Get a Share of the Pack

Mac the Knife

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Care to share what some of the "not so well known" perks are with someone on the fence?

EDIT: Looks like Gothamite posted some while I was typing. Thanks. Any others?

As a shareholder who knew what and whom to ask I, for one, have gained access to certain proprietary web sites and/or financial/confidential information which I wouldn't have without it, for instance.

Also, how many shares does it take to get a ring if they win a Superbowl?

20,000 minimum. It's only a $ 5M commitment!

Seriously, the answer is one.

And for those wondering, my sources tell me the offering will be announced via packers.com no later than Thanksgiving weekend.

nav-logo.png

Care to share what some of the "not so well known" perks are with someone on the fence?

EDIT: Looks like Gothamite posted some while I was typing. Thanks. Any others?

As a shareholder who knew what and whom to ask I, for one, have gained access to certain proprietary web sites and/or financial/confidential information which I wouldn't have without it, for instance.

Also, how many shares does it take to get a ring if they win a Superbowl?

20,000 minimum. It's only a $ 5M commitment!

Seriously, the answer is one.

And for those wondering, my sources tell me the offering will be announced via packers.com no later than Thanksgiving weekend.

Any idea if they'll notify people via email? I just subscribed just in case.

We just discussed it. My GF and I are getting at least five shares each. (Last of the big spenders right?) Once I'm a stockholder in the Packers, the Cleveland Browns can kiss my ass good-bye. I'll have over two grand wrapped up in the Packers. This is the excuse I've been waiting for! B)

BB52Big.jpg

Will they be selling it from their website or another source?

They will need a full offering circular approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission. I presume that the sale itself will be conducted by a securities broker, as was the prior stock sale.

That having been said, I also presume that there will at least be a link from the Packers' main site and/or the Packers Pro Shop. Same as they do with the Super Bowl XLV rings, which are actually sold by Jostens via a portal on the PPS.

So to buy stock from a securities broker, do you need to do anything special? Or will I most likely be able to log on somewhere and use a credit card to buy one?

Also, as a shareholder, can you obtain a replacement certificate if yours becomes lost or damaged? Because if you can (and it costs less than $1,000 to do so), I totally would've taken the dude's money that offered me a grand for the piece of paper.

So to buy stock from a securities broker, do you need to do anything special? Or will I most likely be able to log on somewhere and use a credit card to buy one?

Also, as a shareholder, can you obtain a replacement certificate if yours becomes lost or damaged? Because if you can (and it costs less than $1,000 to do so), I totally would've taken the dude's money that offered me a grand for the piece of paper.

It will be as simple as filling out a form and handing over your credit card. I think I bought mine via check last time.

As I recall, there are prerequisites to ownership that you have to meet, hence the form, but IIRC they're the kind of thing that you probably don't have to worry about. For example, I believe NFL by-laws prohibit ownership in more than one franchise, so the Maras and Rooneys won't be able to buy a piece of the Pack. You'll also likely have to certify that you've read and understood the offering circular.

As for replacement certificates, absolutely you can order them. But be careful about selling your paper - and again, I'm going from memory here and the rules might have changed anyway - you have to certify that your certificate was lost or destroyed, and if it turns up at auction somewhere with your name and address on it the team could deem you in violation of the shareholder agreement and revoke your share. It's not a resale item, which is why they so rarely hit the collectibles market.

It will be as simple as filling out a form and handing over your credit card. I think I bought mine via check last time.

As I recall, there are prerequisites to ownership that you have to meet, hence the form, but IIRC they're the kind of thing that you probably don't have to worry about. For example, I believe NFL by-laws prohibit ownership in more than one franchise, so the Maras and Rooneys won't be able to buy a piece of the Pack. You'll also likely have to certify that you've read and understood the offering circular.

As for replacement certificates, absolutely you can order them. But be careful about selling your paper - and again, I'm going from memory here and the rules might have changed anyway - you have to certify that your certificate was lost or destroyed, and if it turns up at auction somewhere with your name and address on it the team could deem you in violation of the shareholder agreement and revoke your share. It's not a resale item, which is why they so rarely hit the collectibles market.

If somebody related to them dies and an owner of a team inherits the shares, does the NFL force them to sell them?

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Please remember that I haven't read the new offering circular, nor have I read the old offering circular since 1997 or 1998, but in that situation, my understanding would be yes. The new owners would have to divest themselves of the shares, as they failed to meet ownership requirements. That could mean giving them to another family member who wasn't conflicted out of ownership, or selling them (which, under the shareholder agreement, means returning them to the team, since they cannot be sold to another private party).

Obviously, this situation doesn't come up a lot, but you could understand something similar happening with the intermarriage between the Rooney and Mara families. It is conceivable that one of those kids could be set to inherit a piece of each team, but the NFL wouldn't allow it and therefore the estate planners would avoid it.

We just discussed it. My GF and I are getting at least five shares each. (Last of the big spenders right?) Once I'm a stockholder in the Packers, the Cleveland Browns can kiss my ass good-bye. I'll have over two grand wrapped up in the Packers. This is the excuse I've been waiting for! B)

I think one would be sufficient. Use the remaining grand apiece and pick up some Super Bowl shareholder swag with it. :D

nav-logo.png

In '97 I had to fill out a form and fax it in. The reports I'm hearing claim that they're planning to make share acquisition available online, making the process pretty simple if true.

And at the time I was offered the money, I didn't know it but replacement certificates are available by signing an affidavit and paying something like $15. So yeah, in retrospect I missed out. But frankly, I probably wouldn't have sold it anyway. My hypocrisy only goes so far.

nav-logo.png

Please remember that I haven't read the new offering circular, nor have I read the old offering circular since 1997 or 1998, but in that situation, my understanding would be yes. The new owners would have to divest themselves of the shares, as they failed to meet ownership requirements. That could mean giving them to another family member who wasn't conflicted out of ownership, or selling them (which, under the shareholder agreement, means returning them to the team, since they cannot be sold to another private party).

Obviously, this situation doesn't come up a lot, but you could understand something similar happening with the intermarriage between the Rooney and Mara families. It is conceivable that one of those kids could be set to inherit a piece of each team, but the NFL wouldn't allow it and therefore the estate planners would avoid it.

Gothamite's right - any form of "cross-ownership" of two or more NFL franchises is an absolute no-no, even if it's a single share. The NFL Constitution and Bylaws is explicit on that point.

That said, a transfer from one family member to another is possible outside of inheritance. So something like a Mara/Rooney scenario wouldn't be too much of a problem.

nav-logo.png

True, it would be simple enough to accomplish. And, unfortunately, not a problem most of us will ever have to face.

Even if offered a decent amount of cash, I'd still be very wary of selling my paper. You'd have to lie on an affadavit, which I wouldn't recommend. Especially when that paper might surface again, with your name and address on it.

I kicked myself back in '97 for not picking up a share. Definitely not missing out again.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm intrigued by this SB ring benefit for shareholders. Gothamite, you said "special" rings; do you know the details? Surely it's not identical to a player ring (who could afford $30K in any case?). Does anyone have one, or has anyone seen one?

Edit: never mind. Google is your friend. Last year's edition, from The Wearing of the Green (and Gold):

===

These rings start at $399 for White Lustrium® and cubic zirconia, and go up to $2400 for 10k white gold and diamonds. They are available only to shareholders, and only through the Packers Pro Shop.

2010_ShareholderRing1.jpg

2010_ShareholderRing3.jpg

2010_ShareholderRing2.jpg

===

BTW, don't recall a thread on their player rings but they're pretty nice.

110616allrings420.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived