packers stock.

Full details will be released on Packers.com on December 6th.

We are on it. The GF is going to be online and at the ready at 9am (8 central) on Tuesday morning. Your worst nightmare is about to come true, Gothamite, people like me are going to own the Packers. B)

Seriously, I can't wait for this. If the Pack repeat this year, you can bet your asses that I'll be buying one of those shareholder rings.

BB52Big.jpg

Stock in the Packers does not constitute an investment in ?stock? in the common sense of the term.

The Packers will have no obligation to repay the amount a buyer pays to purchase Packers stock.

Anyone considering the purchase of Packers stock should not purchase the stock to make a profit or to receive a dividend or tax deduction or any other economic benefits.

So it's not real stock? Then what are you buying?

sig-1.png

Stock in the Packers does not constitute an investment in "stock" in the common sense of the term.

The Packers will have no obligation to repay the amount a buyer pays to purchase Packers stock.

Anyone considering the purchase of Packers stock should not purchase the stock to make a profit or to receive a dividend or tax deduction or any other economic benefits.

It means that it is not traded in any stock market in the world, nor cannot be traded with any other person or entity. Once you buy it, you do own a very low percentage of the Green Bay Packers Franchise for life. I think there is something in the bylaws of it though, that it can be willed down to future generations upon death. I might be wrong on that last part and know that Gotham owns a share or more, so he's got the inside skinny on all the rules and regulations.

I can't afford it right now, but if they extend it and I have disposable income I might really consider it.

packchampionslfroh.png

My brother and I are each getting a share for the holidays. :grin:

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Kinda sucks Canadians can't get them.

It does, but that's probably a SEC restriction. Just like people in New Hampshire and Virginia can't, because the team hasn't been able to get approval from the regulatory agencies in those states. Selling securities is a very complicated business.

It is stock, just stock with significant restrictions upon it. And yes, you can pass it along to heirs or family members. So no worries there. I'm interested in the gift-to-minors provisions, since I'll be buying one for each of my kids. Again, it's complicated - generally speaking, kids can't own stock in their own name (or at least used not to be able). Might have to buy shares in my own name and pass them along as each of the kids turn 18.

Stock in the Packers does not constitute an investment in ?stock? in the common sense of the term.

A shot at getting one of these...

2010_ShareholderRing1.jpg

The right to call yourself a "minority owner" of an NFL team.

A really cool piece of memorabilia to frame and hang on your wall.

That's more than enough for me.

BB52Big.jpg

Kinda sucks Canadians can't get them.

It does, but that's probably a SEC restriction. Just like people in New Hampshire and Virginia can't, because the team hasn't been able to get approval from the regulatory agencies in those states. Selling securities is a very complicated business.

It is stock, just stock with significant restrictions upon it. And yes, you can pass it along to heirs or family members. So no worries there. I'm interested in the gift-to-minors provisions, since I'll be buying one for each of my kids. Again, it's complicated - generally speaking, kids can't own stock in their own name (or at least used not to be able). Might have to buy shares in my own name and pass them along as each of the kids turn 18.

Makes sense. Well maybe if they ever want to get Lambeau to 100,000 seats, they'll do another share selling, and maybe by then it will be open to everyone.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Possibly. Think Virginia will have joined the Union by then? :P

When tallying up what you get, don't forget the right to vote at the shareholders meeting, and the shareholder reports. That's not nothing. ;)

There isn't a thing about this that isn't great. It's entirely possible that I'm just a major sports geek, but I can barely contain my excitement at the idea of buying Packers stock. In my mind, this is about the coolest sports related thing I've ever done. Silly me, I made the mistake of mentioning on Facebook that I was buying Packers stock. Now I'm being inundated with "you're bailing on the Browns?" comments. Frankly, I think that may be the end result. I'm not sure because I don't actually own the stock yet, but I think I'm going to find it very difficult to root for anyone other than the team that I have couple grand tied up in*.

* I'm assuming that since they're saying the stock is a great Christmas gift, I can put anyone's name on the certificates. If so, I'm getting them for me, my brother, and my two nieces and nephews. That's gonna add up pretty quick.

BB52Big.jpg

I think someone here (I forget who) said they bought stock in the Packers so they could have a legal claim to otherwise private NFL documentation (financial records, etc.) as a minority franchise owner.

I think there is something in the bylaws of it though, that it can be willed down to future generations upon death. I might be wrong on that last part and know that Gotham owns a share or more, so he's got the inside skinny on all the rules and regulations.

Actually, I have a copy of the Bylaws and have read them pretty extensively. Yes, there are pretty tight restrictions on share transfers - they may only be transferred to a member of your immediate family (e.g., parent, child, spouse, etc.). You needn't die before such a transfer though; you can certainly do it while living. The Packers are what is called a "non-profit stock corporation," a concept which doesn't exist in most states (and doesn't in Wisconsin anymore; the Packers are one of a few who were created before the law was repealed).

The tight restrictions on the transfer of shares are based in the NFL's Constitution and Bylaws, which are similar. Every individual shareholder of an NFL club, even the Packers, must receive league approval. That's why the restrictions are so tight, and the process generally takes a while.

nav-logo.png

Archived